You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

......but who would replace Rafa?

fowler9

I have to admit there have been occasions when I have questioned rafa and some of them lingering doubts havent gone away. Im not one of these who thinks the sun shines out of his arse however..

it seems common sense to me that although the team are havin nothin short of a fuckin nightmare at the min sacking him would achieve nothing.

I cant think of any obvious top candidate wo would want to manage us in the current climate, with an expectation of winning the league when the americans are clearly unwilling to back us financially and are main rivals are only going to strengthen.

This was the obvious fuckin year for us to be backed in the market. None of our rivals improved over the summer and the leagues best team lost arguably the best player in the world or one of the top couple.

But unfortunately we were not backed and half our team are underperfoming at an alarming level.

We may aswell wait till the summer. If we fail to make the top 4 then he will be a gonna.

the big decisions will come if we scrape the top 4 an win nothing again

Theres no easy answers to it all imo and those who claim there is are burying their heads in the sand.

Those screaming for Rafa to be sacked are just knee jerking imo but there are certainly valid concerns with the way things are going - the best way forward imo is not to act hastily and for me that means leaving things a while longer. When Houllier went I think almost everyone (including probably the man himself) saw that he had come to the end of his time at our club and it all eneded with dignity. I do not think we are at that stage with Rafa yet. Looking back to when GH left my big worry tbh was that the powers that be would not have the bottle to make the necessary change especially as by a fluke we had got ourselves into the CL for the following season but fair play they did. I have an element of that now tbh as we are a loyal club but hopefully when we need to we will make a change but in November when we are fighting for CL survival and are one point behind 4th in the league is not the right time. Masybe next summer - we'll decide when we see how the season goes.

What i 100% do not accept which has been said in many places is that nobody would want to come to this club. The Liverpool job is massive and many many top figures in world football would want it I think - despite the yanks.

Theres no easy answers to it all imo and those who claim there is are burying their heads in the sand.

Those screaming for Rafa to be sacked are just knee jerking imo but there are certainly valid concerns with the way things are going - the best way forward imo is not to act hastily and for me that means leaving things a while longer. When Houllier went I think almost everyone (including probably the man himself) saw that he had come to the end of his time at our club and it all eneded with dignity. I do not think we are at that stage with Rafa yet. Looking back to when GH left my big worry tbh was that the powers that be would not have the bottle to make the necessary change especially as by a fluke we had got ourselves into the CL for the following season but fair play they did. I have an element of that now tbh as we are a loyal club but hopefully when we need to we will make a change but in November when we are fighting for CL survival and are one point behind 4th in the league is not the right time. Masybe next summer - we'll decide when we see how the season goes.

What i 100% do not accept which has been said in many places is that nobody would want to come to this club. The Liverpool job is massive and many many top figures in world football would want it I think - despite the yanks.

Brilliant post and probably sums up how most of us are feeling right now.

jurgen klinsmann said no, why would someone else come ?

Well I think you're rewriting history there - I do not think he did say No - who has ever said that the job was offered to him?

What happened as i understand it is that JK was talked to about his feelings about the job if Rafa did go - and that was as far as it got and i think during that chat he had some interest in it but cos someone was in the job anyway thats all it could be - a chat. A very inappropriate one but a chat.

Of course then when he heard about it (as it was done behind his back) Rafa not unreasonably took exception to this when his bosses were talking to someone about his job while he was still trying to do it.

Agree with point and comparison with GH. By the summer of 2004, the team had been in steady decline for almost 2 years and it was clear to all that it was time for him to go. Whatever doubts there are about Benitez, we are surely not at that point just yet.

I also don't agree that nobody would want to come to the club - there are many many managers out there who would jump at the chance. The problem is that hardly any of them are, at the current time, a clear and obvious improvement on the current manager. They would represent a huge risk.

Those that have a record to suggest that they might be up to the job, however, are a much smaller pool and, I think, in our current state, would be very hard to tempt into the post. Plus I don't trust anybody in our hierarchy to make a decent decision about the relative strengths of managerial candidates. Their track record strongly suggests that they would fuck it up, much like everything else they have fucked up at the club.