You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

sir roger

Whilst I know we are not mathematically out of the Champions League , it is looking pretty grim despite a decent performance tonight.

It as seems likely we are demoted to the Europa League what would you like our attitude to be ?

I have still not written off the league at this point( Rafa's 2 best league seasons coincided with our earliest CL eliminations ) & have no real appetite to play on Thurday nights in places where they still point at aeroplanes .

I would therefore try to get through the next stages of it by playing a Coca-Cola Cup type team.

If the league is totally blown in the new year & we can get to the latter stages of the Europa League then maybe start taking it more seriously.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Europa league goes on for bloody ages and has Pat Nevin as an expert pundit. A trophy may be a trophy, but I would rather be out of Europe altogether if I'm being completely honest.

Match of the Day 2 the other day had Mark Bright talking "football". I doubt Nevin would be as bad.

we've got fuck all chance of winning the league. therefore any trophy which we might have a chance fo winning we have to go al out for.

I disagree with that GC.

A lot of our present injuries don't seem long term & if we can scramble wins at home to Brum & City we would be about 6/7 points behind the leaders with this potential line up & loads of games to go.

Reina

Johnson , Carra , Agger , Aurelio

Masch Aquilani

Kuyt , Gerrard , Benny

Torres

The Europa league goes on for bloody ages and has Pat Nevin as an expert pundit. A trophy may be a trophy, but I would rather be out of Europe altogether if I'm being completely honest.

I see what you're saying and not playing in Europe means we can play our full strength in the FA Cup, but isn't that putting the eggs in one basket?

Shithouse competition. The old UEFA Cup has given us some fantastic memories and is a fantastic part of our history. This ridiculous format now though is a total joke. Teams dumped out of the Champions League end up in this secondary competition. What the fuck?

An absolute joke. I don't want to sound churlish or spoilt, but I'm not going to lie, I'd sooner get knocked out then end up in the "Europa" "League." A trophy is a trophy agreed, but this causes too much disruption to the league season, games being moved to a Sunday and all sorts of caper.

It would be interesting to see the reaction of the press if Benitez was to play the kids and reserves. As last year and the year before that Top class British managers like erm Moyes, O'Neill, 'Arry and Gary Megson played squad players and got knocked out and recieved no slack whatsoever. Rafa would be on a loser anyway if he played Torres and Gerrard and they got injured he would get slaughtered for not protcting them especially with England in the World Cup. Then if he played his kids he would get slaughtered for not taking it seriously.

play the kids etc, it's a total distraction

Distraction to what exactly?

I'd be gutted if we ended up in it, as it would mean we were incapable of getting past three lesser sides in the Champions League, but I would expect us to take any trophy seriously.