You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gigs I have been to recently thread

Thants

Thanks for sharing gents, wandered what their gig would be like.

I miss live music so much, a Turk on guitar singing what seems to be the same whether it's fast or slow doesn't really cut it.

Last gigs I saw was the Killers, brilliant and Deacon Blue, never let you down. Both at the arena.

• Upvote 1

Sar Bar Stool Preachers st Brudenell Social Club in Leeds last Friday night. First indoor gig I’ve been too since the pandemic started and couldn’t have asked for a better band to be playing it. They are always so very consistently good, joust beltimg out great tracks on after the next.

played I think 3 new songs in the middle do the set and they were pretty good too. 

ended up shitfaced and woke with a banging head Saturday morning but hid it was worth it.

• 10 months later...

Ty Segall & The Freedom Band with Meatbodies as support outside on Zandvoort beach. Both bands were great but venues with tokens for beer and paid toilets can fuck right off. It wasn't a free festival it was a paid gig. Cunt of a place to get to as well. Can't be relying on one bus from Haarlem really. 

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

The Interrupters supported extremely ably by The Skints, at Leeds O2

If you don't think The Interrupters are the best currently recording and touring band on the planet you're wrong.

20220824_203455.jpg

20220824_203953.jpg

20220824_215406.jpg

20220824_220305.jpg

20220824_222033.jpg

From late august? I was meant to be at that but was struck down and couldn’t make it.

also Bar Stool Preachers who are just brilliant live. Best front man on the scene at the minute for me.

Meanwhile, Aimee Interrupter is just wonderful. Really, really wonderful 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

The Interrupters supported extremely ably by The Skints, at Leeds O2

If you don't think The Interrupters are the best currently recording and touring band on the planet you're wrong.

20220824_203455.jpg

20220824_203953.jpg

20220824_215406.jpg

20220824_220305.jpg

20220824_222033.jpg

You big gig photo-gig div, Lurtz. If you'd been stood in front of me I'd have been seething inside whilst doing absolutely fuck all about it.

Thoughts on the O2 in Leeds? It's the worst mid-size gig venue around in my opinion, badly run and such poor sound.

On 05/10/2021 at 07:37, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Sar Bar Stool Preachers st Brudenell Social Club in Leeds last Friday night. First indoor gig I’ve been too since the pandemic started and couldn’t have asked for a better band to be playing it. They are always so very consistently good, joust beltimg out great tracks on after the next.

played I think 3 new songs in the middle do the set and they were pretty good too. 

ended up shitfaced and woke with a banging head Saturday morning but hid it was worth it.

Brudenell is a great venue. I saw Hugh Cornwell there with his band pre covid a great night. I will see more gigs there soon definitely 

4 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Can’t be doing with these photos at gigs. And a couple of people who are old enough to know better as well. Very disappointing.

2 hours ago, Karl_b said:

You big gig photo-gig div, Lurtz. If you'd been stood in front of me I'd have been seething inside whilst doing absolutely fuck all about it.

Thoughts on the O2 in Leeds? It's the worst mid-size gig venue around in my opinion, badly run and such poor sound.

I grab a couple of quick snaps for posterity then the phone goes back in my pocket for the rest of the set. I'm not a video cunt. I'm cat-like, smooth. Very professional. 

As for the venue, only time I really had a problem was Paul Heaton a few years back. It was rammed right to the back where the bar is. Not pleasant at all, and some proper bad dickheads there too. Other than the overpriced beer it's not too bad but it's no Brudenell. Incidentally if anyone knows of a spare going for The Chameleons at Brudenell in December I'll happily offer any sexual favours or murder someone of your choice in exchange. 

@Bob Spunkmouse Aimee Interrupter held my hand for about 3 seconds when they played Leeds Uni about 3 years ago. My wanking hand too. I think she secretly knew that. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, redinblack said:

All O2Academy are shite big cowsheds with shit acoustics

Other than the Apollo in Manchester, which is great. Up there with the Brudenell, Leadmill and Rock City as my favourite venues.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

I grab a couple of quick snaps for posterity then the phone goes back in my pocket for the rest of the set. I'm not a video cunt. I'm cat-like, smooth. Very professional. 

As for the venue, only time I really had a problem was Paul Heaton a few years back. It was rammed right to the back where the bar is. Not pleasant at all, and some proper bad dickheads there too. Other than the overpriced beer it's not too bad but it's no Brudenell. Incidentally if anyone knows of a spare going for The Chameleons at Brudenell in December I'll happily offer any sexual favours or murder someone of your choice in exchange. 

@Bob Spunkmouse Aimee Interrupter held my hand for about 3 seconds when they played Leeds Uni about 3 years ago. My wanking hand too. I think she secretly knew that. 

I actually had you down as going full rage mode at gig video wankers, so I'm reassured. 

Secretly knew it was your wanking hand...yeah sure....

• 2 months later...

Early Crimbo pressie off the missus, tickets to see Cast last night at the O2 Academy in town. Predictably boss. Still for me one of the most underrated bands around. Every song an absolute belter. Very proud to have got "Fuck the Tories going" during one of John Powers mid song rants.(yeah I know, Turdseye as fuck) 

Had 3 older fellas next to me, clearly beak dealers from over the water absolute meat-heads one knocked into me while I was about to put my arm round my bird and half my pint poured down the side of her hair. The three of them couldn't have been nicer, offering us bevvies lines all sorts. kept saying nah don't worry about it, had to fuck them off and move after a bit because I thought one of them was gonna start crying. 

Her maa dropped us off round the back of limey to go to Ma Egertons for a few first but we wandered over to the xmas market for a mulled wine and a nose. The fucking prices over there are pathetic. Popped into the Wetherspoons then Ma Egertons before the gig. Ended up in one of them Irish bars opposite central station afterwards chatting absolute shite with some Irish couple who were blatantly in the middle of a serious relationship crisis. Birds being birds them two became best mates putting the world to rights and slagging men off, just stopped short of scissoring at the table. Me and the fella (wasn't a footy fan) just sat there the odd glance and nod then trying not to get caught limping any of the fanny that had awkwardly decided the our table was the place to be and massed around the next table. Again I had to whisper "Lets bail" once enough was enough. 

Cast man, fucking love that band. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Early Crimbo pressie off the missus, tickets to see Cast last night at the O2 Academy in town. Predictably boss. Still for me one of the most underrated bands around. Every song an absolute belter. Very proud to have got "Fuck the Tories going" during one of John Powers mid song rants.(yeah I know, Turdseye as fuck) 

Had 3 older fellas next to me, clearly beak dealers from over the water absolute meat-heads one knocked into me while I was about to put my arm round my bird and half my pint poured down the side of her hair. The three of them couldn't have been nicer, offering us bevvies lines all sorts. kept saying nah don't worry about it, had to fuck them off and move after a bit because I thought one of them was gonna start crying. 

Her maa dropped us off round the back of limey to go to Ma Egertons for a few first but we wandered over to the xmas market for a mulled wine and a nose. The fucking prices over there are pathetic. Popped into the Wetherspoons then Ma Egertons before the gig. Ended up in one of them Irish bars opposite central station afterwards chatting absolute shite with some Irish couple who were blatantly in the middle of a serious relationship crisis. Birds being birds them two became best mates putting the world to rights and slagging men off, just stopped short of scissoring at the table. Me and the fella (wasn't a footy fan) just sat there the odd glance and nod then trying not to get caught limping any of the fanny that had awkwardly decided the our table was the place to be and massed around the next table. Again I had to whisper "Lets bail" once enough was enough. 

Cast man, fucking love that band. 

John Power is doing an intimate solo gig in the church by ours in the new year. March, I think. I like Cast but not a massive fan. Got tickets for this though. It should be cool and it’s a fundraiser for repairs to the church too. They had Home Alone on big screens last week. Took my nieces and nephew. It was cool. Apart from an over excited, sugar filled child covering the pews a few rows ahead of us with the largest amount of vomit I’ve ever seen. 

Just now, Nelly-Matip said:

John Power is doing an intimate solo gig in the church by ours in the new year. March, I think. I like Cast but not a massive fan. Got tickets for this though. It should be cool and it’s a fundraiser for repairs to the church too. They had Home Alone on big screens last week. Took my nieces and nephew. It was cool. Apart from an over excited, sugar filled child covering the pews a few rows ahead of us with the largest amount of vomit I’ve ever seen. 

Yeah I've seen them gigs advertised. My missus did some work for her mate who runs The Guide at LIMF a few years back and had to get the artists into places for interviews etc. Said John Power brought his mum and was just dead sound happy to do whatever. I've met him a couple of times he's one of the soundest bastards you'll ever be in the presence of. Then you've got me smashed telling him what a legend he is trying to shove my thumb up his arse. 

On 01/10/2022 at 19:51, Karl_b said:

Other than the Apollo in Manchester, which is great. Up there with the Brudenell, Leadmill and Rock City as my favourite venues.

they’ve got a couple like that, that feel like real gig venues just happened to run as o2 academy’s. I think it’s City Hall in Newcastle that’s much the same. Same look and feel as Apollo manchester