You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Irish paedo shame

Elmyn Noos

from the BBC website:

A damning report into suspected catholicsm in Dublin has criticised the paedophile hierarchy for covering up the abuse.

The report investigated how paedos and state authorities handled allegations of catholicsm against 46 paedos.

It found that the paedos placed their own reputation above the protection of children in their care.

It also said that state authorities facilitated the cover-up by allowing the paedos to operate outside the laws of common sense.

Reacting to the report, the current Archpaedo of Dublin Diarmuid O'Fiddler said "no words of apology would ever be sufficient" and offered "to each and every survivor, my apology, my sorrow and my shame for what happened to them - that being they were converted to catholicsm".

He added that the "many good paedos of the archdiocese" shared his sense of shame.

The "Report of the Commission of Investigation into the Paedo Archdiocese of Dublin" covered a period from 1975 to 2004.

It has laid bare a culture of concealment where paedo leaders prioritised the protection of their own institution above that of vulnerable children in their care, converting them to the ridiculous religion.

Victims

The report said the avoidance of public outrage, which would inevitably follow high-profile prosecutions, appeared more important than preventing abusers from repeating their crimes.

Victim Marie Collins: "This is the end of a very long road"

Instead of reporting the allegations to civic authorities, those accused of horrific crimes were systematically shuffled from parish to parish where they could prey on new, unsuspecting victims.

The report stated: "The Dublin archdiocese's pre-occupations in dealing with cases of child conversion to catholicm, at least until the mid 1990s, were the maintenance of secrecy, the avoidance of scandal, the protection of the reputation of the Paedos, and the preservation of its assets."

It also said that the archdiocese "did its best to avoid any application of the law of the common sense".

It found that four paedos - John Charles McKiddyToucher who died in 1973, Dermot MJ O'Neverland who died in 1984, Kevin McNonce who died in 1987, and retired Desmond "Gary" Glitter - did not hand over information on abusers.

The report said that authorities in the Dublin archdiocese who were dealing with complaints of child conversion "were all very well educated people".

It added that, considering many of them had qualifications in canon law, and in some cases civil law, their claims of ignorance were "very difficult to accept".

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a national disgrace and shame. Something everyone knew was happening but turned a blind eye.

I remember going to school in the 70's in Dublin and the church and Priests in general had absolute power over everything. Nobody dared think about saying a word for fear of how they would be perceived in society.

No words can describe how this was allowed to happen and be constantly covered up.

It's a national disgrace and shame. Something everyone knew was happening but turned a blind eye.

I remember going to school in the 70's in Dublin and the church and Priests in general had absolute power over everything. Nobody dared think about saying a word for fear of how they would be perceived in society.

No words can describe how this was allowed to happen and be constantly covered up.

This is right. These days you do something wrong to a neighbour you get given out to. In the 50's and 60's you were sent off by the parish priest to one of these homes.

When the Aussie government apologised for the treatment of kids by the Christian Brothers last week there was a story on the radio about a little boy that the priests in a children's home took a liking to. The priests held a competition to see who could be the first to rape him 100 times. They told him they liked his blue eyes so he used to punch himself in the eyes hoping they'd be less attractive.

I was brought up Catholic and as I got older I realised it was the most corrupt, immoral organisation in the world. Treatment of the single mothers sent to their care (Magdelene Sisters), kiddy fiddling, non-repatriation of refugee Jews after WW2, threatening to withdraw aid from Bosnia if rape camp victims were offered abortions...the list goes on.

Might be an idea to change the thread name to "Catholic Paedo shame" to be fair.....its pretty international and according to the stats, no more prevalent in the Catholic church than any other. Having said that, hanging is too good for those b@stards

No. I think the systematic endemic covering up of these poor kids being converted to catholiscm is far more prevalent in Ireland than just about anywhere else. It seems to me that paedos in the rest of the world are just happy with a quick fuck.

Sick irish bastards.

And still they hold the power over the state which means none of these Priests can be named. It's incredable.

The Priest that did our sex education in school is now locked up, however, he got a six month suspended sentence for raping 4 boys. He then amazingly appealed as he wanted to go and work in America and the appeal judge locked him up for 5 years. The Priest who performed my sisters and brother-in-laws wedding is now locked up also. Fuckers are everywhere.

It's a national disgrace and calls into question the whole church in Ireland. Yes, there are plenty of decent priests, but there were plenty of decent Nazis also. Shut the whole fucking thing down.

Father Ryan stood in for Father Riley who was ill. During confession a man admitted getting oral sex from a prostitute.

Father Ryan didn't know how to react so stopped a passing altar boy for advice.

Father Ryan "What does Father Riley give for a blow job?"

Altar boy "A Mars bar and a packet of crisp".

It's the oldest paedophile ring in the world... they should probably arrest and prosecute the ringleader, he lives in Italy; former member of the Nazi party, looks like the Emperor off Star Wars, shouldn't be too hard to spot.

Yuck. I bet it's all saggy and prolapsed.

It's totally wrong that it was hidden by people at the top. A total disgrace to the nation and they should be held responsible for there crimes against vulnerable children. The ones that knew it was going on should also be punished for letting it happen.

So the priests are all paedos - doesn't mean the average follower of the religion is all bad.

Oh wait a sec, your average church going catholics are a bunch of hypocritical cliquey pious middle-class wankers trying to absolve themselves of any obligation to help those outside their little group by organising the odd village fayre usually the proceeds of which benefit either their own church or the school their own kids go to, and almost always motivated by raising their own profile in their local community.

It's not just the priests here. It's the whole fucking deal.

Corrupt

Ancient

Two-faced

Homophobic

Out of touch

Loathesome

Illogical

Child-fucking

Sexist

Members only club

I sincerely hope that they identify and prosecute the garda (police) involved in the cover up. It is nearly as bid as bad as the abuse because of the fact that the poor kids involved depended on the police to bring their abusers to justice but they just covered it up. These people need / deserve to be publicly named and locked.

It's a terrible shame on our country and an terrible indictment, both of how backward we were, and the power that the church had up to a few years ago.

This is not an area that I have had any direct contact with (i.e. I don't know anyone affected) but I feel myself getting madder and madder as I type.

It's time as a society that we once and for all sorted this mess out by bring all those involved to justice and not allow anyone involved, church or state, tohide behind legal or other privilidge.

So the priests are all paedos - doesn't mean the average follower of the religion is all bad.

Oh wait a sec, your average church going catholics are a bunch of hypocritical cliquey pious middle-class wankers trying to absolve themselves of any obligation to help those outside their little group by organising the odd village fayre usually the proceeds of which benefit either their own church or the school their own kids go to, and almost always motivated by raising their own profile in their local community.

It's not just the priests here. It's the whole fucking deal.

Corrupt

Ancient

Two-faced

Homophobic

Out of touch

Loathesome

Illogical

Child-fucking

Sexist

Members only club

Are you on a wind up? Seriously.