You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa Exclusive in The Times

Randy Marsh

Yes, & i apologise for any possible insensitivity.

I merely meant to point out that "x years without a trophy" could be applied blindly to 3 truly great managers at 3 very big clubs

It doesn't tell us anything.

Okay. Busby got the cup in 48 and the league in 52, but he did come second an awful lot in the pre Babes era.

This is creeping in a lot now, though. Don't forget Ferguson took 7 years, Shankly went 6 seasons without, Kenny lost 4 in a row too y'know, why isn't Wenger being hounded this way etc.

Sooner or later we have to accept we're in the mire and a few wins are the only real cure - not a rush of sycophantic drivel.

I'm glad the staff are bathing in Rafa's inner light, but I wouldn't mind being able to beat Birmingham.

Of course Shankly lost to Swansea at home once......

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solid academy. In six seasons one player has managed to get a regular game and that one player according to most on here will lose his place when Unrealio is fit.

We have a reserve squad bursting with quality young talent; we will some great players in our club in the next years all coming through the ranks; both home grown and foreign.

At the very least that is something to look foward to.

MAKE IT STOP

I would love to make it stop but that requires a salary cap.

Just because you don't want something to happen doesn't make it any less true.

I don't want it to get cold in England over the next few months, but if i blindly ignored the fact that it is statistically extremely likely to & went out wearing shorts & T-shirts, i would freeze to death.

Perhaps though that would be an "excuse"

When's that from, exactly? And how is it a 'not me Guv' interview?

I filmed it myself.

Does it matter? You'd think a manager of a club with one win in 9 games would have more to do with his time than sit with journalists spewing out the same excuses time and again. He's trying to brainwash people into thinking failure is acceptable. It isn't.

I don't want it to get cold in England over the next few months, but if i blindly ignored the fact that it is statistically extremely likely to & went out wearing shorts & T-shirts, i would freeze to death.

You remind me of Rash and his constant Kuyt bashing.

It's not the fact that I don't think you have a point, It's just everytime I read another 'Wages or Net Spend' related post, I vomit and have have fits in the corner.

If that one win was in the League Cup it would be much more acceptable though wouldn't it? We'd be in the hunt for that trophy then.

I want to win the League Cup but clearly the league and CL take priority, however that being said, I'd would have just liked to have thought that had we been in this position in the league now we'd at least be doing okay in the cup competitions.

Which we aren't, apart from the FA Cup, we haven't been beaten in that this season. :drool:

I admire his firm belief he will turn it around.

I still dont think he will.

Saying you will in an interview is one thing, doing it another.

Talking about the worth of the squad means nothing to me in all honesty.

That's pretty much summed it up for me, especially the last line.

It's not the fact that I don't think you have a point, It's just everytime I read another 'Wages or Net Spend' related post, I vomit and have have fits in the corner.

But it is acceptable for people to post or the media to write innumerate crap criticising his record?

I don't mind people wanting him gone: that is entirely their right.

I do object to them making up stories about rotation or players leaving the club who obviously did so for more money or continually bashing a transfer record which is better than his peers on a portfolio basis.

If they want to criticise him, they should at least take the time & effort to do it on a reasonable & correct basis.

But it is acceptable for people to post innumerate crap criticising his record?

It's not crap though, some of it is spot on. Granted some of it can be over the top.

That being said in the past 12 months we have seen the development of an argument which has never been used to defend a manager in the past at this club, or any other club. A defence which is robotic and takes fuck all consideration to bargains or indeed expensive duds.

I am talking about 'Net Spend'...Now look what you've done, you've made me vomit, I hope you are happy with yourself.

You don't get anything. That much is obvious.

Why is that because we are currently facing mid table mediocrity, with a number of disturbing distractions going on behind the scenes, or is it that we should all be completely blinkered and simply follow the crowd, or more to the point agree with you all the time?

If you lack the intelligence to read my post correctly then say nothing, no need to continue your boring insults.

I agree with Rafa, when we have our best XI out we are as good as anyone.

We know he's missed out on players in the past, but I don't think that is a reason why we have only won one game in eleven.

I found the bit interesting when he talked about the value of the club since he's arrived. I think this rise is partly down to him, but also partly down to the fact everything has appreciated since five years ago, so it will be worth more.

But fans don't care about finances, they want trophies. I still think he's the right man, as I think overall he's done a very good job since he's arrived. However he has to prove to us he can take us to the next level and win the league, as we have already been hurt in that respect by Houiller who failed.

It should be said Benitez is Benitez, not Houiller. Let's judge his reign not Houiller's.

Don't we all miss trying to finish 6th so we can qualify for it, hoping the FA Cup is won by someone already qualified so that the spare place goes to us?

You forget that Rafa has been in the CL for the last 6 seasons because the rules of entry changed. If the rules in existance before he came still stood now he would have had one season in the competition because of our league positions.

I enjoyed the article and the perspective - is there a second part tomorrow? All i would say on a factual basis is that the 2008-9 transfer figure excludes Riera - i thought we spent about £45m last summer?

I also wonder whether the thinly veiled hint about moving to Real Madrid (and haven't we heard that before) is aimed more at the owners (loosen the pursestrings in january?) or the fans (get off my back?). Any thoughts?