You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lyon vs. Liverpool 04/11/09

Herp McDerp

Okay maybe not you personally, but can you at least admit that had we done what you advocate and we'd still conceded the goal, people would be slagging that off sayng "why the fuck did he take a forward off?", "that was inviting them onto us", "shithouse negative tactics" etc etc?

It's so frigging predictable and tiresome, not to mention frustrating, unreasonable, goalpost moving and utterly childish behaviour.

Probably. Hell, I probably would as well... but to just go so fucking meekly like that has me fucking furious.

There is something that had to be done, and fuck sakes!

The most important match of our season is Fiorentina vs. Lyon. Pissflaps!

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know people are saying you cant blame Rafa for tonight but you are wrong.

He is the reason the team have lost games this season, he is the reason they have no confidence, he is the reason voronin is at the club, he is the reason that greek accident is at the club.

So for me when we win i applaud Rafa, when we dont its his fault.

Thats his job and thats the way it is for all managers.

Putting on Aquilani OR EVEN SPEARING was the first move that should have happened after we got the lead. We needed to be able to hold the ball. Do you agree that possession could have helped us there? Or are you denying this?

Instead, we just took Torres off. Hell, take him off for a bloody midfielder if necessary. Take off Benny AND Kuyt for Aquilani and Spearing.

We have the shittest defence since before Hyypia and Henchoz. It's SHOCKING... and keeping our midfield down to a pairing isn't the way to keep possession.

Torres only needs a half-chance to score, and maybe we get a counter attack with Babel and Torres running at Lyon. Maybe we win the game 2-0.

I know they are maybes but fuck me... what happened was just ridiculous! (I'm sure you'll agree with that last part at least)

some people moan for the sake of moaning.

fuck off and support the bluescum.

we played well tonite, deserved the win, nando is a shaddow of his fit self and clearly isn't fit.

if you want a reaction from some, you've got it.

people like you, who slag the manager off for the sake of it after tonites performance should take a real hard look at yourselves.

there, I've bitten.

I know people are saying you cant blame Rafa for tonight but you are wrong.

He is the reason the team have lost games this season, he is the reason they have no confidence, he is the reason voronin is at the club, he is the reason that greek accident is at the club.

So for me when we win i applaud Rafa, when we dont its his fault.

Thats his job and thats the way it is for all managers.

Ace support that is. Nice one.

Putting on Aquilani OR EVEN SPEARING was the first move that should have happened after we got the lead. We needed to be able to hold the ball. Do you agree that possession could have helped us there? Or are you denying this?

Instead, we just took Torres off. Hell, take him off for a bloody midfielder if necessary. Take off Benny AND Kuyt for Aquilani and Spearing.

We have the shittest defence since before Hyypia and Henchoz. It's SHOCKING... and keeping our midfield down to a pairing isn't the way to keep possession.

Torres only needs a half-chance to score, and maybe we get a counter attack with Babel and Torres running at Lyon. Maybe we win the game 2-0.

I know they are maybes but fuck me... what happened was just ridiculous! (I'm sure you'll agree with that last part at least)

If Aqualaini was fit then I would have taken Kuyt on and brought him off. But Spearing hasn'tr proven himself capable of coming into a stress situation and holding it.

And your sarcastic remark and my retort related to Torres. And no, Torres does not hold up the ball well, and would not stop Lyon launching the kitchen sink at us in the last couple of minutes, and that includes Cris getting forward. Teams take chances all the time in cup contests when they're behind with a couple of minutes left

You made a remark about Torres. It was sarcastic. It made no difference to our defending. You were called on it. And having been called on it you're now trying to change the original argument and widen it to midfield, where there is more agreement between us. But on the original point I do not believe Torres coming off made a difference to what happened.

My heart sank for Rafa tonight.

Not just because of the 10 odd pints I had today.

We played well. If we had won 3-0 today, no one would have complained.

When Babel scored that goal, I thought we were Ok. Concentration lapse at the back, one chance for them, Lopez took it.

Rafa man, nothing is going your way right now. Hold on, things may change. I hated you for what you did on Saturday but today, we did OK. We were not spectacular but neither was Lyon.

I'm sure we are out of CL for this season as I don't think Lyon will beat Fiorentina but I would absolutely fucking hate it if Rafa left Liverpool after a CL result. The man who gave so much to us in this competition. Fucking irony isn't?

I still remember the result against Madrid at Anfield and Barnabue. Rafa man, whatever happens to you, you can hold your head up high because you have been truly majestic in this competition.

Torres had one chance. Do we keep feeding him scraps and praying that he makes them count every time?

Is that the plan?

You've taken a risk by playing him when he's hurt. Have the balls to make it count. Otherwise what have we gained? He's going to be out for how long now? For what? One fucking point?

Have I said that? I believe I highlighted three players. But as Lance was making Torres the subject I concentrated some points on him. Three chances. For three strikers. All missed. It wasn't all at Torres door. And we do not feed him on scraps, hence his number of goals this season.

Decent performance, poor result, miserable night - all compounded by coming onto this thread and finding that bad aids hasn't taken the Rafa haters overnight. Bunch of whining fucking maggots.

To everyone else, keep the faith. Still a lot of football ahead.......and things WILL get better!

You made a remark about Torres. It was sarcastic. It made no difference to our defending. You were called on it. And having been called on it you're now trying to change the original argument and widen it to midfield, where there is more agreement between us. But on the original point I do not believe Torres coming off made a difference to what happened.

I made a sarcastic comment that Rafa Benitez' response to going up 1-0 is to immediately take off Torres.

I'm not angry that Torres came off at some point, but I'm fucking furious that we had an unused substitution in a match that has, essentially, ended our Champions League campaign.

Trying to make my sarcastic remark a literal tactical discussion is fucking retarded. It was a flippant comment... not a launching point for a tactical discussion.

You're too busy trying 'to call people' on things. You want a tactical discussion, and I'm putting a decent point across and you whinge about 'changing your argument'.

Jesus wept!

Can't believe Rafa's getting shit for taking off Torres, who was 60% fit at best and barely able to run. I've lost count of the number of times he's been slated for "negative" substitutions. So he brings on fresh legs in the attacking third to maintain a threat and put the opposition under pressure and still gets slagged off.

I guess it's just people venting their frustration without bothering (or wanting) to think first.

Be less conservative. We waited too long to take Voronin off. The game just drifted in the second half until Babel's goal.

If you're going to shut up shop in the 85th minute, then why on earth would you bring N'gog on, when you know they're going to be pressing for the equaliser?

You're playing your 3rd choice center back, your first choice is at Right back, you have a center back who's playing hurt, and a left back who's young and inexperienced, so if you're not looking for the second goal then why not sub in a defender instead of making a token like for like change?

And why the fuck aren't you pushing for the second goal in the first place? We played an obviously unfit Torres for practically the whole game. The least you can do is give him something to fucking work with. Where was Aquilani? Kuyt was awful, why did he play the 90? Why does he always play the 90?

The thing that makes me angry, is that Lyon were poor. It's no good saying we dominated the game, the fact is we didn't get the result we needed. And we could have if Benitez had been brave enough to be more aggressive.

I won't ever defend the selection of Voronin but i do think Rafa got it right tonight given the circumstances. I presume Aquilani wasn't fit enough to take part but a lack of concentration cost us.

I made a sarcastic comment that Rafa Benitez' response to going up 1-0 is to immediately take off Torres.

I'm not angry that Torres came off at some point, but I'm fucking furious that we had an unused substitution in a match that has, essentially, ended our Champions League campaign.

Trying to make my sarcastic remark a literal tactical discussion is fucking retarded. It was a flippant comment... not a launching point for a tactical discussion.

You're too busy trying 'to call people' on things. You want a tactical discussion, and I'm putting a decent point across and you whinge about 'changing your argument'.

Ok Lance. I really don't want to fall out, but if you make a sarcastic remark you must have expected some come back.

Guest davelfc
Can't believe Rafa's getting shit for taking off Torres, who was 60% fit at best and barely able to run. I've lost count of the number of times he's been slated for "negative" substitutions. So he brings on fresh legs in the attacking third to maintain a threat and put the opposition under pressure and still gets slagged off.

I guess it's just people venting their frustration without bothering (or wanting) to think first.

It doesn't help when that cunt Tyldsley mentions the body language of Torres as he goes off and then says "I'm no medical expert but 5 more minutes"

No Clive, you're not a medical expert, you're not a body language expert either. you're a massive bluenose cunt, prick, tool, wanker.

but I'm fucking furious that we had an unused substitution in a match that has, essentially, ended our Champions League campaign.

To be fair you are presuming that Rafa weren't looking at making another sub when they equalised.

Not saying he is but I wouldn't be overally shocked if he was.

We played very well tongiht and deserved to win

Individual errors cost us again

However the reality is were only in the FA Cup and it November 4, very soul destroying that is.

What today proved is we should finish in the top 4 and what a total waste of talent Babel is.

My Major criticism of Rafa tonight is why put Aquiliani on the bench if your not going to use him and of course his faith in Insua finally came back to ruin our season.

On a positive side how wonderful was Agger even made Greek boy look ok.

Get Aurellio back and we will have an ok season.

Very unlucky tonight, end of. Had enough chances to win 4-0. We didnt however. Great goal from Babel, should have been enough. Mix up in the defence and we concede, pure unlucky. Im not a Rafa fan by any way shape or form but the only thing he did wrong tonight was starting that shithouse ukranian cunt. Everything else he did right. Fair play to the man.

Im ridiculously despondent at the minute not because we were shite, but because we were robbed

Guest davelfc
Two fucking minutes injury time???

And that fucking lasagna's beard looks like a pig minge.

Yeah 2 minutes, to be fair before they scored he was going to say 5.

I noticed the multiball stopped in the second half too.