You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Eccleston rejects new contract

redfromtubebar

I wonder who offers them contracts these days? Rafa can't do all that shit as well can he?

As for SD's point, surely if Eccleston has been paying attention he can see that Babel and Voronin are ahead of him in the pecking order, neither of whom the manager has any trust in. We've got a shit load of injuries, Eccleston's been on the bench a couple of times, there's never been a better time for him to get a chance at a top club.

That's the way I would see it of course - he might have been offered a chance of some first team football elsewhere I guess, plus there was all that fucking about last year about him moving up to the reserves or not.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is going to happen a lot now. One of the worries I have about us giving huge contract improvements to players like Agger, Yossi, Dirk, Masch etc - at the end of the day not superstars just first team regulars - is that all the playing staff's salary expectations will automatically rise when they see these over the top deals being agreed.

Really needs sorting out - but the precedent has now been set so it makes it harder. As in the summer it seemingly eats away at any cash tucked away for actual tranfer fees.

Did they say why he rejected it? Could just be money

Rafa never rejected an offer, they were in protracted negotiations, but he never rejected a proper offer.

Nah, we signed him from Bury.

I seem to remember quite a big spread Rafa did for Barrett in the Echo where he explained why he had rejected his contract, not embarked on protracted negotiations.

It's not the point I was making though? My point was pay one person signifcantly inflated wages, then everyone will expect that little bit more (whatever the level/experience).

Point taken.

But I don't think there's a way to stop that without capping wages, bonuses etc. which won't happen.

It's the same in all walks of life where business is concerned.

I seem to remember quite a big spread Rafa did for Barrett in the Echo where he explained why he had rejected his contract, not embarked on protracted negotiations.

He rejected it alright on more than one occasion I believe;

Liverpool Echo.co.uk - News - Liverpool Local News - No deal: Stunner as Rafa Benitez rejects Anfield contract offer - Liverpool FC latest

Comparing a reserve player and the man who has to run everything to do with the playing side of the club is pointless.

Who's comparing them? I'm just pointing out Rafa did reject a contract offer so you can't hold it against Eccleston if he thinks the deal isn't quite right'

Not that we do know the reason of course'

Didn't manure reject him before liverpool signed him?

sure did, he was born in manc land, really weird set up at melwood not sure if rafa just gets a raffle going to see whos next on the bench, I would really like to see someone be given a decent chance, with the exception of our good friend " David "tom Daly" Ngog"...

Do I know what rhetorical means?

I thought this kid signed a 3 year deal last year? In which case why are we offering him a new one? I've been wrong before mind but if we are offering a new one I can't think it would be worse terms than what he's on - so an extension maybe - in which case he's probably spot on waiting to see whether he's been given a chance in the next year or so.

going forward maybe - defensively worse than Babel and I never thought I'd get those words in a sentence

he was a forward until he came here though.he'll learn that easily enough hopefully.

its not like rafa to play a forward on the right wing is it? (6)

ps-'fortune favours the brave'........hence,why we'll never win it under RB!