You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sportsdirect.com

Fowlers God

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | N | Newcastle | Newcastle reveal new stadium name

Mike ashley what a fucking cock bag.

Newcastle United have announced their stadium will be known as the sportsdirect.com @ St James' Park Stadium for the immediate future.

The news comes after an announcement from owner Mike Ashley that the stadium sponsorship rights were up for offer from prospective businesses.

Managing director Derek Llambias told BBC Newcastle: "We will showcase Sports Direct until the end of the season.

"I'm sure we're going to get a sponsor in for next season."

Ashley angered supporters of Newcastle United late last month when he announced the club's plans to rename the stadium for commercial purposes, having taken them off the market.

And Llambias admitted the club could have dealt with the announcement better, but is confident the plans are in the best interests of Newcastle United.

"We could have worded it better, and that's why we came out yesterday to explain what we're trying to achieve," he said.

"With the renaming it was always going to be whatever brand it was, at St James' Park. For the remainder of this season, we already have sportsdirect.com on the Gallowgate so we'd like to take that branding through the rest of the stadium."

He added: "The players are working very hard, they are positive and determined. They know this result is important for the club, for everyone.

"But our fans have not turned. They are clever people, they know the position the club was in when I arrived and they know what position it is in now, they know this is the only way.

"It is important for everyone to see the bigger picture, I am sure things will change in a few weeks when we have our players fit again. When we have our big players available, everything will change.

"Losing would be bad for us, bad for the club, but we will keep going. But we are not thinking that way, we are only thinking of winning." [/quoteIT]

Would anyone grumble if Anfield was named Coca Cola @ Anfield and we got £100m over 5 years allowing whoever the manager is an extra £20m a season to spend on players.

No-one (other then on advertising or on TV) would ever use the sponsors name and still call it Anfield.

Guest Dog Chaser

Naming rights for grounds give clubs considerable revenue. Even if we sold naming rights for our ground or even the new ground, whats to stop all of us still calling it Anfield.

I think we need to take a broader perspective on this.

For years people have been saying how far behind filth and the likes our income is. But even if anyone did re name Anfield (and I dont think it is on the cards and is only a consideration for the new ground should it ever get built), the fans would always call it Anfield.

We cant whinge about not having enough money if we aren't going to accept some things have to change with the times to maximise income.