You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who Is 'Untouchable'

Guest LFD

Which players are 'untouchable' under Benitez?

and more importantly, which players should be 'untouchable'?

Personally I think players should be picked on form and not just reputation.

I would say Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Mascherano, Kuyt, Gerrard and Torres are all pretty much 'untouchable'.

But really should Carragher and Kuyt be 'untouchable' when both players are capable of poor runs of form... as we have seen this season, in particular Carragher's case.

I think if Benitez had Skrtel, Agger and Carragher all fit tomoorow Carragher shouldn't play. Plus if Riera and Benayoun are fit, Kuyt should probably also start on the bench.

But under Benitez it seems they are undroppable. Which I don't think is right!

You don't have to start a thread every time you have a thought, you know.

OK Mr Grumpy.

Why don't you just shut up if you don't have anything to offer a thread?!

Posting should be encouraged.

Skrtel has been shocking this season, much worse than Carragher. If all 4 centre backs were fit my choice would be Carra and Agger.

How has Skrtel been worse than Carragher?

He was great against Chelsea and has been injured for a lot of the time.

Carargher should have been sent off against United, was sent off in another game, plus got raped by Hines at West Ham... not to mention other poor performances.

How has Skrtel been worse than Carragher?

He was great against Chelsea and has been injured for a lot of the time.

Carargher should have been sent off against United, was sent off in another game, plus got raped by Hines at West Ham... not to mention other poor performances.

Skrtel has played worse than Carragher has, in my opinion. One good game and it's almost December? Great form that.

Which players are 'untouchable' under Benitez?

and more importantly, which players should be 'untouchable'?

Personally I think players should be picked on form and not just reputation.

I would say Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Mascherano, Kuyt, Gerrard and Torres are all pretty much 'untouchable'.

But really should Carragher and Kuyt be 'untouchable' when both players are capable of poor runs of form... as we have seen this season, in particular Carragher's case.

I think if Benitez had Skrtel, Agger and Carragher all fit tomoorow Carragher shouldn't play. Plus if Riera and Benayoun are fit, Kuyt should probably also start on the bench.

But under Benitez it seems they are undroppable. Which I don't think is right!

No players should be untouchable. Some may be among the first names on the team sheet but only if they are in form.

No one is untouchable. Obviously if everyone is fit and on form then it is pretty easy to pick perhaps as many as 8-9 of the starting 11. But people aren't always fit and on form, hence no one should be untouchable.

But the thing is Carragher and Kuyt are 'untouchable' under Benitez. If they are fit they play, regardless of form.

Carragher's form has improved, and he's a great organiser. Whereas Kuyt is still terrible. It will be interesting to see whether Benitez feels Mascherano is untouchable when everyone's back from their injuries. I feel he might play Lucas with Aquiliani in readiness for Mascherano's departure.

But the thing is Carragher and Kuyt are 'untouchable' under Benitez. If they are fit they play, regardless of form.

I re-read your first post and saw the words 'under Benitez'. My first answer was general, saying no one should be untouchable because of form and fitness.

But now I see the words 'under Benitez' and in that case you have probably named the two players where there is most contention.

Kuyt delivered last season. That can't be doubted. As for this season, he is not at the same level yet (an accusation that could be levelled at many players thus far). Yet he plays regularly. I can only assume this is because his attributes, which include working hard and putting in a shift, double up nicely with Johnson's attacking nature. If Kuyt was an out and out mercurial right winger and he had Johnson playing behind him the balance wouldn't be right.

Besides the balance issue for the right hand side, I think Kuyt has played on this season because of his versatility. Nando has been nursing an injury and we've also had injuries to Benayoun, Riera and Stevie. I think had Torres and Stevie been fit and firing, and Riera and Benayoun fit and firing too, we may well have seen Kuyt 'rested' here and there. But that hasn't been the case, hence he has played on, even if below par.

As for Carragher, it is well documented that he hasn't been at his best either. If Agger had been fit from the off and Skrtel playing well too, then perhaps Jamie would have been 'rested' a time or two as well. As it happens we have needed him to play on, as a below par Carra is still preferable to an untried Greek back up or a youngster like Ayala. The signs are positive that Carra is now recapturing some form.

So, in summary, my view is nobody is untouchable, but if Rafa does appear to have a couple of favourites, you can at least see the thinking behind that.