You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa Exclusive in The Times

Randy Marsh

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for finances, it's amazing how many people are ignoring what this report is saying about spending.

This was my take on that. Posted it in the wrong place. Far more interesting to me than this spin vs. spin deathmatch that seems to have sucked everyone in.

Reading between the lines it fairly obvious that the slow down in spending on the first team, the aggressive recruitment of youth players and the associated bitter fight for control of the academy is all a result of us following the exact same approach to funding the stadium as Arsenal did.

Most of the spare money will be diverted to the stadium. Big names will only come in if one leaves and the revolving door policy of filling out the squad £5m players is finished. The reserves and academy have already started filling that role.

It's going to be a tough job to keep us competitive but on the other hand it's an exciting time to be a youth player because if you are good enough, in this climate, you will get chances.

It's like having a short quilt on a cold night: pull it up to cover your neck and your feet will get cold, pull it down to cover your feet and you expose your neck. Quite literally in Rafa's case.

Not a problem if you are midget, which might be good news for Maureen!

Fuckin great post mate.

People dismiss all the above factors as just "excuses", when infact they are valid reasons and the real root causes of the problems. That's not saying Rafa hasn't made mistakes, far from it. But his margin for error here is zero. If things are not perfect, as they so nearly where last year, then we suffer. People look to his previous spending in the past years, but how anyone cannot see the massive improvement in that time is beyond me. We are lightyears ahead of 2004 now.

I think our defence and midfield were arguably as good as now. So how are we light years ahead? We still don't have any decent wide players and continue to overly rely on Gerrard + a great striker (Owen and now El Nino).

My posts may look like a huge dig at Rafa; not meant to be - but he digs a hole when talking about £££ when he has spent a lot on complete shite. Keane, Babel and Dossena around £38 million.

Anyone who didn't laugh out loud at that line, have a word with yourselves.

And easy rides from rabid Liverpool fans aren't going to wipe away the spin from others. Someone above said this will "help stop the rot". It really won't.

That would be me and I was clearly referring to the OTT negative press Rafa gets. If you couldn't work that out, thats your problem not mine.

Fuckin great post mate.

People dismiss all the above factors as just "excuses", when infact they are valid reasons and the real root causes of the problems. That's not saying Rafa hasn't made mistakes, far from it. But his margin for error here is zero. If things are not perfect, as they so nearly where last year, then we suffer. People look to his previous spending in the past years, but how anyone cannot see the massive improvement in that time is beyond me. We are lightyears ahead of 2004 now.

Are we?

I make it that we're a point behind the 2004/05 team at exactly this point in the season, plus we were still in the league cup and we had our Champions league fate in our own hands.

if that's light years ahead, then I'm even more worried than I thought I was.

I think our defence and midfield were arguably as good as now. So how are we light years ahead? We still don't have any decent wide players and continue to overly rely on Gerrard + a great striker (Owen and now El Nino).

My posts may look like a huge dig at Rafa; not meant to be - but he digs a hole when talking about £££ when he has spent a lot on complete shite. Keane, Babel and Dossena around £38 million.

That list is much bigger than those three Christian, which makes it even worse.

I'm trying to point out that there is fuck all certainty that IF Rafa got £100 Million to spend that he would spend it wisely.

He's already made his fair share of cock ups and for every Torres or Reina, there is a Degen, Babel or Voronin.

£27 Million pound we wasted on Keane and Dossena, thats without including Riera. Personally, if we are going to give a manager money I'd much rather give it to someone who apparently only needs money to win the league, and thats Mourinho.

The only way Rafa would get 100million to spend would be to offload 120million's worth of players.

He has made cock up's. But that's what you get when you buy low-mid range players. And why has he had to buy low-mid range players? Because that's all he can afford. Those three cock up's you mentioned cost the club ten million pounds in transfer fees. The notable one, Robbie Keane, still got the club 16million quid back , and where has that gone? RBS.

6-10 million pound players are hit and miss. You get what you pay for. Do you think he'd rather buy a Riera than a Silva? A Degen than an Alves? A Voronin than Villa? Can you not see the link here?

It's a vicious circle

6-10 million pound players are hit and miss. You get what you pay for. Do you think he'd rather buy a Riera than a Silva? A Degen than an Alves? A Voronin than Villa? Can you not see the link here?

It's a vicious circle

He could have probably bought Silva or Villa had he not spunked £27 Million on Keane and Dossena and a further few bob on Riera.

Fuckin great post mate.

I agree the margin of error is very less here and I'm sure Rafa knows this too. But he don't half shoot his own foot by signing someone who was injured.

And I wouldn't say we are lightyears ahead of what we were in 2004. We have improved and have more quality in certain positions but our squad is still very weak - after 5 years.

Are we?

I make it that we're a point behind the 2004/05 team at exactly this point in the season, and we were still in the league cup and we had our Champions league fate in our own hands.

if that's light years ahead, then I'm even more worried than I thought I was.

Looking at the bigger picture rather than the last 2 months it's clear that we are.

So as Liverpool FC Manager, your job is now to temper expectation? My expectations are particularly tempered when I watch Dossena and Babel line up for us for a combined fee of £18 million.

Stop with the excuses Rafa and the pointless "the squad is worth more" and start winning football matches.

He has brought some talent to the club for sure, and when they are all fit I'm sure results will improve, but this Times article is cringeworthy.

Why? Is it because it involves someone in the club talking about the club. Do you prefer the 10 articles spinning shite about us daily based on fuckall?

Remember this is the very first time he has allowed a mainstream english paper this sort of interview.

Looking at the bigger picture rather than the last 2 months it's clear that we are.

I think we are, but we aren't playing like we are, we aren't defending like we are, and we don't have the passion that we should for who are perceived as better players.

Our team right now isn't the best that Rafa has had in his tenure

Finnan> Degen

Kewell > Dossena/Riera

Riise > Dossena (and thats saying something)

Crouch > Voronin and Ngog

Hyypia > Skrtel

Biscan > Lucas

Hamman > Mascherano

He could have probably bought Silva or Villa had he not spunked £27 Million on Keane and Dossena and a further few bob on Riera.

And do you not think he would have done if that was at all possible We do not know one half of what goes on or has gone on behind closed doors. I bet with the totally inept board he has above him he would have stories that would cause rioting at Anfield.

And do you not think he would have done if that was at all possible We do not know one half of what goes on or has gone on behind closed doors. I bet with the totally inept board he has above him he would have stories that would cause rioting at Anfield.

Why hasn't he said anything?

If he can't say anything, why did he sign the contract?

I think we are, but we aren't playing like we are, we aren't defending like we are, and we don't have the passion that we should for who are perceived as better players.

Our team right now isn't the best that Rafa has had in his tenure

Finnan> Degen

Kewell > Dossena/Riera

Riise > Dossena (and thats saying something)

Crouch > Voronin and Ngog

Hyypia > Skrtel

Biscan > Lucas

Hamman > Mascherano

But do Degen, Dossena, Voronin and Ngog start when everyone is fit? That's like comparing Steven Gerrard now to Richie Partridge.

I agree the margin of error is very less here and I'm sure Rafa knows this too. But he don't half shoot his own foot by signing someone who was injured.

And I wouldn't say we are lightyears ahead of what we were in 2004. We have improved and have more quality in certain positions but our squad is still very weak - after 5 years.

Its a lot, lot better but in comparison to Chelsea and ManU the difference is still massive because Chelsea raised the bar. Manu were able to manage but i suspect with City coming on the scene they will also find it increasingly difficult.