You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa Exclusive in The Times

Randy Marsh

One example is how you can't mention "net spend" because all that matters is what he's spent, not what he got back in to help him get to that amount of spending. Another is how you can't mention anything that's been a hindrance to him, even when it's something that was known as a fact to have happened and something that would obviously be a hindrance. But you can mention any rumour you like, no matter how far-fetched or dubious, if it somehow proves how crap/selfish/dopey/calculating/spiteful he's been.

Another great post RR. The bit above I would go further. the media have managed to get every one talking Gross and Nett transfer spends. You see it on every forum and its good for banter but in reality its a load of bullshit.

Rafa has gone on record about not having enough money to compete with Manu and Chelsea and he gets ridiculed, laughed at because the media bring out the gross (ludicrous) & nett transfer spend. Manu selling Ronaldo is a godsend to the media, they can really give it to Rafa now.

Noone has bother to think about what Rafa is actually saying though because the biggest component of any clubs football budget, what Rafa is actually talking about btw, is wages.

So Rafa is actually right and most football supporters (all clubs) need to smarten the fuck up and stop the press peddling worthless shite.

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Little bit harsh Hermes. Do you prefer the Dark Ages of Evans and Houllier then?

So many other areas of the club haver been improved.

I especially like the swipey card thing we have now in place of tickets.

But seriously, you're right. I know this is Liverpool FC and I know what that means in terms of winning trophies but only somebody who doesn't understand the game judges a manager based solely on trophies.

No trophies in 3 seasons is some over-achievement.

He won the biggest trophy in world club football so the goalposts were moved to League performance.

Now that his record is over-achieving against the wage bill which determines 90% of your finishing position so is the only metric to use, we suddenly hear about trophies.

All the other trophies mean fuck all compared to the PL & CL.

This "no trophies for x years" nonsense immediatedly poses questions against Wenger (5), Busby ( 6) or Shankly (7) who all revolutionised English football

Twice as many trophies as Rafa in less time, some dark age.

Our club was a mess.

Rafa has done many good things for us; has created a solid Acadamy, we have finally some younsters to look foward to developing and has a created a unity about our club.

I stand by him, trophies will come.

Have faith.

He won the biggest trophy in world club football so the goalposts were moved to League performance.

Now that his record is over-achieving against the wage bill which determines 90% of your finishing position so is the only metric to use, we suddenly hear about trophies.

All the other trophies mean fuck all compared to the PL & CL.

This "no trophies for x years" nonsense immediatedly poses questions against Wenger (5), Busby ( 6) or Shankly (7) who all revolutionised English football

IMO the goal posts that need moving are fans expectations. Rafa and Purslow are trying to keep the club afloat and some expect the title. Rafa is not a miracle worker, well not a regular one anyway, so some perspective is required and that is IMO the main purpose of this interview.

Catch,

Busby 6?

Please tell me you don't mean 57-63?

Yes, & i apologise for any possible insensitivity.

I merely meant to point out that "x years without a trophy" could be applied blindly to 3 truly great managers at 3 very big clubs

It doesn't tell us anything.

Here's another talking about how he is hadicapped by finance, his favouite excuse.

Inside Soccer - Rafa Benitez interview

It isn't an excuse though, is it?

An excuse is something that doesn't really matter, wrongly used to cover up an error.

Wages determine over 90% of the expected finishing position in the English League.

When 1 single blind factor is responsible for over 90% of an outcome, it is not an excuse, but the single biggest determinant out there.

I'm positive that we could have/would win the league with more money. If we spent like Tottenham had spent, even. I'm not talking Chelsea/Man City money.

Of course, I believe that without Benitez at the helm of it. Without the money? I don't think that we'll win a fucking thing. Once again, Benitez is pretty independent of that.

It isn't an excuse though, is it?

An excuse is something that doesn't really matter, wrongly used to cover up an error.

Wages determine over 90% of the expected finishing position in the English League.

When 1 single blind factor is responsible for over 90% of an outcome, it is not an excuse, but the single biggest determinant out there.

MAKE IT STOP