You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard 'devasted' over Alonso

coop

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news...cle211181.html

Steven Gerrard was "devastated" when Xabi Alonso left Liverpool and admits the Reds have missed the Spaniard.

Liverpool captain Gerrard, who is currently injured and misses tonight's Champions League clash with Lyon, forged a good understanding with Alonso in midfield.

Alonso moved on to Real Madrid in the summer, since when Liverpool have struggled for form in the Premier League and Champions League.

It was a move which hit Gerrard hard.

"Devastated, yeah. Devastated. But there was nothing I could do about it," he told FourFourTwo magazine.

"Xabi said a long time ago that he wanted another chapter in his career and finally he got it and his team-mates and the coaches couldn't stand in his way. We just have to say thanks and move forward without him."

Liverpool recouped around £30million for 27-year-old Alonso, and spent most of that on bringing replacement Alberto Aquilani to Anfield from Roma.

Aquilani missed the first two months of the season due to injury and Liverpool have already lost seven matches.

Gerrard knew it would take Liverpool time to adapt to life without Alonso, who in a playmaker role had a vital duty in Rafael Benitez's team.

Gerrard said: "It's always going to be different when you lose one of the best players in the world - and people are finally realising that's what he is, on the back of his form for Real Madrid and the difference in us from last year.

"We've got other midfielders here doing a good job but it will take a while before Alonso's out of our system because he was such a top player."

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He makes himself sound dramatic there. Yes we have lost a great player, but Liverpool have always lost great players in the past and moved on. It should be no different in relation to Alonso. I have lost great people I worked with in the past to other companies etc, but I have never been devastated, or am I a cold hearted bastard?

Gerrard's PR agent who writes this guff for him (I presume, if it is 4-4-2, it is an interview set up by 1 of the companies which pays him to flog shit) is always so overdramatic.

He was "devasted" by Xabi's exit, but not of course devasted enough to give up his own summer raise which could have instead gone to the Basque & kept him here.

He was also, if i remember correctly, "desperate" to win the PL, but not of course desperate enough not to risk an injury in a meaningless England game.

I am not having a go at Gerrard here as he is perfectly entitled to that money (as was Xabi, it's just a pity we couldn't pay both) & he is clearly a little worried about losing a WCup place to an Ingerlund with Fwank & 2 holding midfielders (although i think he is miles better)

I do think he needs to get a less dramatic PR agency though....

Gerrard's PR agent who writes this guff for him (I presume, if it is 4-4-2, it is an interview set up by 1 of the companies which pays him to flog shit) is always so overdramatic.

He was "devasted" by Xabi's exit, but not of course devasted enough to give up his own summer raise which could have instead gone to the Basque & kept him here.

He was also, if i remember correctly, "desperate" to win the PL, but not of course desperate enough not to risk an injury in a meaningless England game.

I am not having a go at Gerrard here

Haha. Make sure you mention wages somewhere...oh right you have. Shocking.

Are you fucking serious?

What in the name of all fuck was the point in writing that load of noxious bilge?

"Hi Stevie, here's a new contract that reflects your status as one of the greatest players in the world. You deserve it"

"Great, cheers! Hang on, wait a sec.....does this mean that Xabi might not get a raise? You what? Really? I don't want it then. Give it to him"

Jesus fucking Christ, some of the shite I read on here is truly bewildering

Gerrard towing the party line saying Alonso wanted out?

He did. Xabi Alonso walked into Rafa's office and said that he won't continue at Anfield after how he was treated the previous summer.

I don't blame him a single jot. Rafa was fucking criminal shopping him around like a street whore when there was very little interest... as Xabi was coming off a poor season due to injury.

Xabi dictated our play for several seasons. Last season, was one of the best overall consistent performances of a central midfielder... ever.

Really? Ever? Just for Liverpool or are you taking into account the likes of Xavi etc.

He did. Xabi Alonso walked into Rafa's office and said that he won't continue at Anfield after how he was treated the previous summer.

I don't blame him a single jot. Rafa was fucking criminal shopping him around like a street whore when there was very little interest... as Xabi was coming off a poor season due to injury.

Yup, fucking criminal, who the fuck does he think he is eh, trying to sell of one of his players, I mean after all which manager has ever tried to flog off a player?

he was also "desperate" for gareth barry to sign.

And I'm sure he was chatting to Benitez about how Barry was up for a move, how good he is and how great mates they are, knowing Xabi was getting fucked off to fund it.

Aquilani is better than Alonso anyway. :whistle: