You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Graeme Souness the Player

Red Nick

I can't be arsed with all the petty squabbling on this thread, however I would like share this great Souness moment. It took me ages to find this - I have never seen the documentary from which this clip came, but it includes my favourite humourous Souness clip. I guess you have all seen him plant the flag at Galatasary's game against their firce rivals - well this is similar.

For the benefit of some of the younger guys I want to explain this. My memory and descriptions are a bit amateurish - but I don't mean to come across patronising - many of you probably all ready know how AWESOME a player he was. This clip shows his tough edge.

It is from a halcyon period of football in the early 80's. We had a tough midfielder called Jimmy Case. He was a hard player with a short fuse and always ready to mix it. In fact I did hear that Case nicked the 'This is Anfield' sign when he left and people were to scared to stop him. Anyway this clip shows what happened when he tangled with Souness (then playing for Boro [?] ). The clip starts at 06:14 and goes to 06:30.

CLASS!

[YOUTUBE]i0WlYxGsn-E[/YOUTUBE]

Fantastic player, one of our best ever. However I find it incredibly difficult to forgive him for giving an exclusive interview to the scum in the full knowledge of what he was doing, after undertaking in writing to one of the fans never to allow his players to give interview to that rag.

Jesus, some threads really can go weird.

Anyway. Souness is my favourite ever player. I loved the man. He was amazing. He was Roy Keanes aggression with Gerrards ability. A proper legend and the nearest player to challenging Kenny for our greatest every player accolade.

• Upvote 2

To be fair to Souness he was on Sky last week after the Debrecen game and you can still see he has an affinity for the club and I remember reading him saying his son was a red recently. He showed a lot of class and respect for the current manager as well as you could see Keys was trying to goad him into having a pop at Rafa but he refrained from it probably because of his own experiences as manager here but all the same, he was very diplomatic and respectful after the game towards Rafa.

He ballsed it up as a manager that's true and commited a cardinal sin with the Sun but I have no beef with Souness at all anymore. He made a massive error of judgement and paid the consequences. His reign was doomed from then on. I always like to think of the time he allowed Sir Bob to lift the League Cup in 83 in Bob's last season which showed his humility.

• Upvote 2

To be fair to Souness he was on Sky last week after the Debrecen game and you can still see he has an affinity for the club and I remember reading him saying his son was a red recently. He showed a lot of class and respect for the current manager as well as you could see Keys was trying to goad him into having a pop at Rafa but he refrained from it probably because of his own experiences as manager here but all the same, he was very diplomatic and respectful after the game towards Rafa.

He ballsed it up as a manager that's true and commited a cardinal sin with the Sun but I have no beef with Souness at all anymore. He made a massive error of judgement and paid the consequences. His reign was doomed from then on. I always like to think of the time he allowed Sir Bob to lift the League Cup in 83 in Bob's last season which showed his humility he possessed.

Great post.

He ballsed it up as a manager that's true and commited a cardinal sin with the Sun but I have no beef with Souness at all anymore. He made a massive error of judgement and paid the consequences. His reign was doomed from then on. I always like to think of the time he allowed Sir Bob to lift the League Cup in 83 in Bob's last season which showed his humility.

Good post but he is the opposite when he is on RTE. And he still does have a pop at Benitez when is he is on sky too.

I only started this thread to show how stupid some people can be ie its alright to start a thread about Graeme Souness the Ex Player but not Xabi Alonso Ex Player

Theres only one Souness thread Nick. There are plenty of Alonso threads. One more was not needed.

Also, Souness is not an emotive issue anymore. Alonso very much is. You saw where the other Alonso thread ended up, yet still started another one. So what did you expect?

My favourite all time player fo the club.

In reality you can trace our slow demise to the day he left the club

A truly great player which it took 2 player to repalce him

Never truly appreciated by the fans and the press.

He was the final peice of the jigsaw in the Paisley dynasty

Shame he was a cunt as a person

I agree that he was magnificent but that bit in bold is bollocks.

I recently asked my dad if he thought that Gerrard was our greatest ever player. He said he wouldn't even consider Stevie to be our greatest ever midfielder because he rates Souness higher.

As a midfielder, no doubt he's right. Gerrard is probably our most complete player though. Whether he's our greatest I haven't decided, but throw Kenny in the mix and you've got three good shouts for it.

I recently asked my dad if he thought that Gerrard was our greatest ever player. He said he wouldn't even consider Stevie to be our greatest ever midfielder because he rates Souness higher.

I would have loved to have seen him play.

If you can get a dvd of our 78-79 season watch him because he was brilliant he was Roy Keane without the ball and Glenn Hoddle with the ball.

My favourite Souness bit was when Ray Kennedy got sent off for retaliating in a league cup game at Highbury against Peter Nicholas and in the replay Souness broke Nicholas leg within 10 minutes and just stood over him as he was carried off on the stretcher, Id love to know what he said to him as he was leaving the pitch.

The most influential player I ever saw, We lost games when he was injured because the side never functioned properly without him. Souey had more guile in his little finger than StevieG has in his whole body. The best midfield player Liverpool ever had and the best captain - I'd love to see how Arsenal's fancy Dan midfield would get on playing against him, or Ronaldo doing step overs! Never replaced as a player - he was Molby and McMahon rolled into one and then a little bit more.

The most influential player I ever saw, We lost games when he was injured because the side never functioned properly without him. Souey had more guile in his little finger than StevieG has in his whole body. The best midfield player Liverpool ever had and the best captain - I'd love to see how Arsenal's fancy Dan midfield would get on playing against him, or Ronaldo doing step overs! Never replaced as a player - he was Molby and McMahon rolled into one and then a little bit more.

It always took two players to do his job ie Macdonald & Molby in Double winning year.

I am pretty sure Everton wouldnt have won there titles if he had been in the team.

The biggest loss to a team than any other player I can think of, Dalglish was replaced by Beardsley but we never replaced souness with that calibre of player

• 9 years later...
On 11/29/2009 at 12:25 PM, Peter Cormack said:

Accurate reflection of probably our most complete midfielder ever as a captain protected all the flair players around him he was immense.