You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa explains Keane and Barry debacle

Torvald Utne

Barry in this Liverpool team would make bugger all difference. We need several better players to compete.

A player who can read the game and retain possession is what our team has been sorely lacking since Lucas was injured.

Just anyone at least competent in that role i.e. Barry.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, been a great trip since.

Fucking buzzing watching Man City win the league in the last minute. Would never of happened under that daft Rafa.

Seeing his first six years with us as anything to go by you are 100% correct.

Barry is a decent player, stunning ineptitude to try and bin Alonso for him though.

Went back to the first page and Rafa says he wanted Barry on the left, but Alonso played central, this tells me he wanted them both in the team.

My memory is a bit hazy but didn't Alonso have a bad previous season and then made suggestions of going back to Spain so Rafa made provisions for Barry who could play both left and central (remember with the exception of Gerrard anyone who showed nothing but 100% comittment got ejected from Liverpool at Mach3 with Benitez so his move for Barry is not surprising). Alonso then had a blinding final season with us but by then their relationship had decayed and we lost Alonso with no Barry to come in as Coco had blown the cash on Keane who Rafa thought he could get for less than the 19M we paid (Jesus that still hurts).

Barry is an ordinary player in the best of a bad bunch team.

Alonso was a brilliant player in a good team and is now a brilliant player in a brilliant team.

Barry was nor is fit to be anywhere near the same team as Alonso.

I suspect the only reason we were interested in Barry was a lack of confidence in Lucas becoming a regular first teamer or obviously Rafa highly suspected Alonso was off.

Barry is an ordinary player in the best of a bad bunch team.

Alonso was a brilliant player in a good team and is now a brilliant player in a brilliant team.

Barry was nor is fit to be anywhere near the same team as Alonso.

I suspect the only reason we were interested in Barry was a lack of confidence in Lucas becoming a regular first teamer or obviously Rafa highly suspected Alonso was off.

Think he was attempting to cover his bases as the purse strings were getting tied by Cancer and AIDS. So its not just me who remembers the rumours that Alonso wanted to go back home.

Lucas was just finding his feet and was the new whipping boy by the majority of the fans so its no surprise Rafa was looking for cover.

Well, why did Pako leave?

What cave have you been in?

Pako was negotiating to become manager of some team (Spanish I think, or was it Greek?) and hadn't told Rafa.

Rafa (either by way of an informant in or outside the club) got wind of it and stuck him on "gardening leave".

After that I think Rafas paranoia reached epic proportions. Him and Pako had been amigo's for years and he saw what he done as the ultimate betrayal. Don't think he was the same after that. Our perfomances dipped as it was Pako, the sports science nut case, who took the training wasn't it?

Don't think he was the same after that. Our perfomances dipped as it was Pako, the sports science nut case, who took the training wasn't it?

I don't think there's a correlation between Pako leaving and our performances.

He left around October 2007 and we finished that season 4th (11 points behind 1st) and got to the semis of the Champions League. Not saying it was a vintage season (In fact, a lot of people were pretty disgruntled that year) but I don't think it was that different to when Pako was here.

The season after we finished 2nd and then 09-10 was just a combination of things having lost some big players and replaced them with vastly inferior ones, plus all the off-pitch stuff.

I'm sure Pako did a great job and maybe at times Benitez needed someone to stand up to him as Pellegrino always seemed like a yes man and Sammy Lee always struck me as the same. We'll never know if Pako might have made a difference in 08-09 but I don't think we missed him quite as much as people suggest.

Good player, Barry. Would vastly improve our dreadful central midfield. Being ever-present in the team that has just won the league probably proves as much.

Proof? That won't get you very far my lad. The general concensus is that Barry is shit, and always has been, and that the City title win was despite Barry, otherwise they'd have built up a 40 point lead on United.

It's all a bit round and round. I just tend to get into internet brawls with people who are probably typing with the aid of a straw, certainly with people who have smaller cocks than me, and it gradually descends into chaos and the facts just bleed out of Code until we're all covered in Code number blood, and Rafa is declared a leper, and Alonso had the cure to leprecy but Gareth Barry tried to steal it.

Just fuck off you usual suspects, you know who you are, mainly because you've got a name badge on from working that fruit and veg aisle at Tesco.

Barry has been very good this season. We'd have had a better season with him in our team.

Spearing has started 15 PL games this season, we would obviously be better off if Barry had played instead.

But I also want to oppose the notion that Barry has been very good, how good was he when Toure was in Africa?

Has he simply been carried by an overall great City team?

Spearing has started 15 PL games this season, we would obviously be better off if Barry had played instead.

But I also want to oppose the notion that Barry has been very good, how good was he when Toure was in Africa?

Has he simply been carried by an overall great City team?

No. He's had a very good season.