You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa Exclusive in The Times

Randy Marsh

please stop!! MY EYES!! MY BRAIN!!!!

All of the credibility that you didn't even have to begin with is now gone forever.

You are on record as not caring about nor understanding statistics, so why discuss them?

Perhaps we should just always rant based upon ignorant prejudice?

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely you would admit he gets far more stick than any other manager. Its relentless and most of it mindless drivel. This is his first mainstream interview and it will help stop the rot (at least I hope it stops the gross spend bullshit) as I think the problem is he is misunderstood.

These interviews at least gives people the chance to try and understand him and his methods. Surely that is better than the continous bullshit we get fed daily.

Sure, I agree he gets a lot of stick and is treated badly. What I think is sad is that the media, along with all the bullshit at the club, seems to have gotten to him, so that his mind isn't where it should be. As much as this interview gives us insight in his thinking and methods, it's still an interview with a man that has a need to explain himself and how difficult everything is. It's understandable, but I don't think it's the best approach.

You are on record as not caring about nor understanding statistics, so why discuss them?

Perhaps we should just always rant based upon ignorant prejudice?

Perhaps we should just give everyone a £50k pay rise and be done with all of this 20 years with no league title nonsense?

STEP AWAY FROM THE FUCKING CALCULATOR.

We're not an accountancy firm, we're a fucking football club. if you don't win trophies you get fired. The end. No excuses. No "net spend" horse shit. No "value of teh club increased" clap trap. No "selling players for profit" garbage.

We exist to win trophies. THAT'S IT!!! We haven't won one for 3 years, and very likely to soon be four.

End of fucking story.

fee free to tell your kids and grandkikds about what a bloody brilliant profit we made on momo sissoko or how we outfperformed Arsenal that time based on our wage bill. But I'll say we were fucking shit and won fuck all.

Now just stop it. You're a joke.

Elitist piffle. There are plenty of people IN the stadium who aren't happy with his performance.

Again, if this is the kind of thing going through his head then it doesn't auger well.

Spin wins fuck all.

Where did I say it was wrong to question him? I know there are plenty in the stadium who do. I question him myself, but I still believe he is the right man. But that wasn't the point I was making. You only have to listen to a phone in, watch Soccer Saturday, or read many of the mainstream newspapers to know some of the shite that is regarded as "fact" amongst much of our support. It's not elitist in any way. It is often the fans who havn't been the match who are the ones ringing 606 or ringing Stan the Man on Talksport to slag off Lucas or zonal marking.

"The majority of the fans, especially the ones who go to the stadium, realise the team is working and improving, and is better than before."

Anyone who didn't laugh out loud at that line, have a word with yourselves.

And easy rides from rabid Liverpool fans aren't going to wipe away the spin from others. Someone above said this will "help stop the rot". It really won't.

Perhaps we should just give everyone a £50k pay rise and be done with all of this 20 years with no league title nonsense?

We're not an accountancy firm, we're a fucking football club. if you don't win trophies you get fired. The end. No excuses. No "net spend" horse shit. No "value of teh club increased" clap trap. No "selling players for profit" garbage.

We exist to win trophies. We haven't won one for 3 years, and very likely to soon be four.

End of fucking story.

But Tom, if the club continues to be run in it's current state we are going to be sacking a hell of a lot of managers. It's been mentioned time and time again I know, but no new manager will come in with a negative budget and win us the league.

Sure, I agree he gets a lot of stick and is treated badly. What I think is sad is that the media, along with all the bullshit at the club, seems to have gotten to him, so that his mind isn't where it should be. As much as this interview gives us insight in his thinking and methods, it's still an interview with a man that has a need to explain himself and how difficult everything is. It's understandable, but I don't think it's the best approach.

Fair enough mate but I disagree, i think its overdue and he should have been doing this a few years ago. Not all the time of course but by giving the media a bit of time I think he would get less of the bullshit which if i am honest has been way way OTT for a long time now. Sometimes I think he is creating his own industry.

We exist to win trophies. THAT'S IT!!! We haven't won one for 3 years, and very likely to soon be four.

End of fucking story.

fee free to tell your kids and grandkikds about what a bloody brilliant profit we made on momo sissoko or how we outfperformed Arsenal that time based on our wage bill. But I'll say we were fucking shit and won fuck all.

We want the same thing.

But that doesn't alter the fact that we are fighting other teams' guns with a bow & arrows.

We have a pair of cunts as owners & a 45k stadium to compete with 4 teams who either have sugardaddies or get £60m thru the gate more than us every year.

That leads to much higher wages, which leads to much better players.

That is the main issue to address & whilst we are doing so, our aims must be realistic & judged on sensible criteria or we will throw away a key asset (Rafa) & fall even further behind.

Back then there was only 1 club spending stupid money though.

Now there is City, who are actually in our League & RM who just took away our best performer last season by throwing cash at him.

This isn't just affecting us though.

You can see exactly the same process at the Mancs who also lost their best player to the same club for exactly the same reason & are highly unlikely to win the title this year because of it.

Which is why GinSaok's ref comments are appearing increasingly shrill.

If they say that City/RM haven't changed the rules of the game or that they didn't lose players because of money, they look stupid.

If they admit the effects, they are called defeatist

If they say nothing, they are uncommunicative.

Of course everything is more difficult because of all the stupid-money being thrown around, nobody can question that. But complaining about it isn't going to change anything. It will only make the players and everyone else belive that Lfc is second tier and we can't compete since we have no money.

I would have liked Rafa and everyone else at the club to have an attitude saying something like: "Sure, others have more money, but we are Liverpool football club, we have more class and richer history than anyone else, so we are going to win anyway". Like that Carra-interview a few years back. If you belive it, it's more likely to happen.

Where did I say it was wrong to question him? I know there are plenty in the stadium who do. I question him myself, but I still believe he is the right man. But that wasn't the point I was making. You only have to listen to a phone in, watch Soccer Saturday, or read many of the mainstream newspapers to know some of the shite that is regarded as "fact" amongst much of our support. It's not elitist in any way. It is often the fans who havn't been the match who are the ones ringing 606 or ringing Stan the Man on Talksport to slag off Lucas or zonal marking.

You mean opinion, not fact. He can say what he likes about Alonso or any other list of topics, he can't make people believe he played no part in his departure and he can't make think Aquilani wasn't a huge risk which has backfired etc etc.

And this divisive method of saying who gets to say what is only going to make the waverers dig their heels in. You know as well as I do what Rafa is implying here, and it stinks.

As if phone-ins are going to decide his future. The league table and our absence from the CL knockout will be slightly more important surely?

And that little ray of sunshine comment is going to linger as long as the "facts" quote. Sometimes your friends can be your worst enemies.

Anyone who didn't laugh out loud at that line, have a word with yourselves.

And easy rides from rabid Liverpool fans aren't going to wipe away the spin from others. Someone above said this will "help stop the rot". It really won't.

oh for fucks sake!

The man has been pillored by the press for the past three months, he knows he is in a sticky situation, he knows this and he is fighting his corner. Is he not allowed to do this? Are his supporters not allowed to do this?

If I called you an obnoxious cunt (your not by the way) I don't expect you to say 'fair enough, sorry about that'. He has every right to fight his corner, every right to explain why he thinks the club is moving forward, every right to offer a counterpoint to articles about his reaction to his dad dying being the reason we lost Alonso!

For some people one win in 9 is the reason they are asking questions, for others it is a perfect opportunity! There is a difference but at least give some of us credit for being able to differentiate between the two.

Arsenal soon to be five.

man City possibly soon to be 34. Again, so fucking what?

This argument is total bullshit and I'm sick of hearing it.

If I fail at my job I won't just whinge and point the finger at others who are also failing, in some sad attempt to exuse myself.

That's just about the most pathetic act I could think of.

man City possibly soon to be 34. Again, so fucking what?

This argument is total bullshit and I'm sick of hearing it.

If I fail at my job I won't just whinge and point the finger at others who are also failing, in some sad attempt to exuse myself.

That's just about the most pathetic act I could think of.

You would if you were expected to pick up all the bins in Leeds with a bike!

You would if you were expected to pick up all the bins in Leeds with a bike!

Mate, we've got a binman strike here at the moment.

I'm tempted to fucking do that anyway! haha

Seriously though, if that was my job spec, and i failed to do it then i can't complain!

That's known as "tough fucking shit", or as my old Dad used to call it: Life.

oh for fucks sake!

The man has been pillored by the press for the past three months, he knows he is in a sticky situation, he knows this and he is fighting his corner. Is he not allowed to do this? Are his supporters not allowed to do this?

If I called you an obnoxious cunt (your not by the way) I don't expect you to say 'fair enough, sorry about that'. He has every right to fight his corner, every right to explain why he thinks the club is moving forward, every right to offer a counterpoint to articles about his reaction to his dad dying being the reason we lost Alonso!

For some people one win in 9 is the reason they are asking questions, for others it is a perfect opportunity! There is a difference but at least give some of us credit for being able to differentiate between the two.

The team is improving and is better than before.

You didn't laugh, fine.

We want the same thing.

But that doesn't alter the fact that we are fighting other teams' guns with a bow & arrows.

We have a pair of cunts as owners & a 45k stadium to compete with 4 teams who either have sugardaddies or get £60m thru the gate more than us every year.

That leads to much higher wages, which leads to much better players.

That is the main issue to address & whilst we are doing so, our aims must be realistic & judged on sensible criteria or will fall even further behind.

Our aims have been realistic - 99% of the times. In your opinion, which top club in Europe would have given Rafa a new 5 year contract?

I admire your will to argue about the wages but to say a manager is only 10% or less responsible for the club's success is a joke. I'm sorry to say, but it is really a joke.

Wages are important - only a fool will argue otherwise. But to bring wages into the argument EVERYTIME we fail to win a game or a trophy is also a joke. Football doesn't always operate like that.

If football strictly operated on the basis of statistics and numbers, we wouldn't have won the CL in 2005. We wouldn't have reached the final in 2007 either.

Wages is an important factor in success and domination. So are other qualities. And a manager has far MORE responsibility than just 5% or 10%.

Mate, we've got a binman strike here at the moment.

I'm tempted to fucking do that anyway! haha

Seriously though, if that was my job spec and i failed to do it then i can't complain.

That's known as "tough fucking shit", or as my old Dad used to call it: Life.

At this moment I have no tangible argument, we are out of the champions league and have lost 5 matches!

I do think he has done a good job, but it wil have to an excellent job to win the league, which I think we all agree is our main aim.

I disagree because I think in the absence of huge money, we have to take a different path to the league and that is a longer, more tricky route!

I am dissapointed at the moment because of how it is has played out this season, I can offer a number of excuses but you don't get points for excuses and I realise that but I am confident that this team will finish in the top three! Essentially because I think he has built a tremendous team.

When is Purslows next spin session with SOS, intresting to hear how he trys to spin the fact the manager has basically said we have to sell players to lower the wage bill and the money will not be reinvested, wheres that £20m of new money again??????

Yer, exactly.

Our club is so obviously broken at the top, and has been for a couple of years. Is there any wonder cracks are now appearing on the pitch? How can people expect the on pitch affairs to be totally independent of the off pitch problems? Those bastards are the real problem.