You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa explains Keane and Barry debacle

Torvald Utne

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TK-421
In what way has Barry won the league for City, he has done as much as Josemi did for our CL win?

In the way that they've just won the league and he played all the games. That way.

Link, please?

You're swimming in it; first post in the thread gives a link:

"The plan was for Barry to play on the left and feed the ball to Robbie Keane."

I must admit the quotes about left back are new to me.

How many games did he play on the left feeding the ball to a striker or at left back for City? It's amazing that won them the title and I never noticed.

You live and learn.

You're swimming in it; first post in the thread gives a link:

"The plan was for Barry to play on the left and feed the ball to Robbie Keane."

No it doesn't give a link to Rafa claiming he would use Barry as a winger. (Which would be pretty ironic if it did, considering the Barry vs. Alonso feud.)

Carry on though.

Guest TK-421
Since when does on the left mean on the wing? If you have 2 in midfield one has to play on the left, no?

I think it's clear from the quotes that Rafa had a number of roles on the left planned for Barry for when the team changed shape. He hints at him not being a winger to beat a man so presumably he meant more delivery from deep.

I think it's clear from the quotes that Rafa had a number of roles on the left planned for Barry for when the team changed shape. He hints at him not being a winger to beat a man so presumably he meant more delivery from deep.

That's what it reads like to me as well.

Well he wanted Barry on the left and it wasnt as a central midfielder if you ask me.

This article tells you that.

Benitez drops strong Barry hint

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="226"><tbody><tr><td>

</td></tr></tbody></table> Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has indicated that Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry remains a serious target.

Benitez refused to name the England midfielder but would not say that the long-running transfer saga was over.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill conceded last week that his captain might leave but reports have suggested that a proposed fee of £18m was the sticking point.

"The situation is not a question of money," said Benitez after Liverpool beat Lazio 1-0 in a friendly on Friday.

"He is English and can play three different positions, but I am talking about someone who can play on the left."

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="231"><tbody><tr><td width="5">o.gif</td><td class="sibStdQuote"> I am talking about one player, but I won't say the name

Rafael Benitez

</td></tr></tbody></table> Barry, 27, can play central midfield, on the left and left-back. Xabi Alonso had long been expected to make way for the Englishman but he now looks set to stay at Anfield.

"We have a good player (Alonso) and we have another good player coming in soon.

"We can improve the squad, so we will try to do that. We will bring in one more player if we can.

"I do not know when but clearly we have problems on the left, Kewell has gone, Aurelio is injured and Leto cannot get a work permit.

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="231"><tbody><tr><td width="5">o.gif</td><td class="sib606">

</td></tr></tbody></table> "Babel is away in the Olympic Games. Maybe he can come back and fill that role, but I know we can improve in this area. "Who comes in? It could be another left-sided player rather than a central midfielder.

"Maybe he can play in three different positions, that is a positive thing. I am talking about one player, but I won't say the name."

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Aston Villa | Benitez drops strong Barry hint

The plan was for Barry to play on the left and feed the ball to Robbie Keane, who would play up front with Fernando Torres.

Opening up a whole new can of worms that.

Sorry, but the only period of time Liverpool looked like world beaters under Rafa was

Torres up front solo, Gerrard not far behind with fewer midfield responsibilities, Kuyt on the right scoring goals and doing extra work for the front '2' with Alonso and Mascherano central.

And all of that was pretty obviously 'sorted' by the summer of 08.

From the day Torres got a hat trick against Boro to the final game of 08/09, we matched United point for point, 120 or so each in that period. Keane's real job ended up as quality replacement for Torres during his various niggles, not as a striking partner, otherwise we should have stuck with Crouch and given him more games/time to forge a partnership with Fernando.

Barry for Riera, we'd have pissed that league. Barry for Alonso, not so much.

So it would have involved telling lies to players so they could join us. Keane told he was a Torres stand-in, Barry told he was back on the left that he thought he had grown out of at Villa. Maybe they'd have knuckled down and done it, but it would have caused resentment.

Perhaps nullified by title winners medals.

Either way , what a sad sorry pathetic excuse that Barry - Keane story is to explain the obvious failures of Robbie fucking Keane.

Do people honestly believe this shite?

There is one word for it, brainwashed.

Guest TK-421

Regardless of petty minor chatter over his exact role Rafa knew one thing - gaz baz was a winner and a very useful player to have.

Our loss was man city's gain and they're lucky to have him.

From Barry's perspective you have to say he made the right choice.

Regardless of petty minor chatter over his exact role Rafa knew one thing - gaz baz was a winner and a very useful player to have.

And you're not helping...

You just keep waving that red rag at Code, don't you?

Guest TK-421

Not really i was more interested in whether others would change theirs after the new evidence which has proven them wrong.

Not really i was more interested in whether others would change theirs after the new evidence which has proven them wrong.

But you already knew the answer to that didn't you.

Anyway, I'm not trying to get into a row with you TK - if anything, I probably lean towards your side of the fence.

I just get bored of these repetitive, cyclical arguments over something which is now history.

Guest TK-421
But you already knew the answer to that didn't you.

Anyway, I'm not trying to get into a row with you TK - if anything, I probably lean towards your side of the fence.

I just get bored of these repetitive, cyclical arguments over something which is now history.

Nobody is forcing you to join in. Personally i think it's an interesting topic to revisit now that Barry has his first league winner's medal.

I possibly agree with all of that. It's Barry at Alonso's expense I have (and did have) trouble with personally!

Though at the time it made more sense than it does with hindsight