You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

very limited attacking options with Yossi,Riera,Torres all out

-------------Reina----------

Johnson--Carra---Agger--Insua

----------Lucas--Masch-----

Gerrard-------Aquilani-----Aurelio

----------------Kuyt-----------

subs

Cav

Degen

Skrtel

Spearing

Dossena

Babel

N'Gog

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very limited attacking options with Yossi,Riera,Torres all out

Johnson--Carra---Agger--Insua

----------Lucas--Masch-----

Gerrard-------Aquilani-----Aurelio

----------------Kuyt-----------

subs

Cav

Degen

Skrtel

Spearing

Dossena

Babel

N'Gog

N'gog to start instead of Kuyt as he needs to be dropped for playing shite recently. Although it wont happen....

i like N'Gog but i dont think he is ready to play against the top 6 sides yet, i was thinking play Stevie up top on his own but dont know how he will do just coming back from injury

He has enough natural talent to play in any position , but I don't think he has ever looked comfortable on the odd occasion we have played him in a position where he has his back to the opposing defence.

Has to be the diggleresque frenchman for me.

I hope we play 4-4-2, only Torres is capable of leading the line on his own our other strikers aren't effective in that formation.

something like

Johnson--Carra---Agger----Aurelio

Gerrard-Macherano---Aquilani--Babel

--------Kuyt-----Ngog---------

I wouldn't mind seeing Babel and Ngog upfront actually they seem to have a good understanding.

Edited by Rex Banner

I'd like to see Babel play his best position, right wing. He's barely played there during his spell with us, but he's been quite good when he did. His crossing is much better from the right side, we've scored both in the pre season and during the regular season from his crosses. Oh and N'gog needs to play up front from now on when Torres isn't playing.

I hope we play 4-4-2, only Torres is capable of leading the line on his own our other strikers aren't effective in that formation.

something like

I wouldn't mind seeing Babel and Ngog upfront actually they seem to have a good understanding.

I like that formation. I'd also like to see Babel up front with N'Gog but that would mean pushing Kuyt out to the right and moving Gerrard to the left. Not entirely sure if that is better overall than the one there.

something like

A right hand side of Johnson and Gerrard would leave Carra too exposed especially if we are going to only play one holding midfielder.

I hear City's defence have been weak. What's that down to crosses? Dribbles? Through balls? Is it shape or errors?

If form is the guide the Kuyt would be out, no doubt about it. Trouble is, who takes his place on the right? Can't see Gerrard being moved back out there and, if we are using form alone as the decider then bringing Babel ahead of Kuyt is barely justifiable.

A more adventurous option (i.e. it won't happen) would be play Kelly (if he is fit) or Carragher at RB and push Johnson further up wide on the right. Could then play Aurelio ahead of Insua on the other side.

Knowing the cautious nature of Benitez and the fact that he can hardly risk further injuries, even short-term ones, I can't see Aquilani starting this one, although it'll likely come down to either him or Gerrard, neither of whom are likely to be fully match fit, so you never know.

N'gog will start up front, and rightfully so on current form as he has been offering more than Voronin or Babel. If that's not to damn a man with faint praise.

Wondered if, with the personnel available (and not avaialable, more importantly) we might go with the 3 at the back, with Gerrard behind Kuyt and N'Gog, Aurelio & Johnson giving the width? Would make sense given what we have to choose from.

Johnson--Carra---Agger----Insua

------Macherano---Lucas

Kuyt---Gerrard---Babel

-----------Ngog---------

Yep I agree with that, assuming Aquilani isn't ready to start a game and Aurelio / Torres aren't fit.

I don't like Babel on the left, but given Yossi and Riera are out he's the only option really.