You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Windows 7

cochcaer

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It's certainly an improvement over Vista. It's not a great operating system but Windows are catching up in terms of features (with platforms like Linux and Mac), even if they are sometimes crudely implemented. A better effort from those at redmond, I have to say.

I've been running Win 7 RC which until recently was a free download/licence key from Microsoft. The licence expires on March 1st next year, so plenty of time to get a proper version. Anyway, so far I'm quite impressed. Shitloads better than Vista.

Any studenty types of you out there can get it for £30 from Microsoft themselves.

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/

Sweet!

I've had a fully genuine copy of 7 Home Premium for about a week now. Not fully looked at it properly yet. Runs a bit better than what Vista did but for now i can't see what all the fuss is about.

Seems to me its similar upgrade from Win 2000 to Win XP.

Everything seems to work the same its just been tweaked & improved here and there.

I've had a fully genuine copy of 7 Home Premium for about a week now. Not fully looked at it properly yet. Runs a bit better than what Vista did but for now i can't see what all the fuss is about.

Seems to me its similar upgrade from Win 2000 to Win XP.

Everything seems to work the same its just been tweaked & improved here and there.

Home Premiumk would be that reason. Ultimate is where it's at.

I got hold of a cheap new Samsung N120 netbook, which has XP on it.

Also got hold of the full version of Windows 7 from Tesco's for £45. Can I install this on the netbook or shall I just leave the XP already on there?

Gonna put Windows 7 on mine and the missus' lappys and will report back.

Which 7 is it because i tried all and are crap compared unless you got ultimate.

Anybody been out a bought it? Any comments or Vista-style driver woes?

Been using the final release for a few weeks courtesy of one of Microsoft's membership schemes:

* 32bit running on a Core2 Duo 2.13ghz and 3gb RAM

* 64bit Professional running on a Q6600 quad core with 6gb RAM

* 64bit Ultimate running on an Core i7 920 with 6gb RAM

No issues with 32bit.

64bit:

Same as Vista 64bit pretty much.

No issues with running software apart from Adobe CS3 not liking 64 bit until you update Acrobat Professional.

Occasional driver issues reported - mainly seems to be HP - who a are an utter bunch of cunts at times. I can't get the specific drivers for my LJ2840 Colour Printer/Copier/SCanner/Fax which is networked. So I'm running the Universal Postrscript Driver for printing and have to go via USB to use scanning. For faxing, I just use my 32bit XP Pro laptop - or fax manually from the printer's own physical control panel.

My Wacom Intuos3 graphics tablet runs happily as does all my other bits and pieces.

All in all, it's been pretty painless - same as Vista in terms of getting things up and running, i.e. only difficulties are from HP on a fairlymodern bit of kit.

I'd say, go for it.

Which 7 is it because i tried all and are crap compared unless you got ultimate.

Professional and Ultimate are almost the same.

Home only has certain business related like joining domains, and backup features missing. Since the vaaaaaaassst majority home users don't back up anyway, or even know what backups are.

The only difference between Professional and Ultimate is that Ultimate also has bitlocker and you can use 35 languages.

99.999999 don't even know what BitLocker is, and most people can't speak 2 languages.

So why are the other ones crap?

Guest ShoePiss
Professional and Ultimate are almost the same.

Home only has certain business related like joining domains, and backup features missing. Since the vaaaaaaassst majority home users don't back up anyway, or even know what backups are.

The only difference between Professional and Ultimate is that Ultimate also has bitlocker and you can use 35 languages.

99.999999 don't even know what BitLocker is, and most people can't speak 2 languages.

So why are the other ones crap?

See below

Ignore Simon he doesn't know his ass from his elbow, not all other versions are "crap" but obviously they aren't going to be as good as the Ultimate version seeing as you're paying more, or in Simon's case, downloading a bigger file.

Gonna get a netbook with it on in the next week or two

What's the starter version? The netbook is basically only for surfing so doesn't need to be able to do much.

Start Edition will come pre-loaded on some netbooks. You can't buy it on it on its own.

The most basic version you can buy is Home Premium Edition. the OEM/OEI version which means you get no Microsoft support (hardly worth it) is about £85.

The full/retail version is about £115.

PM me if you have any other questions.

One of my suppliers is listing about £7 between Win 7 Premium Retail and OEM, but they're a few quid more expensive than another of my suppliers who are listing 7 Prem OEM for around £60ish before VAT.

As above, if you can beg/borrow/steal a student email account, the Microsoft student offer for £30 is well worth it. I done one before for a customer of mine who has an Open University email account. Went through in 5 mins, £30 and an emailed licence key and link for a direct download of the 7 DVD image. If you also want a proper install disk sent through the post it costs an extra 9 quid. Well worth it though.

I've been running Ultimate for the last three days. I did a clean install (not an upgrade) having previously avoided Vista like the plague. I think it's a marked improvement over XP.

I like the little tweaky things like Winkey+Left arrow and Winkey+Right arrow for putting windows side-by-side and I lurve the shake the window to minimise other windows. OK they're hardly earth-shattering but they make me smile.

Startup and shutdown are infinitely improved.

I love the integration with Microsoft Security Essentials as I no longer need the increasingly bloaty and naggy AVG installed.

When I started it up the other day whilst one of my laptops was on, it was instantly found and connected without any of the usual hassle of sharing rights and restrictions. Remote Desktop is working perfectly between home and the office.

I'm really looking forward to the forthcoming Sky Player integration with WMC.

I still use VLC and Firefox.

And how ace is the Virtual XP? Seriously cool.

Only downside I found was a driver issue with a TI 1394 OHCI Host Controller, but that seems to have resolved itself.