You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Question re: 4th place

Guest podge

If we were to finish in 4th spot which if we can get

a good run together is looking increasingly likely with

Owen, Baros, JC etc coming back from injury, would

that be enough for Houllier to keep his job & get a

fairly decent transfer kitty in the summer to strengthen

the team for a better push next season or would

Moores give him the shove & get someone else in?

Me thinks it would be enough but I'd rather he went.

Just wondering like.

For the first time in a long time, I think Moores realises that his strangehold on the club is having a detremental effect on how the club is doing.

Fans, other shareholders have had enough of his my way is the only way attitude, he loves the club of that there is no doubt he is just too loyal and needs either through a change of attitude himself or outside influence to get a mean streak and if things haven't improved, like we only just scrap into Champs league GH will be let go.

If, when we have our full strength side out between now and the end of the season, we manage to put together a great string of results and performances and secure 4th comfortably (even push for 3rd, the way Chelsea are faltering?) then Houllier will be given another season and probably some cash. If we scrape in 4th, and not play particularly convincingly or finish 5th (or worst), he'll go. That's what I think, anyway.

Agreed. It's a sad day when Liverpool fans accept 4th as their best hope! Do we really want to be associated with the likes of Fulham, Charlton VILLA?!!?! :no

Saying that, I'd like to see GH stay for another season. Can't think of anyone better. Let's face it, it's the players who are to blame. Why shouldn't we be able to challenge for the title just because we've got a few missing? I thought this was a squad game?

Think we should clearly be pushing for Third. If we get sufficient points to give us a realistic chance that should ensure 4th. 5th could be acceptable if say Newcastle won all their remaining games (except at Anfield) and we only dropped points at Old Trafford Highbury. In that case we would have done sufficient to say it has changed. Bit like 2002 - 80 points and second - couldnt ask for more events beat us - same this season - if we got a scrappy 4th it would be worse than an unlucky 5th in some ways.

I think this is a good point.

Ged said something last night during his interview of knowing 'how many games we have to win to get fourth'.

I think we should be trying to win them all soft lad and get as high as we can. If that's only fourth it's still pretty sad state of affairs given two years ago but we can't settle for fourth

For me unless we really have a great end of season and easily get 4th, GH must go.

He does not show me any confidence in taking this team forward and winning the premiership, Manure, Arse, Chelsea all moved forward after the year we finished 2nd, we went back simply not good enough.:$

I think we should try and take it one game at a time and not get too carried away and start dreaming about 3rd. We still have a problem at home and we still let in too many goals.

One game doesn't take away the fact that we've been pretty awful for most of this season. Let's begin by beating Villa at home on Saturday and then take it from there. I want to see us put together a run of results before I will start talking about 4th place being ours.

True, it's annoying that pundits and the like react to every game as if it's the last of the season! Lose on Saturday and the papers will be saying we're doomed, win the next and we're real contenders! Our saving grace is that there's a lot of the season left and the rest of the teams in the league (bar the top 3) are awful. We should easily win 4th. As soon as a bit of home form comes back we'll be right on track. Let's just hope that happens and our year-long slump can finally come to an end!

Guest Bellflower

Whether we're 4th or 14th what really matters is we are 20 points off the top.

Sorry, injuries or not, that is not acceptable. Thank you, goodbye.

We will get 4th place no problem. If you don't win the champioship then 2nd/3rd/4th there is no difference. Qualification for the the CL is a must for financial reasons, to strengthen the squad and be able to pay the wages. I'd be happy with a CL place every season as long as we are not playing boring football.

Qualification every year gives the club a chance to progress. Sacking the manager if he doesn't win the league within 5 years is crazy. On that basis only Wenger, Wilkinson and Dalglish would have kept their jobs in the last 15 years.

Guest Bellflower
We will get 4th place no problem. If you don't win the champioship then 2nd/3rd/4th there is no difference. Qualification for the the CL is a must for financial reasons, to strengthen the squad and be able to pay the wages. I'd be happy with a CL place every season as long as we are not playing boring football.

Qualification every year gives the club a chance to progress. Sacking the manager if he doesn't win the league within 5 years is crazy. On that basis only Wenger, Wilkinson and Dalglish would have kept their jobs in the last 15 years.

There is a world of difference. 4th place only gets you into the qualifying round, and if that goes wrong its another season wasted. Its this 4th place mentality that is holding us back, because if you are happy with that the team's standard only rises to what is necessary to achieve it. A few more years and the gulf between the teams trying to win the league andthose settling for a qualifying place becomes unbridgeable. You don't generate the revenue and you don't attract the players needed to a "qualifying " club regardless of past history.

Like it or not, regardless of what you think of our current players, manager,chairman etc, winning is everything, second is nowhere as THE MAN said.

if everything would be alrite in LFC, it would be like that.

a- gh would not be lfc-manager. what about gordon from south?

b- berger, babbel, litmanen, mcmanaman, fowler, anelka and so on would still be in LFC. in full of motivation. it is the manager"s job to get best out of players.

p.s i must say that, of course i like sg, but he is overrated.