You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Positive Thinking

T0RRES

I sit here typing this with the hope that adopting a positive outlook for tonight will be the single biggest lift for me as a fan, when facing the uncertain.

I have been accused of adopting a degree of negativity in my threads however I feel that they have been just, despite the mixed reactions they have received.

The point of this thread however is to adopt that positive mentality when all seems lost, this is what makes us special, Galatasaray & Istanbul, immediately spring to mind.

Despite all our of differing views we can do noting more that back the lads 100%, hats off to those that have traveled, all criticism and indifference's aside, I hold a great degree of optimism that tonight might just go according to plan.

I know its out of our hands (if we get a result), however I remember being at anfield when united lost the league to having failed to get a result at West Ham, it doesn't happen often but sometimes we get a fortunate roll of the dice, tonight's that night!

I think the manager is most in need of positivity. I'm fed up with Rafa parroting a list of excuses (ie injuries, haven't had our best XI out, etc, etc). he needs to instil in the players that WHOEVER is playing, regardless of their cost, has to fight for this club. Inspire youngsters to believe that this is their chance to make a breakthrough; fringe players to become regulars. But his constant excuse-making is not only diminishing the confidence of those he sends out to play for us (subliminal message = you're not really good enough) simply giving the players a justification for failure (don't worry lads, it's all down to injuries). Where's the rafa of 2005 gone?

I sit here typing this with the hope that adopting a positive outlook for tonight will be the single biggest lift for me as a fan, when facing the uncertain.

I have been accused of adopting a degree of negativity in my threads however I feel that they have been just, despite the mixed reactions they have received.

The point of this thread however is to adopt that positive mentality when all seems lost, this is what makes us special, Galatasaray & Istanbul, immediately spring to mind.

Despite all our of differing views we can do noting more that back the lads 100%, hats off to those that have traveled, all criticism and indifference's aside, I hold a great degree of optimism that tonight might just go according to plan.

I know its out of our hands (if we get a result), however I remember being at anfield when united lost the league to having failed to get a result at West Ham, it doesn't happen often but sometimes we get a fortunate roll of the dice, tonight's that night!

Sorry im always the pessimist.. you should change your title to wishful thinking, i just feel fiorentina will want it more and are a harder prospect to beat at home. They are a better side than lyon in the CL games ive seen so far.

Its just so shit we let it get out of our own hands.

Sorry im always the pessimist.. you should change your title to wishful thinking, i just feel fiorentina will want it more and are a harder prospect to beat at home. They are a better side than lyon in the CL games ive seen so far.

Its just so shit we let it get out of our own hands.

Put it this way, if by some miracle we do stay in the competition tonight then this might be the kick up the arse for our team, a real season turner if you will.

Sadly, its more easier said than done as its not in our hands anymore.

• 9 years later...

3 points ahead. 

Only 1 team managing to beat us this season and I'm still putting that down to luck.

Improved defensively. 

Core players starting to click. 

Some areas to improve like depth and attacking options but that'll come. 

I think it's worth remembering that noke of us predicted we'd be here in Feb. We are where we are with a massive opportunity ahead. One game at a time and the last two games should be enough to push on from. 

We've been brilliant this season. Up the fucking reds. 

• Upvote 1

There's a tiny part of me that thinks Everton might win, their fans will play it off and claim it as a moral victory, and they'll tell the world that we're irrelevant and they're not arsed about us, and that they aren't as bitter as we make out.

In reality though they'll be secretly frothing at the mouth and assaulting their wives and pets. 

So while they claim their class and dignity trophy, we go one step closer to the actual premiership trophy. 

And if that doesn't happen then at the very least it halves the amount of rest that City have before playing a tough game vs Chelsea. So if Everton don't do the job then I'm sure Chelsea will. 

2 points from Leicester and West Ham is not great, but these things happen. The problem is the performances. Following on from a poor performance against Palace, we look in tailspin right now.

Still fancy Chelsea to take points off them this week. They are a top class team when they want it and City will be tired by the end of the week. Having said that, if City walk away with two results in the bag, it's been a great few days for them. I do think Everton will give them a game but if they take points off them, it's a bonus.

We have a similar week playing United (a),watford(h) and everton(a). If someone offered me being 1 point ahead after Everton game, i'd be very happy. 

The worry is we aren't tired, we just look devoid of confidence and belief. My feeling is that we will be a different team with trent and gini returning and be back more to what we were a few weeks ago. If we get Joe Back even for the end of March, it could be a major boost. Mo and Bobby have been terrible the last two games. They need a rocket up their asses.

The one positive from last night is that it's a tough game out of the way. I'm glad we don't play west ham again.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

2 points from Leicester and West Ham is not great, but these things happen. The problem is the performances. Following on from a poor performance against Palace, we look in tailspin right now.

Still fancy Chelsea to take points off them this week. They are a top class team when they want it and City will be tired by the end of the week. Having said that, if City walk away with two results in the bag, it's been a great few days for them. I do think Everton will give them a game but if they take points off them, it's a bonus.

We have a similar week playing United (a),watford(h) and everton(a). If someone offered me being 1 point ahead after Everton game, i'd be very happy. 

The worry is we aren't tired, we just look devoid of confidence and belief. My feeling is that we will be a different team with trent and gini returning and be back more to what we were a few weeks ago. If we get Joe Back even for the end of March, it could be a major boost. Mo and Bobby have been terrible the last two games. They need a rocket up their asses.

The one positive from last night is that it's a tough game out of the way. I'm glad we don't play west ham again.

Our problem is a lack of quality cover for the front 3. They look like they are treading water alot of the time. Show have brought Wilson back in Jan to give them a rest.