You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

ChicagoRed

In virtually every recent article, I've read Liverpool FC is in debt. Nothing could be further from the truth. Being "in debt" means that your debts exceed your assets. We are carrying debt that is being comfortably serviced by our cash flow. We have a squad that is worth at current transfer values at least three times the net cost of what it took to put it together, and as a business, we are profitable and cash flow positive.

Add to that the unrealized potential of a 70,000 capacity stadium that we can sell out with no problems, and the prospect (supported by the recent shirt deal and the impending naming rights deal) of becoming the biggest brand in the game.

It makes sense to manage debt prudently - how many of us could live without a mortgage? - and that is what the club is doing.

But we are a long way from having debt problems as many in the Press would have us believe.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShoePiss
In virtually every recent article, I've read Liverpool FC is in debt. Nothing could be further from the truth. Being "in debt" means that your debts exceed your assets. We are carrying debt that is being comfortably serviced by our cash flow. We have a squad that is worth at current transfer values at least three times the net cost of what it took to put it together, and as a business, we are profitable and cash flow positive.

Add to that the unrealized potential of a 70,000 capacity stadium that we can sell out with no problems, and the prospect (supported by the recent shirt deal and the impending naming rights deal) of becoming the biggest brand in the game.

It makes sense to manage debt prudently - how many of us could live without a mortgage? - and that is what the club is doing.

But we are a long way from having debt problems as many in the Press would have us believe.

YEAH!

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Please explain to me how exactly how taking a business with relatively little debt, and then loading it to more or less 100% of it's value is good for said business?

Welcome (again) to the site anyway Tom

I didnt think it was was possible to be as stupid as you are

You truly are stupid and an idiot to boot

What a fucking cretin

Lying Yank Cunt

"unrealized potential of a 70,000 capacity stadium"

It's definitely unrealised.

Liverpool's manager gives first interview in national paper and you come out and try and defend the owners.

Anyone would think Gillett had a PR firm working for him.

Oh wait......

We are not in as bad a shape as reported in the press. However, what you are stating is the pure LBO perspective taken from the owners' point of view. This is not what LFC is about and not what it exists for.

The owners have not understood this, you do not understand it. Football, and especially Liverpool FC, is more than that.

I myself live with a mortgage, because I bought a house. Had Liverpool FC borrowed money to build a new house (stadium), I’d have to agree with you.

What I’d like you to explain to me is: How can it be a good thing piling up debt and spend it on absolutely nothing. 4 years ago Liverpool FC had the same assets as today and was 40M in debt. Now we’re more than 300M in debt. Please tell me; in what way is that beneficial to us. And please don’t start with Torres.

no wonder the worlds in a complete financial mess! the americans are shit when it comes to sums!

Frikkin awesome dude.

We have interest payments of over £30m a year, and our profit, at best, prior to the economic downturn was in the region of £28m. Please tell me how are cash reserve (that'd be our non-existent cash reserve) can service a debt that is bigger then our net-profit? And that's before the two rapists have taken out there yearly "expenses" of over £1m.

We don't sell out our current 45,000 seat stadium for probably 7 to 8 league games a season. Where are we going to find these extra 25,000 people if you don't mind me asking?

I have a mortgage that I can afford. If I don't have a mortgage that I can afford then I risk losing the house. If I can't afford my mortgage yet continue to refuse to sell my house for a PROFIT!!! then the bank will sell it for me. Please tell me how missing payments and not been able to afford to re-pay your debts and having your outgoings exceeding your incomings is managing debt "prudently"?

I'm sure that when we are back in front of UEFA yet again in March desperatly trying to prove that noted Economists and financial auditors KPMG were incorrect to say we are in very real danger of no longer being a "going concern" and that our debt is almost unmanageable, that UEFA will happily accept us giving our proof of financial strength as "We are a long way from having debt problems - yes, ignore all the facts please, we are in fact fine thanks!". That'll work

When next speaking to your mates the Hicks, please pass on that football fans are not all idiots and we will not have the wool pulled over our eyes by those rapists. We will treat them like anyone else who assaults a loved one, because that is what they are doing to our club, and we wont stand for it.

We have interest payments of over £30m a year, and our profit, at best, prior to the economic downturn was in the region of £28m. Please tell me how are cash reserve (that'd be our non-existent cash reserve) can service a debt that is bigger then our net-profit? And that's before the two rapists have taken out there yearly "expenses" of over £1m.

We don't sell out our current 45,000 seat stadium for probably 7 to 8 league games a season. Where are we going to find these extra 25,000 people if you don't mind me asking?

I have a mortgage that I can afford. If I don't have a mortgage that I can afford then I risk losing the house. If I can't afford my mortgage yet continue to refuse to sell my house for a PROFIT!!! then the bank will sell it for me. Please tell me how missing payments and not been able to afford to re-pay your debts and having your outgoings exceeding your incomings is managing debt "prudently"?

I'm sure that when we are back in front of UEFA yet again in March desperatly trying to prove that noted Economists and financial auditors KPMG were incorrect to say we are in very real danger of no longer being a "going concern" and that our debt is almost unmanageable, that UEFA will happily accept us giving our proof of financial strength as "We are a long way from having debt problems - yes, ignore all the facts please, we are in fact fine thanks!". That'll work

When next speaking to your mates the Hicks, please pass on that football fans are not all idiots and we will not have the wool pulled over our eyes by those rapists. We will treat them like anyone else who assaults a loved one, because that is what they are doing to our club, and we wont stand for it.

You cant reason with idiots it pointless