You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A win and a clean sheet.

captainharris

Well, now as you put it like that. Yes, a truly superb performance.

The performance was (as has been so far this season) pretty shit. But people on here are not reacting because of how we played tonight, but because Lyon didn't get the result we needed.

Everyone knew that our result didn't matter as much as what was happening elsewhere tonight. Yet everyone shouting 'Rafa out' and other such bollocks even though we did what we needed to do.

I hope the people who traveled to the match enjoyed the trip because the team just were not at the races. We won a match witch should have been a lot easier, Rafa's subs were a bit strange, When are we going to see Aquilani, A lot of money has been spent for him.

I hope the people who traveled to the match enjoyed the trip because the team just were not at the races. We won a match witch should have been a lot easier, Rafa's subs were a bit strange, When are we going to see Aquilani, A lot of money has been spent for him.

Somebodies been respecting Richard Keys' opinion...that's basically a summary of what he said after the game.

Its our first win in a while and I'm an eternal optimist so I'm going to hope we can use it to kick on to a run of form.

Everyone knew that our result didn't matter as much as what was happening elsewhere tonight. Yet everyone shouting 'Rafa out' and other such bollocks even though we did what we needed to do.

If we did what we needed to we'd be in the knockout stages like any other half-decent team. So please shut the fuck up and understand that people are unhappy at the way Benitez is handling things this season, and rightly so.

It was dire. Anyone who thinks we could play like that and win against a team that's better than mid-table in the Hungarian League has been oon the Valium all night.

I do actually think we'll eventually put a bit of a run together but it'll be far too little, far too late. It seems to be a common theme with our seasons and i worry how many of our top players feel the same way.

So please shut the fuck up...

Why is there a need to try to be polite if you wish to be rude? Just be rude. And a win is a win, only thing that matters now is the derby. Then you are guaranteed to have ample opportunities to be just plain rude with the bitters, no please stuff allowed there.

OPEN YOUR EYES IDIOTS.

We're gonna march on from here to Hamburg with 15 clean sheets along the way... now that's optimism.

Role on Sunday. Another win and the confidence will start to creep back. We're not as bad as the results this season suggest. Just need a run - without injuries.

Yikes

A win is a win and i'll take the clean sheet for sure but tonite was trully awful.

Playin 2 defensive midfielders was all wrong..Game cried out for invention and we lacked any fight or spirit throughout.

But obviously Aquilani needs match fitness and that is why he got a 30-second runout. Oh the bravery and boldness of our wonderful manager!

But obviously Aquilani needs match fitness and that is why he got a 30-second runout. Oh the bravery and boldness of our wonderful manager!

Jesus, Mary, and FUCKING JOSEPH!

How many more times do I and the other people on this forum with an IQ higher than that of a boiled cabbage have to spell it out to people like you?

Our defence has lost its confidence and I'm afraid the manager has lost confidence in them as well. Thats why he's playing 2 defensive midfielders, to protect our ropey defence and solidify our midfield. The only problem being that in order for that formation to work you need a creative central mifielder and good wingers/wingbacks and in that we are very lop-sided.

Rafa has two options in my book.

1. Persist with this formation and squad selection, get a couple of 1-0 thus giving the defence more confidence so enabling us to eventually revert back to our preferred formation/team selection.

or

2. Have Masch protecting the back four and central midfiled on his tod and hope we can do a Newcastle (Keegan era) and score more than the opposisiton.

Considering option 2 will still leave us with a defence lacking in trust and fans with boarderline heart failure I know what option I'd prefer!

If we did what we needed to we'd be in the knockout stages like any other half-decent team. So please shut the fuck up and understand that people are unhappy at the way Benitez is handling things this season, and rightly so.

Your politeness knows no bounds.

I'm not happy with how we played. We desperately needed something last night to at least give us a bit of confidence to move forward. Its been a dreadful two months, but there's more games to play and hopefully at least a win and a clean sheet is a basis for us to move onwards and upwards.

There's nothing we can do to change what's happened. We can still get fourth this season, we can still win the UEFA cup and we can still get a trip to wembley.

Am I happy with how we're playing? Fuck no. I don't really think we could have had a worse start to the season.

Can we turn things around? Yes.

I'm not a Rafa apologist. He's made some strange decisions. But I support this team. Bitching and moaning about what might have been is pointless now.

Another win and clean sheet on Sunday and i'll be even happier.