You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We're missing Height & Strength

cestrianred

Yesterday's game (as last years against City) just showed up one of our main problems-a lack of height and strength in the ranks.

Masch and Lucas must be 5'8" at best on a good day, and playing against De Jong, Barry (Kompany last season) were out muscled in the middle. We seriously need a 6ft+ defensive midfielder in the near future (Alberto is about 6' 1" but he's offensive not defensive).

The same lack of height causes problems at set pieces (the up side of Agger's injury yesterday was getting the Greek on for defending set pieces, although I'd have him in the centre for corners rather than Skrtel, whose pathetic effort on Adebayor's goal proved).

With Insua, Benny,Aurellio and others under 6ft, added to not the tallest centre halfs (other than the Greek) we're seriously small & lightweight.

Now before it's pointed out I know that Xabi & Iniesta get by fine being small, but when you're packing that creativity in your team the problems are for the other side.

We lack height, muscle and don't have enough creativity to negate this.

We need bigger more powerful players in future purchases (or loans as is more likely).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Upson wouldn't be too bad. He's somebody who I've always thought's an alright player and he'd obviously help with the home grown quota thing.

This though, has got to be one of the least aggressive Liverpool teams I've ever seen. Paul wrote a great article in the fanzine that I agree with in that last season, we looked an altogether hungrier and more aggressive side in winning aerial balls, defending set-pieces and in the challenge for second balls. Unfortunately, if you can't do those three well, you're in Shit Street, Arizona, and obviously, we didn't do those things nowhere near well enough yesterday.

Height and strength definitely applies to Momo and Sami... but Crouch has the strength of Benayuon. He gets pushed around by everyone short and tall, and thats ultimately my biggest thing against him.

Anyway, when we sell Masch to Barca for big money... I would suspect that if Toure comes back our way then we are in business. However, we just need to get a taller player of like 6'1ish... We were linked to Gokhan Inler last summer and he's 6ft.

I think that Simon Rolfes of Bayer Leverkusen would be a sound purchase for that DM role. He's 6'3 as well as a cracking player.

This though, has got to be one of the least aggressive Liverpool teams I've ever seen.

Agree with this. City’s second goal yesterday demonstrated some of the worst pressing I’ve seen from us since Benitez took over. Starting with Skrtel making a half arsed attempt to pressure them out on the wing, they were able to walk the ball into our goal without one of our players even getting near to them. It was embarrassingly inevitable. Even the shittest team in the world could cause us problems at the moment because we’re defending like absolute amateurs.

Agree with this. City’s second goal yesterday demonstrated some of the worst pressing I’ve seen from us since Benitez took over. Starting with Skrtel making a half arsed attempt to pressure them out on the wing, they were able to walk the ball into our goal without one of our players even getting near to them. It was embarrassingly inevitable. Even the shittest team in the world could cause us problems at the moment because we’re defending like absolute amateurs.

Skrtle got to the ball first and should have dealt with it, its an aspect of his game which grates me, he doesnt go and win the ball enough, instead he tries to let it run out of play, or he concentrates too much on the man, giving needless fouls away.

Go and win the fucking ball Martin

We miss a dominant first ball centre half. Someone who will stick their head in where nobody else wants to, someone to rely on to clear the lines. Without messing Sami about he'd still be here, but the fact is that he's gone and I reckon we need to go and sign Shawcross, but the Yanks won't be able to afford it.

Lorik Cana cost Sunderland £2m LESS than we paid for Lucas Leiva.

Either you are capable of buying players suited for the Premiership, or you are not. After 5 years, you don't really have the excuse of claiming you don't know what is needed.

On a similar (if racially stereotypical point about physicality) theme, why do we have so few black players, esp of African origin or descent?

he's just signed a new deal at Stoke and is the captain.

he's happy there by all accounts.

Well, all that, plus the fact he might not want to come, but we need that type of player. If I could get any English centre half in the window, it'd be him. We need a big grock who wins 95% of his headers. That Greek mess we've signed wins his fair share of headers but is too unreliable in all the other areas. We need someone who will say "MINE!" and deal with it.

Agger tries his best and is quite tall, but we all know his strengths are on the floor, Carragher is the best second ball defender I've seen play for Liverpool and I am concerned about Skrtel at the moment. We need an absolute monster at the back, someone who we can depend on to clear the lines and become our main header of the football. We don't have someone like that at the moment and it's killing us.

I think we'll struggle against Everton on sunday at set pieces. Distin will be a threat.

Terry & Vidic are the same height as Agger and are both an inch smaller than Skrtel.

I think Richard Dunne would have been the perfect replacement for Sami in the summer.

But for the future, I am not sure - David Wheater is 6'5 and is a monster in the air but it is his other qualities I'd worry about.

Football is lacking monster centre halfs who just may be available. Chygrynskyi was the one for me that was going to be the next vidic-esque player but sure Barca just bought him for £23M. Chiellini at Juventus is also a beast of a centre half but you would have to pay over £25M.

I like Luisao. I loved Martin Laursen. Gary Cahill has potential at a bigger club and not under Gary Megson.

I think we'll struggle against Everton on sunday at set pieces. Distin will be a threat.

Terry & Vidic are the same height as Agger and are both an inch smaller than Skrtel.

I think Richard Dunne would have been the perfect replacement for Sami in the summer.

But for the future, I am not sure - David Wheater is 6'5 and is a monster in the air but it is his other qualities I'd worry about.

Football is lacking monster centre halfs who just may be available. Chygrynskyi was the one for me that was going to be the next vidic-esque player but sure Barca just bought him for £23M. Chiellini at Juventus is also a beast of a centre half but you would have to pay over £25M.

I like Luisao. I loved Martin Laursen. Gary Cahill has potential at a bigger club and not under Gary Megson.

I like the look of David Wheater. He is dominant in the air, very strong, he reads the game well and is a goal theat from set pieces. He is still a bit raw, but at only 22 is likely improve. He has Premiership experience and may be a cheaper option than the likes of Cahill and Shawcross, with Boro in the Championship.

Matt Upson is an excellent defender, but he is extremely injury prone and will be 31 next year.

Just one question.

At which point in last years' games against City did our lack of height or strength become apparent?

The home game.

Alonso was out, we had Masch & Lucas, they had Kompany & De Jong in the middle.

That was the game it really struck me, as we were completely over powered.

I've thought about that lack of strength ever since despite our good finish to the (last) season.

I've read rafa quoted as saying we need more height and that he would have bought Turner or someone if he'd had more money.

My reply to this argument is that we have basically the same defence as last season. Sami was fourth choice remember and Arbeloa in my opinion was our worst defender last season.

That said with the way our defence has been ravaged by injury this year letting Sami go was a very bad idea especially when we've replaced him with far less talented but not hopeless Kyrgiakos.

Pet hate of mine this lack of balls in some of our team.

Babel is over 6' and built like a brick sh*thouse, he rarely if ever goes to head a ball with any conviction, yesterday Lucas could have won us the game if he'd just put his head to the ball instead of letting it hit his head (there is a difference and if you've played the game at any level you'll know what I mean) and it's not the first time he's done that, Kyrgiakos was rolling around like he's been shot late on in the game when we were on a break away and got the game stopped, yet there was shite all wrong with him and he was back on in 2 minutes.

I hate seeing our players pull out of tackles they stand at least a 50-50 chance of winning.

Shankly and Paisley wouldn't have put up with shirkers..... ever.