You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hamburg

PaulMcC

• 2 years later...
Guest Pistonbroke
Anyone?

I am off there shortly with Mrs LL, need some recommendations of things to see and do.

To work through your list.

Eat & Drink.

If you want a coffee and a small snack then i would recommend "Cafe Elbgold." It can get a bit busy but i like vibrant places. Decent enough prices for a major city like Hamburg and a far better alternative to Starbucks etc.

If you like fish then Hamburg is the place to be. The wife and I had a meal in "Stocks Fischrestaurant" and it was gorgeous, bit pricey though.

Being as you are going to Germany i personally think you should try out the local cuisine rather than go for all the fancy food. We went to Brauhaus "Joh. Albrecht" which is set up like an old brewery, fantastic atmosphere and they brew their own beer within the premises. We also have one in Bielefeld but on a smaller scale. Worthwhile just spending a whole evening in there as you get the lovely ale, decent local food and a warm vibrant atmosphere.

"Finnegan's Wake" is a very good Irish bar.

"Grosse Freiheit 36" Live music and packed to the rafters.

I could go on for hours about the various places i have been over the years but once you hit Hamburg you will realise it is one of those cities where you just go with the flow and work things out for yourself.

History

Town Hall (Rathaus), steeped in history.

Michaeliskirche (St Michael's church). Near the St Pauli area of Hamburg, they have the St Pauli stadium which is called the Millerntor-Stadion. Two birds with one stone.

Deichstrasse. One of the nicest streets in Hamburg and with a lot of history behind it. Basically the street which separates the main centre from the dock side of things.

The "International Maritime Museum" is well worth a look, something like 10 floors and covers everything you'd want to know.

If you are into art then the "Hamburger Kunsthalle" is great.

I could go on for ages again as if you get out and about there are literally loads of historic/cultural places to visit.

Walks.

You'll do enough walking trying to get the docks in mate. if you like cycling a guided cycle tour is great. Might be worth going on-line and finding out about the places i mention and more...that way you can form some sort of plan and write down addresses etc.

Don't listen to Simon and the like. Any major City has its dangers if you put yourself in a daft situation. Just keep where the numbers are and avoid going down side-streets when its dark and no tourists are about. Keep your valuables where a pickpocket can't get at them and you'll be fine.

P:S Even if fish isn't your thing visiting the fish market is a must. Huge, plus they sell all kinds of things.

Anyone?

I am off there shortly with Mrs LL, need some recommendations of things to see and do.

Reperbahn is fucking Awesome be careful though its a very Dangerous place, Dont give into the Whores aswell they do nothing mate haha. All the Clubs are dangerous too some you have to pay to get out so be very careful.

The twenty up bar is really nice, it's a bar located on 20th floor of Empire Riverside hotel so really nice views of the city.

header_2_20up.jpg

The Reeperbahn is an assault of sleaze but also quite fun, if you are with your missus you should get too much hassle and the pubs are lively.

• 3 years later...

Going on a stag do in a fortnight. About 20 going so I imagine we'll do our own thing in the days then meet up the night.

Hear there's a belter model village?

You're thinking of MiniaturWunderland, probably. It's a warehouse in the docks that is dedicated to small models. Sounds awful when described, but it's really good fun; they have entire countries modeled, planes, trains, cars all moving and a lot of little easter eggs in the sets to look for: amorous couples, comedy scenes, aliens etc. The amount of effort and professionalism is really impressive and even if you're not into models (I'm not and had to be dragged there against my will) you'll likely appreciate it just for the enormity of what they've achieved.

Fun fact: my clown-on-a-tightrope avatar is from one of their models.

• Upvote 1

To work through your list.

Eat & Drink.

If you want a coffee and a small snack then i would recommend "Cafe Elbgold." It can get a bit busy but i like vibrant places. Decent enough prices for a major city like Hamburg and a far better alternative to Starbucks etc.

If you like fish then Hamburg is the place to be. The wife and I had a meal in "Stocks Fischrestaurant" and it was gorgeous, bit pricey though.

Being as you are going to Germany i personally think you should try out the local cuisine rather than go for all the fancy food. We went to Brauhaus "Joh. Albrecht" which is set up like an old brewery, fantastic atmosphere and they brew their own beer within the premises. We also have one in Bielefeld but on a smaller scale. Worthwhile just spending a whole evening in there as you get the lovely ale, decent local food and a warm vibrant atmosphere.

"Finnegan's Wake" is a very good Irish bar.

"Grosse Freiheit 36" Live music and packed to the rafters.

I could go on for hours about the various places i have been over the years but once you hit Hamburg you will realise it is one of those cities where you just go with the flow and work things out for yourself.

History

Town Hall (Rathaus), steeped in history.

Michaeliskirche (St Michael's church). Near the St Pauli area of Hamburg, they have the St Pauli stadium which is called the Millerntor-Stadion. Two birds with one stone.

Deichstrasse. One of the nicest streets in Hamburg and with a lot of history behind it. Basically the street which separates the main centre from the dock side of things.

The "International Maritime Museum" is well worth a look, something like 10 floors and covers everything you'd want to know.

If you are into art then the "Hamburger Kunsthalle" is great.

I could go on for ages again as if you get out and about there are literally loads of historic/cultural places to visit.

Walks.

You'll do enough walking trying to get the docks in mate. if you like cycling a guided cycle tour is great. Might be worth going on-line and finding out about the places i mention and more...that way you can form some sort of plan and write down addresses etc.

Don't listen to Simon and the like. Any major City has its dangers if you put yourself in a daft situation. Just keep where the numbers are and avoid going down side-streets when its dark and no tourists are about. Keep your valuables where a pickpocket can't get at them and you'll be fine.

P:S Even if fish isn't your thing visiting the fish market is a must. Huge, plus they sell all kinds of things.

deutschland/hamburg ist sehr gut

Shame so many cities have to turn to sleaze to sell themselves these days, don't see the appeal at all, so many eastern European capitals too seem to have gone down this route.

Hamburg is a huge port city - I think the third largest in Europe? It's always had a large red light district, but there's much more to the city of two million people than that. It has a large particle physics and biological research facility (second biggest in Europe after CERN), it's a large fishing port and has a history over the last 400-600 years as one of the most liberal and powerful trading ports in Europe. It's also a major media centre of Germany with the headquarters of Der Spiegel and a couple of national tv stations.

Fellas may go over on the piss, watch some of the unmentionable and follow it up on the Reeperbahn, but there's way more to HH than that. I'm next going over between Christmas and New Year to attend the largest computer hacking conference in Europe, the CCC. A couple of years ago, one delegate showed off his own home-made satellite tracking station made with parts salvaged off a US Navy warship and Glen Greenwald gave the keynote. It's nowhere near like (for example) Bucharest or Prague, where a lot of the culture has been sacrificed to tourists wanting cheap drink and sex. Prague, in particular, has a wonderful history that gets completely missed out by people attracted over the last ten years by cheap beer.