You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

sir roger

IF we end up in the Europa League I hope we try to win it. Shows how spoilt we as supporters have become- not getting out of the CL group stage is not the end of the world. Not what we want, but remember the 90's when there was little European football on offer, crap performances and getting knocked out by minnows. Houllier gave us a UEFA cup win which was great, Rafa gave us 1 CL win, 1 final and regular qualification for the CL knockout stages, so now we're turning up our noses at the UEFA Cup? We don't have a divine right to trophies. I agree we should be trying to win trophies, but saying that if we don't win the CL of League the season is a failure is ridiculous. Too many spoilt fans with ludicrous expectations.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought not but somebody (presumably jokingly) mentioned it above.

It's ridiculous isn't it? UEFA moan about the concentration of wealth in the big clubs and giving smaller clubs a hand up when the answer is entirely in their hands.

Just take a chunk of money from the CL pot and put it into the Europa pot, put the winner into the CL group stages and the losing finalist and semi-finalists into the qualifying stages. Hey presto, you've got a meaningful second tournament everybody would want to do well in.

Stop talking sense. UEFA/FIFA can't handle too much sense at one time.

I thought not but somebody (presumably jokingly) mentioned it above.

It's ridiculous isn't it? UEFA moan about the concentration of wealth in the big clubs and giving smaller clubs a hand up when the answer is entirely in their hands.

Just take a chunk of money from the CL pot and put it into the Europa pot, put the winner into the CL group stages and the losing finalist and semi-finalists into the qualifying stages. Hey presto, you've got a meaningful second tournament everybody would want to do well in.

yep.

Uefa needed to keep its identity too. Keep it a straight knock out tournament, get rid of the shitty group layout. Give more money to the clubs particpating and i really liek the idea of giving the winner a place in the CL.

It still keeps it as their secondary competition but there is enough rewards there for teams to take it serious and put out full strength sides.

The Champions League has become the pinnacle tournament (wrongly imo), uefa need to think how to make the europa cup the 2nd most lucrative/important competition in europe.

• 3 weeks later...
What makes people think we will win the Europa league. We struggled to beat that lot tonight.

It is such an important competition even O'Neil fielded a weakened villa side in the semis.

Villa went out in the third round, and most of their fans blamed O'Neill playing that weakened team for fucking up their season.

I'm really fucked off after watching that tonight, but I'd love us to win the UEFA Cup now, as I'm sure would Torres, Pepe, Mascherano and a few others who haven't tasted success in Europe.

Villa went out in the third round, and most of their fans blamed O'Neill playing that weakened team for fucking up their season.

I'm really fucked off after watching that tonight, but I'd love us to win the UEFA Cup now, as I'm sure would Torres, Pepe, Mascherano and a few others who haven't tasted success in Europe.

I stand corrected.

I'll be wahing my hair on thursday nights. Isn't this shite on ESPN this year as well. I'm not paying for that.

Guest ShoePiss
ive got more important things to do on a thursday night

like use toilet duck on my shitter

fucking Europa league, who the fuck are we, everton?

This is both a measure of where we are now and also how spoiled our fans can be.

It's a European competition with some very good teams involved, I'd like to win it for the fourth time.

It's no where near the European Cup but what can we do? Well in your case clean the toilet!