You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Alonso point is clear. The distribution from the back has been woeful this year, as there's no short ball to Xabi followed by him passing it forward.

I think that's fairly obvious since we've looked slightly better since Agger has comeback into the side.

Huh? When?

Hughes hoping City can impress Torres

Manchester City travel to Anfield today in the belief that victory might set in motion a train of events that could take Fernando Torres to Eastlands.

Rafael Benitez declared this week that he would resign if Torres were sold, but there is a belief at City that the loss of prestige created if City barge their way into Liverpool's Champions League spot could dislodge Liverpool's hold on the striker.

The club's current elite striker, Carlos Tevez, may possibly be relegated to the bench today after an unconvincing period at his new club but there is no doubting the symbolic and footballing value Torres would bring.

Manager Mark Hughes did not resist the notion yesterday that it was conceivable that City might bid for Torres at some point. "We don't discuss players at other clubs because that would be wrong to do," he said.

But he was warm in his praise for the Spaniard. "The way he has been able to come into the Premier League and make the impact he has says everything," Hughes said. "I've said time and time again it's more difficult for foreign strikers to have an immediate impact in the Premier League because it's just so new to them.

"For him to come him and have the immediate impact like he has done is of great credit to him and the way he approaches the game."

Liverpool have lost only twice to City at Anfield in the last 36 league meetings and only once in the Premier League but Hughes said he is taking encouragement from his side's displays against Arsenal and Manchester United – their two best of the season.

"We need to make sure that whoever's involved, we get the right intensity to our play and make sure we are creating chances," Hughes said. "With the attacking threat we have, we'll back ourselves in most games to create chances. It's about making sure the right people are there to take them."

Hughes hoping City can impress Torres - Premier League, Football - The Independent

Just finishing a brew off and then i'm into town to meet a mate for the game. We really need to win today. Haven't had that winning feeling since 26th October for fucks sake!

And before that, it was 25th September. How shocking is that? Two wins for Liverpool football club between 25th September and 20th November.

Come on redmen!

Johnny, have you read underneath the headline?

For what it's worth, I said the morning after the Birmingham game that I fancied us to win our next 3 games and I'm sticking by that.

'Mon reds.

I was thinking that. He hasn't said anything about wanting Torres there has he?

I'm sure he actually does want Torres though, who wouldn't? Non-story.

If Torres did actually leave us to join City then my reaction would ultimately be, 'fuck him'. I don't think he'd do that though because he's a red is Torres.

So in short he said nothing of the sort. Quelle surprise!

Agreed. That is just so fucking ridiculous it's mind boggling. It's like in one stroke that reporter has reached the bullshit standards of the Mirror! Absolutely unreal how they can actually write things like that and not feel completely stupid and truly ashamed of themselves.

Johnny, have you read underneath the headline?

For what it's worth, I said the morning after the Birmingham game that I fancied us to win our next 3 games and I'm sticking by that.

'Mon reds.

Sorry. I assumed that Hughes was briefing the press. I suppose it depends what the story says as to whether or not a manager is briefing the press or not.

I think if N'gog does the stuff today it could start marking the transition for him from being back-up because there's no one else to it being accepted that he's a pretty decent striker.

Reality is if we lose 4th is out of the window and Torres could even join them in Jan.

If that's what you're like already I dread to think what type of thread(s) you'll make if we lose.

I think if N'gog does the stuff today it could start marking the transition for him from being back-up because there's no one else to it being accepted that he's a pretty decent striker.

If that's what you're like already I dread to think what type of thread(s) you'll make if we lose.

Dont think it will change that much. it is what it is, however the importance of the this game cannot be underestimated for both teams. Liverpool beat City and its then MH will all the problems