You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Lucas, I just don't like his partnership with Mascherano, it lacks quality in possession for me. A partnership of Lucas / Aquilani or Lucas / Gerrard against the weaker sides in the league would be fine, in my opinion.

In reality he's just not as good as Mascherano and should be his back up.

The centre midfield should be Mascherano or Lucas alongside Aquilani or Gerrard. But Gerrard or Aquilani should play as we need more class in the middle of the park, since Alonso left.

Guest Pistonbroke
What % of our goals would you say are down to mistakes by Mascherano and Lucas vs. the defenders then?

I don't like stats. But you defend as a team or not ? So being as we are playing two defensive midfielder's then the law of averages say our defence is coming under pressure because the midfield are not exactly commanding the game. Every time they lose a ball or give a silly free kick away it results in the opposition becoming an attacking threat. It doesn't have to be the mistake which directly leads to a goal but also what led up to this. I've never been one to jump on the " Lucas is shit band wagon " but he is limited and he gives far too many free kicks away. Mash has been one of our best players of late and always gives 100% ( damn, that sounds like a stat )... Lucas isn't a patch on Mash, not his fault like.

I don't like stats. But you defend as a team or not ? So being as we are playing two defensive midfielder's then the law of averages say our defence is coming under pressure because the midfield are not exactly commanding the game. Every time they lose a ball or give a silly free kick away it results in the opposition becoming an attacking threat. It doesn't have to be the mistake which directly leads to a goal but also what led up to this. I've never been one to jump on the " Lucas is shit band wagon " but he is limited and he gives far too many free kicks away. Mash has been one of our best players of late and always gives 100% ( damn, that sounds like a stat )... Lucas isn't a patch on Mash, not his fault like.

I agree in general BUT the # of individual mistakes by defenders is obvious even without stats. I've never seen a defence so disorganized, so much tentativeness, poor positioning, not covering, not adjusting to compensate for the weaknesses of others, etc. Each of those on their own is more significant than Mascherano and Lucas IMO.

BTW A fair portion of those free kicks come from the defence backing off or being out of position and the CMs having to tackle from behind as a result. The Gerrard penalty and Lucas O.G. in the Villa game for example.

I find some people's view's on Lucas quite disturbing.

I take it this all is part of the 'lowering of expectations' I keep hearing about?

What you think there's a clandestine society of Lucas worshipers who meet in darkened rooms to hatch nefarious plans on how to "lower expectations"?

How about they just see the game differently to you, value different things, have realistic expectations etc etc.

What you think there's a clandestine society of Lucas worshipers who meet in darkened rooms to hatch nefarious plans on how to "lower expectations"?

How about they just see the game differently to you, value different things, have realistic expectations etc etc.

Nope, just another step towards our acceptance of mediocrity.

I thought Lucas broke things up nicely in the first half on Sunday. However, as always, I thought he was ponderous on the ball. Xabi (who he has effectively, if unfairly, replaced this season) would already know what was on when he received it and could therefore hit an early forward pass. However Lucas takes a touch to control it, looks up, takes another touch, the early pass has gone and so he hits it, often after a third touch, sideways.

I thought Lucas broke things up nicely in the first half on Sunday. However, as always, I thought he was ponderous on the ball. Xabi (who he has effectively, if unfairly, replaced this season) would already know what was on when he received it and could therefore hit an early forward pass. However Lucas takes a touch to control it, looks up, takes another touch, the early pass has gone and so he hits it, often after a third touch, sideways.

That's exactly it. I think he provides adequate cover for central midfield, but when we are relying on him to be providing quick passes to start attacks, the whole thing falls on its ass. he is not as bad as some make out, but the role he is currently playing is utterly wrong for him.

This...

explains it very well

I dont rate him too highly and in a perfect world I'd love it if we had someone better in there.

But I have to admit I thought he was one of the best players on the pitch against Arsenal,he broke up their play a fair amount and was getting himself into good positions.

But all in all, I dont think hes good enough.

Stevies one of the best in the world playing behind a front man but we really should play him where Lucas is and stick Aquilani behind the front man.

I find some people's view's on Lucas quite disturbing.

I take it this all is part of the 'lowering of expectations' I keep hearing about?

If the man of the match votes are anything to go by on here he'll be our player of the season. You're right though it's a bit disturbing.