You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best Game At Anfield You've Attended ?

The Celtic Way

I missed the 05 semi because I was at a wedding in Ireland, thats one of my biggest regrets missing that and also regret missing Roma in 2001 but that was because the club fucked up and sent us 1 ticket when we asked for 2, and by the time they'd sent it and we rang to tell them the mistake they'd sold out, was fuming about that for ages

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The night of nights - St Etienne 17th March 1977

Liverpool 3 - 1 St Etienne (Aggregate 3-2)

Chelsea in 2005 was special but I've never heard noise in my life like the Kop made when Fairclough scored with 4 minutes to go. 56,000 in Anfield officially but I know of at least one gate on the Kop that went down before kick off and there were rumours that a bus had been backed onto the old Kop wall on Walton Breck Rd and people were climbing out the emergency exit upstairs and dropping off the wall into the Kop bogs.

Yep. My head nearly exploded that night. At a guess, I'd say possibly 60,000 were in.

Auxere in 1991. Only about 22,000 there that night. Great atmosphere despite the lack of interest and resultant empty seats. 3-0 win to get through 3-2.

Arsenal CL game winning 4-2. As good an atmosphere as any game bar the 2005 semi and our most exciting CL game outside of the final in 2005.

Interesting that nearly every game mentioned has been an evening kick off. It certainly makes a difference.

Aside from the obvious that have already been mentioned, one of the most memorable games I've been to at Anfield was a game against Wimbledon the year the kop was getting rebuilt 94 ish.

only the first few rows of the kop had been put in and obviously there was no roof (ace coz they had proper hot dog vans in lieu of the snack bar counters).

the game was pretty naff but soon into the game the heavens opened and it pissed down like I've never seen before. it was that bad that the ball kept getting stuck on the pitch when players were thinking it was going out for a throw in/goal kick etc.

the kop was electric though, only a couple of thousand on there, soaked to the bone but everyone was bouncing and singing and i swear it felt louder than the full kop in swing at times.

no other bugger seems to remember it though

fucking hell there are so many to choose from, even though i've only being a regular match goer since 2000 ish.

Chelsea semi was definately the best from an atmosphere point of view and the sheer joy of the result. I've never felt any emotion as strongly as i did that evening. Quite incredible.

There are 2 others from that season that also spring to mind. The Olympiakos game where the spirit shone through, a winner of that quality so late in the game is always memorable, but it paled into nothing comapred with the Juve game that came after. that performance was one of the best i've seen against a side that i held up with such high esteem. The Luis goal made me feel physically sick with enjoyment.

In addition to that, the Everton league game from that season, where it felt that getting 4th place might actually happen and the performance was fantastic.

the kop was electric though, only a couple of thousand on there, soaked to the bone but everyone was bouncing and singing and i swear it felt louder than the full kop in swing at times.

no other bugger seems to remember it though

I remember that one, 3-0 win in 94/95 season.

"All we are singing.... is give us a roof"

There were some really good moments in that season actually, seem to remember we had the exact same starting 11 and subs in almost every game, totally unheard of now.

James, Jones, Scales, Ruddock, Babb, Bjornebye, Redknapp, Barnes, McManaman, Fowler, Rush.

I might get slated for this but the home game that we lost (yea I know, lost) against Barcelona in 07 for me was probably one of the best atmospheres I've heard at Anfield. Maybe it was cos I had a fair few brews on board, but the whole place was bouncing.

Very nervy though after that cunt Gudjohnsen banged one in.

The second CL semi V Chelsea, Agger scoring to equalise on aggregate and beating them on pens the whole game was on a knife edge as a goal for them would have left us needing two more.

The 4-0 v Madrid last season was also special, I went over with my brother and it was his first CL game, but we were pretty safe that day as soon as the second goal went in, the drama and tension of the Chelsea game puts that in first place for me.

A few others not yet mentioned:

Liverpool 3 - 1 Man Utd - Feb 1978. Graeme Souness volley -goal of the season - and the Annie Road Darts Team in spectacular form.

Liverpool 4 - 0 (?) QPR -1987/88 - Digger announces himself as a Liverpool legend in only his 5th (?) game with a brace at the Kop end. We knew we had the League sewn up in October

Liverpool 2 - 0 Man U 1991/92 (Rush & Walters) - The title's off to Leeds but always look on the bright side of life.

Liverpool 2 - 1 Arsenal 2004/05. A special from Xabi and Neil Mellor's late late show.