You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hillsborough Sculpture For New Stadium

Dicko

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the statue, when I first saw it I thought it was horrific but tried to understand the motives behind it. I was thinking along the lines of Jimmy McGovern's documentary - harrowing, powerful, but accurate and educational at the same time.

But if this statue is to reside in Liverpool I just don't see the point - i don't think it's people in Liverpool who need to be shocked into an education on the subject. And if just one Hillsborough family is shocked or offended by it, it is one family too many.

I don't understand how the families (all of them) were not consulted in the first place before this went public - massive oversight.

Had a fella having a pop at me earlier saying art by committee is never good, and that if the statue doesn't now go ahead it's censorship.

Sorry, but people's feelings win over 'art' every time for me.

The 96 Liverbirds is an absolutely spot on idea as well by the way.

On the statue, when I first saw it I thought it was horrific but tried to understand the motives behind it. I was thinking along the lines of Jimmy McGovern's documentary - harrowing, powerful, but accurate and educational at the same time.

But if this statue is to reside in Liverpool I just don't see the point - i don't think it's people in Liverpool who need to be shocked into an education on the subject. And if just one Hillsborough family is shocked or offended by it, it is one family too many.

I don't understand how the families (all of them) were not consulted in the first place before this went public - massive oversight.

Had a fella having a pop at me earlier saying art by committee is never good, and that if the statue doesn't now go ahead it's censorship.

I agree that art by committee is a horrendous thing and the genius of an artist shouldn't be stifled. But I also agree that this shouldn't be art. It should be a memorial. It can be both, but if it is both it should certainly be a memorial first and art second.

An (admittedly very poor) attempt

Image0341.jpg

I think in real life those ones would be bigger than 4ft.

Great idea from Ant (and well rendered by SF). It could look superb and is the sort of thing that would go an awful long way to transferring some of the history, tradition and culture of Anfield to a new gaff.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it was designed by a devout Christian, probably a Catholic. It's the only explanation I can come up with. These people are obsessed with glorifying human suffering (see: those little cross-shaped medallions of SOMEONE BEING SLOWLY AND PAINFULLY MURDERED that they all wear around their necks). It's quite perverse.

If you'd said something that offensive that about Islam you'd be in trouble

This is spot on to me.

I thought it was awful, the first time i saw it. If this was an independent sculpture by an artist at an unrelated gallery, that is one thing, but this is the official sculpture and it just doesn't sit right at all.

If you'd said something that offensive that about Islam you'd be in trouble

Mah. I don't think Muslims glorify in suffering; they just worship a dude who fucked a 9 year old girl :whistle:

I don't want to get too off-topic, but this is by the same sculptor who designed this proposed H'boro statue:

Crux1.jpg

Definitely along the same theme of "honour and glory in suffering", I think... I don't reckon my original hypothesis is too far off.

• 1 month later...