You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who is to blame for the Henry goal incident?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who is to blame for the Henry goal incident?

The way that he can stand there and admit to the handball but in the same breathe blame the ref amuses and scares me in equal measures. It's very much like those knobhead politicians blaming the rules for being able to claim for an expense that never was. When high profile figures such as this are declining to accept responsibility for their actions can we really blame teenage criminals for doing the same when they break the law?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's no different to someone hacking down a player in the box and the ref not giving a penalty, you're all getting your knickers in a twist because it was a big game...get over it.

FTR I think there should be a tennis style video replay system introduced where the manager can question any decision until he questions 3 correct decisions then he can't question any more.

Really shows how fucked football is that some people "don't see what the fuss is about", or think it is up to the lino or ref to see it.

Open, major cheating is now fully acceptable. So very sad.

As long as you con the ref.

The game is rife with fucking cheating. It's all bad, but this instance isn't any worse than dozens of incidents in the past. However, it didn't get called (which it should have) and there is no precedence of imposing any penalties after the fact with cheating.

So what the fuck do you want?

It's no different to someone hacking down a player in the box and the ref not giving a penalty, you're all getting your knickers in a twist because it was a big game...get over it.

FTR I think there should be a tennis style video replay system introduced where the manager can question any decision until he questions 3 correct decisions then he can't question any more.

Agreed. Didnt see any such indignation when Ngog dived for our equaliser against brum the other night.

Cheat isnt to be encouraged. I dont see anyone suggestting it should be. But we all cheat to some degree whether thats parking on double yellows, pulling a sickie or patting the ball.

Didnt see the paddys being so outraged when diego punched that one in against England.

Move on. We all get some shit decisions from time to time.

Fucking disgraceful. But only to be expected from a cheese-eating surrender-monkey.

Who's to blame? Definitely Henry. He's always been a snidey little cunt in my eyes. Also that scumbag twat Blatter for not getting this shit kicked the fuck out of football ages ago.

Cheating is now a prerequisite for footballers and it's utterly unacceptable.

How can more people think the deliberate cheat who got away with it is less to blame than the ref who accidentally got it wrong? I'm sure there's a comment about modern values and the lack of a sense of personal responsibility in here somewhere.

Agreed. Never understood how fans who get indignant over diving and the likes sit by and condone kicking, stamps and purposely late challenges which are filed under " getting stuck in".

Agreed. Never understood how fans who get indignant over diving and the likes sit by and condone kicking, stamps and purposely late challenges which are filed under " getting stuck in".

I'd guess the main reason why is that most kicking, stamps and/or purposely late challenges are dealt with whilst diving and what Henry did on Wednesday aren't.

How can more people think the deliberate cheat who got away with it is less to blame than the ref who accidentally got it wrong? I'm sure there's a comment about modern values and the lack of a sense of personal responsibility in here somewhere.

This is the crux of the issue for me. It's only murder if the police catch you, right?

I think they might have a chance. Irony is a funny thing. Look at Milan on 07. They got into the Champions League in 06/07 on appeal and won it.

They really struggled in their group and over the two games Ireland were the better team and should have gone through. I think they'll struggle to get out of the groups.

Cheers. Girl.

It happens. You are obviously more annoyed because its Ireland. I doubt this thread would exist (or there would be so much teeth gnashing) if the match was Bahrain Vs Algeria.

Personally, I'd say a blatant dive (which happens in most games) is worse that what Henry did. Its certainly more wilfull.

What, like Anelkas d'you mean? That was a bad dive by him. I blame N'gog myself, he started it all the other night!! Seriously though I hate the fucking dirty garlic eating French cunts myself, especially that whingeing twat Gallas, and what's with the back of their fucking shirts? Are they trying to look more manly or something?

BTW congratulations to you and your missus Hammy mate.

Any player always bends the rules to his advantage & it is up to the referee to deal with it.

That has always been the case in all sport.

When football was relatively leniet on dangerous tackling, players were incentivised to kick the shit out of eachother so they did.

Henry's actions were no different to Tommy Smith or Souness clattering an opposition player or St.John laying out a CB.

The Irish CB pairing at Italia '90 (Moran & ??) were the dirtiest in the tournament. I didn't hear the Irish complaining then.

Now that attackers are protected, the incentive is to dive: N'Gog the other night & Gerrard all the time go over very,very easily.

As for handball, how many people want to offer to replay the 2001 FACup Final?

Henchoz was far worse than anything on Wed night.

However it is not just the ref's fault as he cannot be perfect.

Football is ridiculous in the mass media age in not having some form of video ref.

The key is to change the incentive structure for the players.

That means an NFL-style video ref where the coachs get 2 failed challenges per match (to stop them arguing over everything)

Henry would have been caught & yellow-carded once the Irish had appealed so he would not have done it in the 1st place whereas in the current system it was worth his risk as the rewards of a goal if it went undetected were so great.

Human behaviour depends on the incentives we are given, whether that is playing rugby (Willie John McBride was hardly an angel, was he?),bending the rules in football or acting in the market-place.

The player who takes it upon himself to cheat should be the focus of the blame. Henry is a cunt in this instance because he has complained vociferuouly about decisions that have gone against his teams in the past i.e Cardiff 2001 and the European Cup Final 2006 and then gone on to blatantly cheat another team out of tournament.

To be so outraged when it goes against you and to shrug your shoulders and blame the ref when you cheat yourself is rank hyprocisy. Henry on Wednesday was up there with the Rivaldo face clutching incident of 2002.

Any player always bends the rules to his advantage & it is up to the referee to deal with it.

That has always been the case in all sport.

When football was relatively leniet on dangerous tackling, players were incentivised to kick the shit out of eachother so they did.

Henry's actions were no different to Tommy Smith or Souness clattering an opposition player or St.John laying out a CB.

The Irish CB pairing at Italia '90 (Moran & ??) were the dirtiest in the tournament. I didn't hear the Irish complaining then.

Now that attackers are protected, the incentive is to dive: N'Gog the other night & Gerrard all the time go over very,very easily.

As for handball, how many people want to offer to replay the 2001 FACup Final?

Henchoz was far worse than anything on Wed night.

However it is not just the ref's fault as he cannot be perfect.

Football is ridiculous in the mass media age in not having some form of video ref.

The key is to change the incentive structure for the players.

That means an NFL-style video ref where the coachs get 2 failed challenges per match (to stop them arguing over everything)

Henry would have been caught & yellow-carded once the Irish had appealed so he would not have done it in the 1st place whereas in the current system it was worth his risk as the rewards of a goal if it went undetected were so great.

Human behaviour depends on the incentives we are given, whether that is playing rugby (Willie John McBride was hardly an angel, was he?),bending the rules in football or acting in the market-place.

The voice of reason once again.

Henry isnt a cunt.

If Torres did it to send us through in a competition we'd be made up.

If Rooney did it send England to a world cup the press would be lauding him rather than bashing him

The linesman should of seen it but he didnt, get over it.

Ireland had loads of chances, Keane, Lawrence, Doyle but they all missed them.