You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you agree with the following statements (re: Rafa)

Jens

1. Rafa is one of the best in the business at developing players. Reina, Gerrard and Torres had probably not been the same players had they played under another manager during the last few seasons.

2. Rafa is capable of transforming a bunch of players into a unit that can be strong throughout a whole season.

3. Rafa is a gentleman, gracious in defeat. He rather points out his team´s mistakes than going after the referee after a bad performance.

If you do, then isn´t it obvious he´s the right man for Liverpool Football Club?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. No. I think any manager worth his salt should be able to do this. There are plenty of examples where he plainly has failed at doing it.

2. No. Certainly hasn't shown that since he's been here.

3. Er, no. Injuries and referees are often touted.

So, in answer to your last question, it is not at all obvious to me. Opinions, eh?

1. No, I would say definitely not. Gerrard, Reina and Torres were already top internationals when Rafa took them on a step. There have been a lot of promising young players either stand still at liverpool under Rafa or even go backwards.

2. Have you actually been to or seen any games this season? Every season so far we have been abysmal for periods before going on a great run of victories so to suggest we are strong throughout a whole season is ridiculous. We havent done that since Rafa took over. We had seven draws in ten games last season which was Rafa's best season so far.

3. Referees and Injuries are used as an excuse quite a lot. Not to Houllier levels admittedly but still used more than they should be.

I like Rafa but I hate it when people try to make out like he is some sort of Shanklyesque saint. It makes it harder to defend him against people who constantly slag him off when other people make out like he is the perfect manager.

There is a middle ground you know lads, he doesnt have to be either the best manager in the world or shite.

1. No, I would say definitely not. Gerrard, Reina and Torres were already top internationals when Rafa took them on a step. There have been a lot of promising young players either stand still at liverpool under Rafa or even go backwards.

2. Have you actually been to or seen any games this season? Every season so far we have been abysmal for periods before going on a great run of victories so to suggest we are strong throughout a whole season is ridiculous. We havent done that since Rafa took over. We had seven draws in ten games last season which was Rafa's best season so far.

3. Referees and Injuries are used as an excuse quite a lot. Not to Houllier levels admittedly but still used more than they should be.

His achievements with Valencia speaks volumes, mate. When this squad have had enough time together, I´m sure he will get it right. The foundation is well in place now, but we have seen more than a shitload of players come and go during his reign here so that has pretty much made it impossible for Rafa to have a good consistent season with the team. That´s my opinion, take it or leave it.

Top international might go for Gerrard but he didn´t score 20+ goals a season did he? In fact he was closer to 5 goals a season.

As for Reina and Torres, they were not regarded top internationals when Rafa signed them. Nando has even said himself Rafa has made him raise his game to a new level.

it seems like he can transform good players into becoming superstars but i dont think he can create young talents into stars, atleast not yet.

he is capable of making a team play very well and work as a whole unit, but it only works about 60-70% of the season

i do think he is a gentleman of the game, not often do others get the fault for our failing.

1. Rafa is one of the best in the business at developing players. Reina, Gerrard and Torres had probably not been the same players had they played under another manager during the last few seasons.

2. Rafa is capable of transforming a bunch of players into a unit that can be strong throughout a whole season.

3. Rafa is a gentleman, gracious in defeat. He rather points out his team´s mistakes than going after the referee after a bad performance.

If you do, then isn´t it obvious he´s the right man for Liverpool Football Club?

No

No

Maybe,

No

I like Rafa but I hate it when people try to make out like he is some sort of Shanklyesque saint. It makes it harder to defend him against people who constantly slag him off when other people make out like he is the perfect manager.

There is a middle ground you know lads, he doesnt have to be either the best manager in the world or shite.

I agree with this. I don't know anyone who would say he's a poor manager. I don't believe he's as good as some on here do, but he's plainly not a bad manager and there's absolutely no guarantee that his replacement would be any better.

1. Shrewd business man might be a bit much mate, Wesly Woppa was a shrewd business man at West Derby School, selling Mr Freezes at break and lunch time for 20p.

Rafa on the other hand has spent 229 millionsssss, with a net spend of around 117 million a number of high profile failures, however I don't think the blame should land on his door dfor the majortiy as the players themselves simply werent up for the challenge, however i do blame him for the following:

Josemi

Nunez

Gonzalez

Paletta

Leto

2. Have to breath deep and say no, to many notable failures, morientes, Bellamy, Carson , Keane etc etc.

3. that's just down to him being stubborn and saying fuck all, I bet the payers get a bollocking week in week out.

I completely disagree with this, Gerrard, Torres and Reina would be world class players with almost any manager worth their paycheck. They weren't exactly unknowns before he started working with them. To be one of the best in the business I would want to see evidence of him developing other players, and doing it better than other managers. I don't really.

Again I disagree. He is capable of getting a team to gel and play good football at the end of a season, but by then it is usually too late in several competitions. His teams nearly always waste the first half of the season, and this is a big problem for him in the premier league where to win it you need to show good form throughout the season.

He used to be like this but has become increasingly bitter.

think there are better examples of players he has developed

Biscan, Traore he actually got decent games out of somehow

Carra - became a top drawer centre back

Baros had one sublime spell when he lifted his head off his chest before he put it back down again

Finnan was on his way out before Rafa turned up

he's also failed notably with Cisse, Morientes, Babel, Keane, Dossena, Paletta.

strong throughout a season - no evidence of that for me - always a major slump which follows us 'being out of the title race' or oddly enough 'top of the table'

still didn't use the beach ball as an excuse nor pretend Ngog was a penalty - plenty would have - think he has a lot of dignity - lost it at Spurs though - maybe he could see what was coming

As for Reina and Torres, they were not regarded top internationals when Rafa signed them. Nando has even said himself Rafa has made him raise his game to a new level.

Torres played 43 games for the Spanish senior side before we signed him.

Steven Gerrard scored less goals pre-Benitez but was still one of Europes best midfielders, Chelsea proved this by bidding £20m then £50m for him.

When we bought Reina, benitez said himself he was the best goalkeeper in Spain.

Benitez has improved all of these players but they were already top players when he bought them, that is what I was saying.

what john said