You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

There are two types of fans.

Jens

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the same 'EVERYBODY' who thinks £20m on an injured player was a bit of a gamble but the manager probably knows best, only to watch in disbelief as the £20m fit player stays on the bench..

So you are more and this everybody are more equipped to judge whether a player is able to start. More equipped than professionals like doctors, physions, coaches and managers. What the fuck Aquilani would have done to solve our problem is beyond me. Our main issue is in defense, we are still scoring goals, even without our main goalscorer.

Probably the same 'EVERYBODY' who was delighted with last year's run-in to the end of season, knew strength in depth and over-reliance on Torres and Gerrard was a problem and watches in disbelief as we start the season with a POORER squad..

And who is to blame. We sell Alonso, Arbeloa, Leto, Keane and a few others for 50-60m depending on bonus payements and we reinvest only 40m of that? This is when we were the closest to the League we have ever been and we should be investing to improve the squad not keep it the same (or worse in your opinion). Arbeloa, Hyypia and Jonhson needed replacing and that's all we've been afforded to do.

Most sensible people didn't kick off at the issues you mention. There are more fundamental problems now - squad strength and the £20m on a non-player (yes, he'll play eventually: one to watch for 2010-11 eh?) are the signs of bad management.

How the are you supposed to improve a squad if you aren't even given the money to even replace those who have left with adequate replacements? Aquilani's recouperation is taking longer than expected. Hardly the manager's fault. He can only go on advice given by doctors and medical staff as he doesn't have any expertise in this field, bit like you, me and most others. There are some issues I personally have problems with, but who I am to say I am a better judge than Liverpool's manager and coaching staff?

"History has fuck all to do with anything now", you say. It's over 4 years since Istanbul. Over three years since a trophy.

Which also conicides with the worst period in our history financially in comparison to our rivals. There was no Chelsea or (now) Man City in Houllier days or Evans days or Sounness days. We weren't outpent by Spurs in the 90's or early 00's. The competetion at the top is at its toughest point yet. Long gone our the days teams would come up from lower divisions and win the League. (Leeds 88/89 21st 2nd tier, 89/90 promoted to 1st tier, 91-92 League champions). We broke the transfer record (British) in 1995 (I think). We'll never do that in our current situation.

We are no longer on a level playing field with Chelsea, Man U, Spurs, Man City and now Arsenal-(revenue wise), so how fans can realistically expect us to challenge for the title every year is beyond me? Rafa is not perfect, nor completely blameless, but who the fuck would be? He, and maybe Capello are the only 2 managers that have won League titles with teams that where funded unfavourabley (largely) in comparison to their main rivals. Not Hiddink, not Mourinho, not Martin O'Neill, not Alex Ferguson, not Arsene Wenger, Rafa Benetiz at Valencia. It is no guareentee that he'll do it here, butif he goes there is a very good chance Liverpool will be worse off, whilst only minimal chance we will get better.

Apologies mate but what are you implying if you say you aren't greedy because you go to matches?

No not that at all. What I meant was that the "greedy" fans are the one's that only turn up at the big games - cup finals etc. but don't travel to the far off less glamorous places like Hull or Luton etc. if you get me? They want the quick success and can't grasp the whole long term building that's sometimes needed for success.

No not that at all. What I meant was that the "greedy" fans are the one's that only turn up at the big games - cup finals etc. but don't travel to the far off less glamorous places like Hull or Luton etc. if you get me? They want the quick success and can't grasp the whole long term building that's sometimes needed for success.

Fair enough mate - my bad. I totally misread what you meant.

You are spot on - the only option for Liverpool Football Club is build long-term. The money isn't there for a quick 2-3 stint at the top. We can't rebuild like United within 3 or so years. It's another reason why I can't understand the calls from Liverpool fans for Hiddink, Mourinho and the like. They haven't built any club they have managed. Just drop by for a quick shag and an ego-boost and off they go like the great managers they are let on to be.

Exactly - totally agree. Look what Mourinho is at with Inter at the minute. Hardly anything amazing. I wouldn't want him near us. We'd be even more negative than we can be now.

Hiddink is a decent manager who gets the best out of average players. Hard to tell how good he would be in the PL since he only had a short spell, but nearly any manager could do a decent job at Chelsea with the players and funds they have available so it doesn't tell us much about him with regards the PL. He was also crap in Spain with RM and Real Betis (i think) so Rafa's a better proposition than him IMO.

Benitez is a very good manager who also gets the best out of average players. Yes he makes some fucked up decisions at times but I think we should judge him at the end of this season instead of all the knee-jerk reactions going round at the min.