You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I am Losing Faith

Guest LFD

Have You Lost Faith In Benitez?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Have You Lost Faith In Benitez?

• Yes - Time for a change and now.
    • Losing Faith - But wait till the end of the season.
    • No - He's the right man for the job.

I get labeled (unfairly in my opinion), very much pro Rafa. That I don’t think is correct I am pro Liverpool and as a result I support the manager and I like to give him time and I judge him over a long period of time rather than one or two games.

However despite supporting the manager on the boards, especially with the regards to his activity in the transfers market, I must admit I am questioning strongly whether he is the right man to take us further.

Now some people think Benitez has bought well and in Reina, Agger, Mascherano, Alonso and Torres – it is easy to see why. However the counter argument, you only have to mention Degen, Voronin, Dossena, Josemi etc and then you can see why it is a topic that creates so much debate on here.

However it is not his activity in the market or the lack of wages (before Catch22 mentions it) that I have a problem with. I am more concerned at the thing Benitez can control and where I see little improvement, a failure learn from mistakes, bizarre decisions, stubbornness and a willingness to change.

I don’t think finances change the fact Benitez has:

- Played players in the wrong position: Skrtel at right back (Boro), Crouch on the left wing (Reading), Cisse on the wing etc.

- Picking players out of form: Kuyt and Carragher playing regardless of from.

- Picking the wrong team: Lucas ahead of Aquilani recently, Hamann not in the Champs League Final, Crouch not in the Champs League Final.

- Odd Subs: Giving Aquilani 30 seconds yesterday, subbing Gerrard for showing too much passion in th Derby after changing the game by winning the penalty and getting their player sent off.

- Only having one top striker at the club.

- His treatment of Alonso (publically saying he would sell at right price), Crouch (lack of games) and Cisse.

- Not giving players confidence: Such as Babel who has never had a run of games in his best position (where he says is upfront), Benayoun not starting a game after getting a hatrick the match before.

- The fact we never look like scoring at corners.

- The fact we look incredibly vulnerable at defending set plays (questionable zonal marking?).

- Rotating at the beginning of his reign when it was clear the changes were affecting performances… for example swapping Finnan and Riise for Josemi and Traore made a big difference to the team.

- His predictable subs, hardly ever making one before 60 minutes, unless we are two or three goals behind.

There are probably more and more odd decisions and methods...

I mean are we out of the Champs League, The League Cup and The League because we haven’t had enough finances? I don’t think so.

I am beginning to lose faith, someone please persuade me why Benitez should continue and why we wouldn’t be better off with someone like Hiddink who can surely get more out of the players we have. Someone who can give them confidence (Babel), improve our set plays, make the subs when needed, pick the right team and get more out of the resources than Benitez is currently doing.

Is it just me losing faith? Have you lost faith and want a change? Or are you fully behind Benitez... if so please persuade me why I should be., because I am losing faith!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am losing faith....

In your apparent need to start a new thread every time you want to raise a point. Why is that? Do you feel an undeserved sense of self importance? Can you not just put it into one of the threads on that topic? (and there's a thread about everything on here).

And with every bad performance and shit result, I feel myself losing confidence in the manager. If we lose on Sunday, that may be breaking point.

He's clueless and lacks the bollocks to win titles here. Whatever we've won under him so far was before he had fully implemented his methods and ideas. If we do turn things around this season it will inspite of him and down to the likes of Stevie over performing.

I'd get rid now before we completely fall apart and give the new guy enough time to get to grips with the squad and have a good run at 4th.

Haven't lost faith but it feels like it's on it's way. Not sure how I'll feel on sunday if we get beat. So many of us have waited for Aquilani with hope that somehow he can live upto expectations and help the side play better, but he's not even getting on the pitch, and sunday will be too rough for him apparently.

And maybe Blackburn will be too rough too? If so, why's he here?

Just confused and pretty gutted, but still with some hope.

I love the fact he has been been made red via the negs

I don't care about negs, never have done.

I give an opinion if people disagree and neg me, I don't care.

There isn't a poll option I can vote on. I have completely and utterly lost faith, but I don't really believe in sacking managers in the middle of the season.

The thing is last season Chelsea hired Hiddink mid season and with the same players he got them performing.

The thing is last season Chelsea hired Hiddink mid season and with the same players he got them performing.

Sure, but I could think of plenty of counter-examples if I could be arsed. You wouldn't have to look very hard. Tottenham and Newcastle have probably done it twice in a season more than once.

Personally I think if Rafa: (1) ditched Kuyt; (2) got Aquilani playing;(3) got us looking strong once more on setplays, then he'd get a lot more patience from the fans. Unfortunately he is such a stubborn man he will just keep plodding on with his own way and our backroom staff will simply let him down - he needs a friendly face to tell him some home truths and help him out a bit.

The owners are the bigger problem, and Rafa is the lesser of two evils.

The owners are a seperate issue. He's either the right man or he isn't. Lets be fair, he's not the easiest person to work with is he, and there's no reason why a new manager would have the same problems with the board, even with any percieved financial limitations, which has been hugely overplayed by the Benitez spin doctors.

The squad is still packed full of talent and any top manager worth his salt would take up the challenge.