You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benitez to solve Liverpool midfield problems with Real Madrid's Diarra

torrific

Yes, when the players needed a rest, much to our chagrin. However, he'd not play him over a big money signing consistency.

Benitez really doesn't care much about price tag.

A few examples:

Keane, Babel, Crouch and Bellamy have all been benched/remained on the bench while players like Voronin, El Zhar and Ngog have been preferred.

Also Dossena/Insua. Lucas v Alonso/Macherano (on occasions).

I would rather keep The Chief if it was possible. Diarra is good but I wouldn't say he was Premiership proven as he only played a full season with Pompey.

I also thought the fee Madrid page for iin was too high.

I thought the facts were pretty clear on this in that Mascher has refused a new contract and will have to be sold in January or end of season when he will only have one year left on his contract.

getting in a player as good as Diarra and some pocket money for Tom would be a right result

From Rafa's point of view this makes little sense even if he could get Barcelona to pay 35 million for Mascherano, which I doubt. That 35 million would easily pay for Diarra and a CB, such as Hangeland. But then we have the owners, which means that a nice percentage of the next "big name" sale will go towards the interest payments. That means no Diarra, no CB, a worse defensive midfielder, everyone even more upset. No upside.

I would have no problem with Diarra, a good player, perfectly good enough for our midfield as an option. With the owners and the banker, forget about it.

I thought the facts were pretty clear on this in that Mascher has refused a new contract and will have to be sold in January or end of season when he will only have one year left on his contract.

getting in a player as good as Diarra and some pocket money for Tom would be a right result

Has he been offered a new contract?

Despite his lack of goals and assists, I think he moves the ball around better than Mascherano, but Mascherano is better at pressing and breaking up.

Diarra hasn't done it in the big games yet though like Javier has, and you have to ask why Chelsea and Arsenal would let him go so cheap. We've seen loads of players have great games for teams like Pompey against us, but it doesn't mean they can do it at the highest level. I'll have to admit I have not watched him play for Real Madrid though, perhaps he's tearing up La Liga for them.

Does he have an attitude problem?

He clearly wants first team football - he left Arsenal and Chelsea for this, he is linked with other clubs because he's not a regular in the Real side. I don't think we can guarantee him regular football or anymore regular than he's getting at Real.

He's very much a regular at Real and starts more or less every meaningful game he's fit for.