You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa explains Keane and Barry debacle

Torvald Utne

That why I believe it was a daimond with stevie at the point of it behind the two strikers.

It would have been interesting to see if it had worked or not.

Now that would have been interesting; a free role, minimal defending, more targets to hit, more strikers making off the ball runs to create space to run into...

I have my reservations about Mascher and Kuyts passing abillities in such a formation.

Only in that formation :P

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bollocks. This would have been the mid-field.

Kuyt-----Masch-----Barry----Riera

Nothing drastically different. Barry occasionally on the left of that and Gerrard dropped in beside Masch when Robbie Keane would be drafted in to the side to continue to flatter to deceive as he has his whole career.

All this nonsense of having overlapping full-backs. FFS, every top side in the world has overlapping fullbacks.

I think he means this.

------------------------Reina----------------------

--Arbeloa-------Carra--------Agger----------Aurelio

------------------------Masch---------------------

-----------Kuyt------------------------Barry-------

------------------------Gerrard--------------------

------------------Torres-------Keane--------------

Gerrard would stay behind Torres so Keane wouldn't affect their positions as much if we had Barry out on the left.

I think he means this.

------------------------Reina----------------------

--Arbeloa-------Carra--------Agger----------Aurelio

------------------------Masch---------------------

-----------Kuyt------------------------Barry-------

------------------------Gerrard--------------------

------------------Torres-------Keane--------------

Gerrard would stay behind Torres so Keane wouldn't affect their positions as much if we had Barry out on the left.

Exactamente and what I posted earlier in the thread except Dossea would be LB

Also Rafa could play this system now with Aurellio in Barry's position

It doesn't matter, except if you want to buy into the idea that getting rid of Alonso and buying Barry would have improved us. I don't. Barry is nowhere near as good as Alonso in receiving and maintaining possession. We'd be playing from the back in much the same was as we are now - long balls, low quality, losing possession cheaply, easily snuffed out.

It doesn't matter, except if you want to buy into the idea that getting rid of Alonso and buying Barry would have improved us. I don't. Barry is nowhere near as good as Alonso in receiving and maintaining possession. We'd be playing from the back in much the same was as we are now - long balls, low quality, losing possession cheaply, easily snuffed out.

I'm nowhere near certain it would have improved us, but if there was not even any merit to the idea at all in terms of changing our play then I would have to be vehemently opposed to the manager and I am not altogether convinced that I am. I think Gerrard and Barry either side of Mascherano with Keane and Kuyt supporting Torres might have given us more mobility in domestic ties and a fifth attacker in possession. If that was his plan I guess we will never know if it would have worked or not, but the idea of playing Barry as a straight left winger with Kuyt on the other side is too diabolical to be countenanced surely.

Edited by zigackly

I'm nowhere near certain it would have improved us, but if there was not even any merit to the idea at all in terms of changing our play then I would have to be vehemently opposed to the manager and I am not altogether convinced that I am. I think Gerrard and Barry either side of Mascherano with Keane and Kuyt supporting Torres might have given us more mobility in domestic ties and a fifth attacker in possession.

Well what was stopping us from playing that way? Surely if that was the plan, we'd have seen it, even once, regardless of Gareth Barry?

I know this has been done to death. But anyway, my view on Barry for Alosno is this. Barry in place of the Xabi two season prior to last season would have been a better option. Barry in place of last season's Xabi, wouldn't have been. That simple.

Yeah but, according to the man who was making that change; Barry was going to play on the left.

And he was still going to sell Alonso.

Whichever way you look at it, that's pretty fucked up.

Yes, i agree.

But i think it's possible he's only using Barry on the left as a red herring so to speak. He knows how most Liverpool fans feel about Xabi so to come out and say he wanted to replace him with Barry.....well, probably not a great idea right now.

[YOUTUBE]344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doAy4Ivcidg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doAy4Ivcidg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

• 2 years later...
League title or not. I would have hated seeing him play for us. His style of play is about as dire as his personality, if he even has one.

Does a job for the team allowing others to attack.

Would have made us a better team in the 2nd half of this season having someone with his ability reading the game and retaining possession.

I'm sure being in a team with Aguero, Ballotelli, Silva, Nasri, Kompany et al would be just the same as being in a team with Carroll, Henderson, Downing, Kuyt etc.

Who said it would be?

There's seems to be a lot of gluesniffers on this forum.

To lose Xabi Alonso our king playmaker, for some kind of Keane-Barry synergy is daftness to the extreme.

Fortunately, Rafa's Anfield days are behind us.

Yeah, been a great trip since.

Fucking buzzing watching Man City win the league in the last minute. Would never of happened under that daft Rafa.