You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kuyt

Carradona

genuinely Tom? You really think that?

He was slower, his touch was probably about as good, and his finishing - from what i've seen on Ngog so far, was probably about the same. They both had a similar atitude.

To me, although they're completely different types of players, they are probably similar sort of quality.

At the same age mellor was better and he's better now.

His touch was miles better and so was his finishing.

Neither are good enough for us right now, but I'd take Mellor over N'Gog all day long.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the same age mellor was better and he's better now.

His touch was miles better and so was his finishing.

Neither are good enough for us right now, but I'd take Mellor over N'Gog all day long.

the only part of that i'd agree with it that he's better now. I never saw what the fuss was in mellor, other than he gave his all.

the only part of that i'd agree with it that he's better now. I never saw what the fuss was in mellor, other than he gave his all.

same as N'gog then I guess.

nowhere near good enough. But tries hard.

brilliant.

Liverpool should just sign me!

Mellor could finish. He was a natural. He'll always get goals and at a Championship level it'll be bags of them. The issue was always his mobility and his injuries. I think the issue is that there's a hope that Ngog will develop into a better player than Mellor is.

Think the major difference is Ngog is gettin first team starts at an age were Mellor wasn't.

It would've helped Mellor and it'll help Ngog.

Think the major difference is Ngog is gettin first team starts at an age were Mellor wasn't.

It would've helped Mellor and it'll help Ngog.

Yep, you're probably right. I think that Mellor always had a bit of a glass ceiling on how far he could go though, due to the lack of pace, but he might have proven me wrong and turned out to be a good top level forward, like Ashton for instance.

I'm not happy with the squad. The difference between people at the moment is how much of the blame they place for that at whose feet. I place less than a lot of people at the manager's feet but there's still a good chunk of it he has to swallow.

same as N'gog then I guess.

nowhere near good enough. But tries hard.

brilliant.

Liverpool should just sign me!

sadly you're right Tom. My point was never that Ngog was good enough, just that a player similarly not good enough wasnt given the same level of shit, and was actually given a great deal of support. Your point, as sad as it is, stands though.

In a good team thats flying Dirk does well.

In a team thats struggling he looks woeful.

He's still got a part to play he just shouldnt have such a big one.

And therein lies the crux of the matter. He basically plays in exactly the same way. However, when we're playing well the ball falls more often and more favourably for him, minimising his deficiencies and maximising his strength.

Nah, the rest of the team ain't playing as bad as him. He is shockingly poor. As he was for most of last year, but because he did relatively well for the last third , it's forgotten about.

This is his normal level for us, because he's played like this for at least two thirds of his Liverpool career. I can't imagine anyone but Rafa believes he is good enough, because he's proving week on week that he's miles away from being a Liverpool player.

I think he's played like this through his entire career. Even when he's scoring or getting assists his touch is awful. He's an honest, mentally tough and significantly limited player who'd be ideal for a place on the bench or a role as a specific tactical option against very attacking opposition.

I think circumstances and injuries hindered Mellor, however I do not think he would have ever made it at the hightest level.

Today we have Ngog who at present is not good enough but we have no one else. I see something in him but have doubts if he will fulfill it.

Unlike some he tries but is that what we have become a team of triers.

Oh as for Kuyt he is having one of those spells he tends to have and is he good enough, at times yes but at other times no.

I think he needs to be right on top of his game to be a starter and unfortunately he is often struggling for form.

Still like him, how can you not.

The Sunday Mirror also gave him the highest rating, so I am clearly not the only one who thought he played well.

He's back up and he's one of few positives this season.

N`Gog was piss poor on Saturday, lost the ball all the time and if I remember correctly had 1 or 2 attempts at goal at best, dont think he hit target with either of them.