You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

sir roger

Guest Dog Chaser

I'll take winning any cup. It will be a massive blow falling out of the Champions league in the group stages but winning the Europa league would slighlty soften the blow albeit not financially.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we're in it we should try to win it. I'd field a mix of first teamers, squaddies and youngsters to start with and strengthen the team as we progress.

A final in Hamburg would be a great day out and then we could go on to crush the CL winners in the Super Cup.

fair point,like the CL in 2005? funny how the trophy we completely fluked is the thing that rafa supporters cling too.we were also out played in fa cup final against West ham but everybody seems to forget that too

*shakes head*

I'd rather just go out of Europe all together and concentrate on getting fourth.

Agreed, but 4th will be a struggle.

I'm sick to my stomach of the situation were in.

C'ant believe there's a thread on the fuckin Europa league on here and that i'm postin on it............

All i keep thinkin about is Leeds and wot happened to them.

I will personally seek out the yanks and exterminate the fuckers.

If we did end up in the europa league final, there would still be a massive scramble for tickets from our supporters. So all this about it being a joke competition is bullshit. You'll get lads on here saying they won't watch it, couldn't give a fuck etc. but when it comes to a final they'll be the first to look for a ticket.

We may end up in the Europa league because our performances just havn't been good enough in the CL. Simple as.

If I had the choice between the europa league or the league cup I know which one I'd be picking. Our pedigree is based around our European history. What the fuck is so bad about adding another european trophy to our collection if it comes to that?

The state we are in at the moment I think we are back to a situation of rebuilding and developing.

I suppose that's true. Maybe playing in the UEFA might be a bit of a reality check.

As for keeping the trophy, according to wiki:

Before the competition was renamed the UEFA Europa League in the 2009–10 season, the UEFA regulations stated that a club could keep the original trophy upon their third consecutive win or fifth win overall.[6] However under the new regulations the trophy remains in UEFA's keeping at all times. A full-size replica trophy is awarded to each winner of the competition. Also a club that wins three consecutive times or five times overall will receive a 'special mark of recognition'.

So no, though I'm sure we got an extra special replica after the treble win in 2001 and not the standard one.

I dont wana be in it, and still hope by some miracle we wont, I'm gona to Debrecen so hope I get good news From Florence while there, but if we do end up in the Europa we should go to win it, we cant be picky and choosy Arsenal were there for the taken last week but we got all billy big bollox and were to good for this competition, I for 1 want a day out in Hamburg(Rather Madrid) next May.

Agreed, but 4th will be a struggle.

It wont be as everything around us is failing Villa last night been an example Spurs not a chance of them lasting the pace, and City especially in January when City lose players to the African Nations, We'll get 4th I guarntee you and the Yanks will be like pigs in shit as thats all they want.

It wont be as everything around us is failing Villa last night been an example Spurs not a chance of them lasting the pace, and City especially in January when City lose players to the African Nations, We'll get 4th I guarntee you and the Yanks will be like pigs in shit as thats all they want.

I don't buy the African nations cup argument. When has it ever affected any club?

You lose players for 3 weeks, and during that time clubs play in the FA cup, so it rarely affects anyone in the league all that much.

Chelsea won the league in 2006 despite the ANC being played, they came mightly close to winning the league and european cup in 2008 too. And Arsenal who might have lost a few players to it in 2004 (can't remember if Toure was missing then) didn't do too badly seeing as they won the league without losing a game!

We haven't been affected by it either with any of our African players.

fair point,like the CL in 2005? funny how the trophy we completely fluked is the thing that rafa supporters cling too.we were also out played in fa cup final against West ham but everybody seems to forget that too

We beat Monaco, Deportivo, Olympiakos, Leverkusen, Juventus & Chelsea all before Istanbul were they flukes?

The same with Luton, Portsmouth, Birmingham, UTD & Chelsea. Were the flukes as well?

No-sir-eee

I thought not but somebody (presumably jokingly) mentioned it above.

It's ridiculous isn't it? UEFA moan about the concentration of wealth in the big clubs and giving smaller clubs a hand up when the answer is entirely in their hands.

Just take a chunk of money from the CL pot and put it into the Europa pot, put the winner into the CL group stages and the losing finalist and semi-finalists into the qualifying stages. Hey presto, you've got a meaningful second tournament everybody would want to do well in.

I don't buy the African nations cup argument. When has it ever affected any club?

You lose players for 3 weeks, and during that time clubs play in the FA cup, so it rarely affects anyone in the league all that much.

Chelsea won the league in 2006 despite the ANC being played, they came mightly close to winning the league and european cup in 2008 too. And Arsenal who might have lost a few players to it in 2004 (can't remember if Toure was missing then) didn't do too badly seeing as they won the league without losing a game!

We haven't been affected by it either with any of our African players.

Closer to 6 weeks if your team gets to the Final, each Country can demand players to be released 2 weeks before tournament.

Chelsea 2005/2006 had the best start of any team ever in the premier league, 9 wins 1 draw in first 10 games, that was the main reason they had built up a big lead, they beat us 4-1 in Anfield on 1st of October, from that date onwards we won more points in the league than them that season.

It will be a bit of an anti-climax and a bigger hit financially considering that as we finished 2nd last year, we were on for a 30% share of the CL tv money, as opposed to our customary 15%.

On the upside it should be easier to get tickets, so if we're in it, let's win it, and knock the bitters out en route to the final.

There tends to be some decent sides in the latter stages of the competition, in our current state i wouldn't imagine we would necessarily progress in it.

the latter stages of last years competition were much much better games than in the CL.

If we were to fall into the Uefa Cup i hope we get Bayern Munich - fuck what competition its in - that'd be a proper European tie. And i doubt many wouldn't so called give a fuck about that