You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If everyone apart from Torres is fit (big IF I suppose), then i'd go with this:

-------------Reina

Johnson--Carra--Agger--Aurelio

Benayoun--Aquilani--Masch--Riera

------------Gerrard

-------------N'Gog

There are still some major weaknesses there, namely Riera and N'Gog. I think N'Gog has earnt the right to play but don't see him getting any change out of Toure and Lescott. It could be a day where we rely on the midfield to score the goals.

I don't see that being the team though as i'm sure Kuyt will play and Aquilani will be on the bench. It will probably be this:

------------Reina

Johnson--Carra--Agger--Insua

Kuyt--Lucas--Mascherano--Benayoun

---------Gerrard

----------N'Gog

Edited by Brownie

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with that Brownie.

Although I wouldn't start Carragher if Skrtel was fit, think he has been very poor this season.

I know he's been poor, but I trust Carra more than Skrtel. Take Carra out of the back four and the defence seems very quiet and lacks leadership. He's played his way out of bad spells in the past and hopefully he can do it again.

If everyone apart from Torres is fit (big IF I suppose), then i'd go with this:

-------------Reina

Johnson--Carra--Agger--Aurelio

Benayoun--Aquilani--Masch--Benayoun

------------Gerrard

-------------N'Gog

There are still some major weaknesses there, namely Riera and N'Gog.

That doesn't mean Benayoun can be in two places at once.

Skrtel has been terrible.

But Carragher has been worse.

I know he's been poor, but I trust Carra more than Skrtel. Take Carra out of the back four and the defence seems very quiet and lacks leadership. He's played his way out of bad spells in the past and hopefully he can do it again.

I thought he was poor last season, he's been worse this season.

No use in organising the defense, when he's making stupid individual mistakes. Plus maybe he needs to organise it better given some of the goals we have conceeded this season.

He's only not been dropped because he's Carragher. If Skrtel had played as bad as Carragher has been, people would be calling him a flop.

Well Carragher is the vice captain as well so that comes into it. There's absolutely no way that he's been worse than Skrtel though, no way.

Well come on then, give me example on when Skrtel has been poor?

I can't remember him playing too much as he's been injured, but he was superb against Chelsea.

Carragher was at fault for the last Chelsea goal, when Drogba raped him.

He should have got sent off against United.

He was sent off against Fulham (and should have been sent off earlier).

He got raped by West Ham and Hines in particular.

That's just off the top of my head, there has been other times.

Well I certainly don't want to see him fail.

He's our best centre back when on form... but that was two years ago, bar the odd top performance.

Skrtel and Agger are both better 'footballers' than him, in my opinion and comfortable in possession.

So when Carragher is not defending well, he shouldn't be in the team, as the others offer more.

I hope he gets back to his usual self though, as I said he's our best defender, but he is currently picked on reputation rather than form in my opinion.

Skrtel should be nowhere near the team for his stupid rash decisions alone. It's his biggest weakness and causes us problems in games, time after time.

A nothing ball will be played down the middle to a striker and Skrtel, instead of jockeying him will just go straight through the back of him and then look totally shocked that a foul has been given!

It does my fucking head in every time and he doesn't learn from it.

Something else he's developed a horrible habit of, linked to this, is when the striker actually turns him and gets away from him; he just stops instead of trying to get back.

I'm not grouping you into this, LFD, but I get the impression that there's a certain section of our support who take satisfaction from seeing Carragher fail and can't wait for him to left out of the side. It's something that seems to have been going on for years now.

I think you're being a bit paranoid. I'd say Carra is one of the players our fans love the most.

Can't see anyone wanting him to fail.

I think there's far more people who seem to love seeing young foreign players play poorly and call them shit after 1 or 2 games.

His attempted header against Birmingham that caused the goal.

He's had loads of shit games.

Yes, I guess Johnson maybe gets part of the blame for that goal though.

I don't think he's played well, but I just can't think of many goals he's been responsible, unlike Carragher.

Skrtel has been generally poor but aside from the Brum. first goal, I can't recall any big unforced errors. Carra has committed at least three howlers (United, Fulham, West Ham) that should have led to goals or sendings off. Having said that, Carra has earned the right to a bad patch whereas Skrtel has not. Both of them really need a cultured partner in the Hyypia/Agger mould, though.

Skrtel should be nowhere near the team for his stupid rash decisions alone. It's his biggest weakness and causes us problems in games, time after time.

A nothing ball will be played down the middle to a striker and Skrtel, instead of jockeying him will just go straight through the back of him and then look totally shocked that a foul has been given!

I guess if you can't think of examples, just make up some shit.

Yes he can dive in too often, but it is hardly a regular occurance.

I guess if you can't think of examples, just make up some shit.

Yes he can dive in too often, but it is hardly a regular occurance.

no, it doesn't work like that. Unless you keep a diary, it can be difficult to remember the detail of a game. That's where you rely on your own judgement to accurately represent the overall characteristics of a game. Failing that, resourt to youtube. Failing that, resort to statistics - the last refuse of a todger.

I would say overall Skrtel has been worse than Carragher, certainly in the last few games they've played. Carragher started the season very badly. He was being exposed far more regularly as there was no-one to retain possession and play the ball through in midfield, and despite what many think, Kuyt offers very little support either in attack or in filling in for an attacking fullback like Johnson. It has taken all the centre backs to get used to the increased mount of traffic coming their way. I really hope that Aquiliani will take responsibility for making space in which to receive a pass from the back four or whichever non-footballing central midfield partner he has, and show composure in his distribution.

I don't see that being the team though as i'm sure Kuyt will play and Aquilani will be on the bench. It will probably be this:

------------Reina

Johnson--Carra--Agger--Insua

Kuyt--Lucas--Mascherano--Benayoun

---------Gerrard

----------N'Gog

Got to be honest mate ill be surprised if its not the team above you posted.