You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

John Barnes declared bankrupt?

Paul

Loads of kids Brownie, with different women. All costs dough these days.

As for being on 10k, I think you'd be suprised.

Barnes and Rush carried on with Newcastle/Charlton in Digger's case and Newcastle/Leeds in Rushie's and it wasnt to do with carrying on it was about having to play on to make money.

They missed the boat when it came to mega bucks.

Guest ShoePiss
Loads of kids Brownie, with different women. All costs dough these days.

As for being on 10k, I think you'd be suprised.

Barnes and Rush carried on with Newcastle/Charlton in Digger's case and Newcastle/Leeds in Rushie's and it wasnt to do with carrying on it was about having to play on to make money.

They missed the boat when it came to mega bucks.

why?

I believe JB was on circa £10k a week in 1989 so what 1/2 mill a year. Surely just down to bad money management. My old fella wasn't on 1/2mill a year in 1989 and he isn't bankrupt. At the time he had 2 teenagers and a wife to support.

Just waiting for the next line of this. Once the tap is turned off I bet the spending still happens at the same rate. Got to be some prime candidates in this generation of "thick as shit players"

He was on a very good wage at Liverpool, it's sad but hard to understand.

Is the reality of the situation

he was on about 500k a year which isnt a lot now but it was back then

He should have looked after his affairs better and lived within his means.

Unlike most of us he had the income to be able to do that.

I think the point of the thread is that its sad that a great player like JB is bankrupt when average like Robbie Savage, El Hadji Diouf, are made for life, i dont think Paul was saying to feel sorry for him

As for Savage he has looked after his affairs much better off the pitch and he's got a cracking House I remeber seeing on Sky once. As for Diouf he still has time to lose it but when you havent had money like him and Essien when you get it you make sure you never go back from where you came from.

He might just be taking the quick way out of it; I know three lads who knew it was coming and are far better off for it.

One of them owed £77k, planted or "sold" most of the stuff; clothes, cars, household and general goods and paid little back after going to court and sayingf he didn't have it.

Flying again now, just can't have credit, a mortgage or contract phones, Direct Debits etc for a few years.

Regardless of whether people feel sympathy or not, surely we can all agree that the way this throws into relief the wages some absolutely cackers get these days is disgusting. Utter carthorses earning many, many times what a genius and legend did. Fucked up.

Former England footballer John Barnes has succeeded in having a bankruptcy order overturned.

His solicitor said: "It was widely reported last week that HM Revenue and Customs had a bankruptcy order against John Barnes.

"My client is delighted to announce that the order has now been overturned by the High Court. John Barnes was not and is not insolvent."

Barnes, 45, of Heswall, Wirral, was England's highest paid player when he joined Liverpool in 1987. Earlier this month he was sacked as Tranmere manager.

He managed to digger himself out of that hole.

Up all night thinking that one mate.

Yeah ya gotta question what the fuck he's done with the money he's earned. Even up until he got sacked recently he still would've had money come in.

Agree with whats been said. Hate to see fantastic ex players getting into this state, having to sell medals and the like to get outta trouble. But ya can't help feeling sorry for them if they've tried to be flash bastards and pissed up against a brazzers leg. He'll get a job as manager of Qatar or some other fuckwit nation and he'll be back outta trouble.

JB got divorced a few years back to Suzie Barnes and presumably this was quite expensive based on the fact they had kids and he was probably well off at the time.

Now has a younger model. JB seems a nice bloke, not up himself unlike some other ex LFC/MAN UTD/WEST HAM player who lives close by too......