You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Rafa capable of winning the Premier League?

The Owld Fecker

He had a chance this year and was badly let down

He's been a lucky manager and he has saved all his back luck for this one season.

He is damaged goods now I am afraid, its clear he doesnt have the full support of the dresssing room but hopefuly he can steer us into 4th place.

I realise you're a bit 'out there' but fuck lucky, two la liga, a uefa cup, a champions league, an Fa cup, various finals, is not fucking lucky!

The press might like to think that, but that is no reason for you to repeat it!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He had a chance this year and was badly let down

He's been a lucky manager and he has saved all his back luck for this one season.

He is damaged goods now I am afraid, its clear he doesnt have the full support of the dresssing room but hopefuly he can steer us into 4th place.

The season is not yet over Nick. As much as it is impossible now, mathematically we are still in the chase for the title.

This is far from over and Rafa is getting down to matters the way he knows.

Keeping his team focused despite all the injuries.

This is where it counts.

Yes if he picks a solid 11, lets them go on a run playing together so they are familiar with each other, sticks to it and doesn't change his mind.

To be fair to Rafa - Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Mascherano, Kuyt, Gerrard and Torres play nearly every game when fit. Certainly in the league.

The reason I'm asking is that I don't believe he actually understands what is required.

This is a proper tool's statement. Why do people say this? Everybody understands what it takes. If you pick up more points over 38 games than the other 19 teams, then you win the Premiership.

What else is there to understand?

This is a proper tool's statement. Why do people say this? Everybody understands what it takes. If you pick up more points over 38 games than the other 19 teams, then you win the Premiership.

What else is there to understand?

I think he was refering to how Rafa defensive tactics are of no use in a league where attacking is highly considered to be more effective.

Maybe...

Last season's run in proved to me that he knows what's required when we played aggressive, high tempo, attacking football with a compact shape and a high defensive line. Whether or not he'll actually turn that knowledge into a title is another point entirely. However, I'm convinced he knows.

He knows - he proved in Spain and HERE last season that he knows A:) What it takes to dominate a league and win it during the months that matter and B:) how to fight to the VERY end in the games that affect the league as a whole and here he's learnt each season something new - how to go on long unbeaten runs, how to beat the 'bigger teams', how to SMASH the 'smaller' teams, how to lead the table for long periods AND slug it out for first spot over a period of months as we did last season.

The Only and I mean the ONLY thing he's not done yet here is actually win the damn thing and with a combination of finanical constraints, an injury crisis that would of done for the Roman War Machine never mind the Liverpool team, an anti-Benitez barrage in the media of RIDICULOUS proportions, fans who read the internet, listen to the phone ins and react like sheep - oh yes and losing some of his best transfer targets due to above mentioned financial troubles I think it's safe to say he'll have one heck of a job doing THAT this season - but you never know and I think if he DOES stay - then yes, fans of other teams can have all the opinions they like but he WILL crack it - I seem to remember a few of our fans shouting ''Fergie must stay'' in 1990 while it was the Manchester fans who wanted him gone - Well, we got our wish and don't we feel stupid for that now? I've a feeling, just a feeling mind that Rafa's somehow going to make all those fans of other teams shouting ''Rafa must stay'' on the net and teasing us on phone ins etc swallow their words with a VERY large dose of humble pie before long..............................................

NB So to some up, Yes Rafa' DOES know how to win it and yes he WILL win us it one day soon.

Why does everyone use the Alex Ferguson took 6 years or whatever it was example. It's a pretty much the exception rather than the rule. Is there any OTHER manager in the world who after 5 years of not winning his teams national title has then turned things around and won it?

The Ferguson example is pretty fucking tiring at this point.