You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you agree with the following statements (re: Rafa)

Jens

Do you agree with the following statements (re: Rafa):

1. We have way too many Rafa-threads these days, all resulting in pretty much the same discussion.

2. We could gain much needed forum-peace by merging every Rafa-thread into one, like the transfer-thread we had this summer.

3. All Rafa-threads, pro or con, tries to make the truth either black or white while the actual truth most likely is inbetween.

1. Rafas fault.

2. Lucas's fault

3. Carras fault (controvery, can't beat it)

You're right though.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's start with the three most obvious ones.

Arsene Wenger, I shouldn't think needs any explanation, neither does that Baconfaced twat down the East Lancs, since proving Jockey wrong.

I disagree. I don´t think Arsenal´s young and talented squad is down to Wenger´s methods. He just buys the best young players for a lot of money.

Ferguson has of course been a manager for about two decades longer than Rafa so it´s obvious he´s had the time to develop quite a few players. But I wouldn´t say he´s a better developer of players than our Rafa at present date. They have a squad of world class talented playes, but that is more down to their hefty spending than Ferguson´s ability as a manager, I would say.

I disagree. I don´t think Arsenal´s young and talented squad is down to Wenger´s methods. He just buys the best young players for a lot of money.

Henry, Fabregas, Anelka, etc.

Ferguson has of course been a manager for about two decades longer than Rafa so it´s obvious he´s had the time to develop quite a few players. But I wouldn´t say he´s a better developer of players than our Rafa at present date. They have a squad of world class talented playes, but that is more down to their hefty spending than Ferguson´s ability as a manager, I would say.

Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, etc.

Henry, Fabregas, Anelka, etc.

Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, etc.

Fabregas was a prodigy of barcelona and debuted at 16 about a month after joining Arsenal

Anelka had already played for the PSG first team when he arrived at Arsenal at 18

Clichy had a full season in France before joining Arsenal at 18

almost all of Arsenals super kids arrived at Arsenal at 18+ and are exceptional when they arrive - Wenger is certainly excellent at spotting talent ........Henry was spotted by Wenger when at Monaco Wenger originally used him as a left winger( I think he's trying exactly the same with Walcott.....probably far more about allowing it to blossom than developing it in the first place.

Ferguson had a phenomenal group of players come through which has not since been repeated, only if it had, could you claim Ferguson was anything but lucky.

And both of them can pay enormous sums to attract the talent they do - although we've never heard of many of the kids in question - the likes of denilson, ramsey, song, diaby, etc were all being chased by many of europes top clubs giving them a head start in the 'developing' stakes.

Vulmea, the question is one of who develops players, not who breastfed them. If you go out and take a risk on a player and turn him from a promising one into a star, then you have developed him as a footballer, no? Part of it is in spotting the talent and another part in bringing it out. I was asked to give examples of three managers who have good records of this compared to Benitez and to justify my choices, which I believe I have done. Now it's clear Rafa has done this to an extent with Torres, but he was already captain of his club and a household name, brought in on a record fee. You can't say the same of the players I named above, and they by no means comprise the full list. If we can see the list of players Rafa has had the same type of success with, perhaps we can make a fair comparison. My personal belief is that this is not the strongest area of Rafa's expertise nor what he has built his success on, and that it's a stretch to identify him as one of the best in the game, that's my point here.

1. Rafa is one of the best in the business at developing players. Reina, Gerrard and Torres had probably not been the same players had they played under another manager during the last few seasons.

no

2. Rafa is capable of transforming a bunch of players into a unit that can be strong throughout a whole season.

no

3. Rafa is a gentleman, gracious in defeat. He rather points out his team´s mistakes than going after the referee after a bad performance.

If you do, then isn´t it obvious he´s the right man for Liverpool Football Club?

sometimes