You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lucas was brilliant against Newcastle last season; absolutely class. Unfortunately he's played about 60/70 games and has only had what you'd describe as a 'good' performance in about 10% of them.

I see signs this season that he's improving though, and now that I look at him as purely a defensive player my view has changed a lot.

Numerous times last night, Ian, Reading players were waltzing past him as he struggled to keep up.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Numerous times last night, Ian, Reading players were waltzing past him as he struggled to keep up.

There were times when he was beaten, without a doubt. And at times he did some extremely poor things, but that happens mate. All players make mistakes in games, it's the nature of the game.

He's making less of them though, in my opinion, and he's influencing things more than he used to.

I still think he's an average footballer but when he's playing the holding role alongside a 'real' player, we don't really need him to be anything special and that's my point. I don't think Mascherano is a good footballer either, he's just a great battler who has the ability of winning the ball back; all teams need that type of player.

There were times when he was beaten, without a doubt. And at times he did some extremely poor things, but that happens mate. All players make mistakes in games, it's the nature of the game.

He's making less of them though, in my opinion, and he's influencing things more than he used to.

I still think he's an average footballer but when he's playing the holding role alongside a 'real' player, we don't really need him to be anything special and that's my point. I don't think Mascherano is a good footballer either, he's just a great battler who has the ability of winning the ball back; all teams need that type of player.

I just don't see it, Brownie.

He's a massive liability and with Mascherano likely to go can anyone honestly say they have confidence in Lucas to step up and produce the type of performance Mascherano regularly gives us in massive games? I can just see him getting swallowed up.

I just don't see it, Brownie.

He's a massive liability and with Mascherano likely to go can anyone honestly say they have confidence in Lucas to step up and produce the type of performance Mascherano regularly gives us in massive games? I can just see him getting swallowed up.

I wouldn't say i'd be confident about it, far from it, but if Mascherano leaving was to generate a lot of money (which would be used to re-invest in the team) then i'd be willing to give it a go.

If it didn't work out, then i'd be proven wrong, simple as that mate.

It's funny, as I see Paul saying yesterday was the best he's seen Lucas play, and I've spoken to others who thought he had a good game. I've also spoken to a few other mates who thought he was the worst player on the pitch (excluding Insua).

I thought he was one of our top five performers, but still pretty poor on the day.

He divides opinion more than anyone I can remember.

I've always thought he gets mroe shit than he deserves and have defended him a few times but then i always thought he was our 4th choice midfielder. However, we've somehow got to the point where he's more likely to get played in there than anyone else. He does a decent job breaking up play and playing it simple to one of our players, basically a poor man's Didi Hamman, but he isn't good enough yet to be a nailed on starter which he seems to have become in a lot of people's minds.

And he's no better suited to the role of box to box midfielder than a Irish priest is to the role of baby sitter. Without even mentioning his control and shooting he's just too slow to do that in our league.

Aye, sitting 7th in the league, thats our standards with Lucas in the team.

Does being 7th mean that you start with replacing the most consistent performer in the team? Gerrard was absolutely nowhere to be seen yesterday, I think his midfield days may well be over. To me he is not a midfielder any more, more an attacker with flashes of (match winning) brilliance. We have at the moment two decent midfielders at the club who has proven themselves in the PL, Lucas and Masch. Agree with those who think they cannot play together, no creativity. But Lucas at the moment is a key member of our squad/team. What we need to do is find 2 more quality strikers. (We have 1 in the entire squad ffs) Maybe Ngog can grow into one of them, maybe. Then we need some pace and skill on both flanks. I also think we need at least 1-2 new fullbacks. Only Johnson (maybe) and Aurelio (when fit :santa:) are good enough. Our centre backs are way to weak in the air, we are now like we were in the 90s. One long ball into our box will create massive problems. Then we also need more creativity in midfield to mix with the attributes of Masch and/or Lucas. Maybe Aquiliani can add this, I really hope so. All of this needs to be sorted to improve our team. Targeting Lucas is fine, he is not a world beater and not a spectacular player. But he is not the reason we are only 7th in my opinion, all the above weaknesses are.

Does being 7th mean that you start with replacing the most consistent performer in the team? Gerrard was absolutely nowhere to be seen yesterday, I think his midfield days may well be over. To me he is not a midfielder any more, more an attacker with flashes of (match winning) brilliance. We have at the moment two decent midfielders at the club who has proven themselves in the PL, Lucas and Masch. Agree with those who think they cannot play together, no creativity. But Lucas at the moment is a key member of our squad/team. What we need to do is find 2 more quality strikers. (We have 1 in the entire squad ffs) Maybe Ngog can grow into one of them, maybe. Then we need some pace and skill on both flanks. I also think we need at least 1-2 new fullbacks. Only Johnson (maybe) and Aurelio (when fit :santa:) are good enough. Our centre backs are way to weak in the air, we are now like we were in the 90s. One long ball into our box will create massive problems. Then we also need more creativity in midfield to mix with the attributes of Masch and/or Lucas. Maybe Aquiliani can add this, I really hope so. All of this needs to be sorted to improve our team. Targeting Lucas is fine, he is not a world beater and not a spectacular player. But he is not the reason we are only 7th in my opinion, all the above weaknesses are.

Why would we replace Reina?

Ted has been on ignore for months. I just make the mistake of viewing the odd post.

I thought Darby should have headed the ball for a corner yesterday. Does everyone agree that is was Lucas' fault?

Probably a combination of the two of them were to blame, but those with the usual agenda will just blame Lucas.

Cant agree with this , personally i think Lucas is massively overrated , he may well be classed as a holding midfielder but his passing is woeful. For me he is a liability .

Him and Kuyt are stinking the place out at the moment.

I just don't get that comment. He rarely gives the ball away and yesterday made a couple of very good forward passes. One to Kuyt and one to Gerrard which could have resulted in goals.

I really don't know what some people are seeing.

That's what I was thinking. Surely the only agenda we have is seeing our team play well and win games?

Oh come on! It's blatant that to a lot of people being proven correct is the most important thing for them. If they have decided someone is rubbish they then hope it's proven.

Oh come on! It's blatant that to a lot of people being proven correct is the most important thing for them. If they have decided someone is rubbish they then hope it's proven.

I'm sure that is the case with some people but I don't think it's blatantly obvious at all and I wouldn't want to bore myself with analysing it, to be honest.

Anyone I suspect of being that way inclined will just be ignored.