You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gigs I have been to recently thread

Thants

Kasabian at The Echo Arena last night.

Really enjoyed it, the band were great and loved Liverpool saying it was their favourite city apart from Leicester (from where they hail for the uninitiated). Sound was a bit crap for the first tune though and something weird happened in the middle of Fire. Played everything I wanted to hear though and the finale LSF was quality with half the crowd still singing it on the way out. - 8 out of 10.

The crowd were absolutely bouncing for a Monday night though, really impressive stuff which seemed to blow the band away (Tom said how fantastic they were for a Monday night gig) and despite recent stuff I've read on here and elsewhere, there were no signs of trouble (big queues for the cubicles in the bogs for some reason though). - 10 out of 10.

Has he still got that annoying warbly voice?

It was the first time I had ever heard them properly, but yes he did have a warbly and annoying voice. They were that bad we left before the end, thus not attending the aftershow party we were given tickets for.

I didnt attend a free party in their honour. That's how bad they were.

It was the first time I had ever heard them properly, but yes he did have a warbly and annoying voice. They were that bad we left before the end, thus not attending the aftershow party we were given tickets for.

I didnt attend a free party in their honour. That's how bad they were.

That's bad.

The Specials at the Olympia

Fantastic set in a proper old fashioned frayed around the edges slightly sleazy concert hall. The band were on good from, Terry Hall was very unhappy about Uniteds gutless performance at Anfield, he dedicated "Do Nothing" to Michael Owen and renamed "it doesnt make it all right" to "Nick Griffin is a fat, racist, one-eyed, holoucaust denying cunt"

They blasted through all the old favourites, Rat Race, Ghost Town, Too much too young, message to you rudi, Gangsters etc. Man at C&A was a particular highlight and the only slight disappointment was they didnt play the skinhead moonstomp.

Loads of arl arses bouncing around for an hour and a half, walls driping by the end of the night. Loved it, best £35 I've spent in ages.

sadly under-used venue the olympia, miles more atmospheric than the aircraft hanger on the docks.

Went to see them in Belfast last night. Top gig.

• 2 weeks later...

Gig of the year tonight: Even better than the Walkmen in February

The Antlers - Hope, Brighton.

Stu, get onto these if you already havent. Fucking stunning pieces of music, I never thought the live set would bring the emotions of the album. It did and some.

Jetpacks 13th November

Fucking great performance again. If I hadnt seen them in ICA earlier in the year I'd say it was the best I've seen them

Last few I have been to:

Wildhearts, Stoke Sugarmill - Good as usual but not the energy they had on stage a few years back when I last saw them.

Hadouken, Preston - Fun gig, was a bit full of kids but a good laugh all the same.

Cribs, Manchester - Decent but was put off by long queues at the Apollo and an audience ironically full of scenesters.

Idlewild, Manchester - still awesome, still different every time, still turned up after a tour bus breakdown!

Bloc Party, Leeds - Badly let down by sound issues and kept breaking the set up but good none the less, just maybe not as good as I expected.

Passion Pit, Manchester - Surprisingly good actually, really enjoyed the set up to the point that the keyboard player got in a piss when someone threw a drink in his vintage keyboard.

Green Day, Manchester - Real let down, they seem to have become some kind of stage act with coreographed guests from the audience on stage. Atmosphere in the crowd was shit too.

Biffy Clyro, Manchester - Awesome, everything was good, the set, the crowd even the queue at the bar was bearable!

• 1 month later...

Spiritualized and Horrors in the week before Christmas. Couldn't be more different.

Spiritualized blew me away and Horrors were awful until they played their early stuff in the encore. It was like they were purposely separating the albums and they thoroughly enjoyed the encore while they're recent stuff was rigid and dull live. Jeff Barlow produced it too well.

This year I have Delphic and Mirrors (which is why I bought the tickets although Delphic are the ones getting the hype at the moment).

Check out

MIRRORS on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

OMDtastic - nice bunch of lads too

Also Fanfarlo are returning to Brighton for the 3rd time in a year. Woot.

And I'm lining up tickets for The Joy Formidable. They're just fun live (and sexy).

Spiritualized and Horrors in the week before Christmas. Couldn't be more different.

Spiritualized blew me away and Horrors were awful until they played their early stuff in the encore. It was like they were purposely separating the albums and they thoroughly enjoyed the encore while they're recent stuff was rigid and dull live. Jeff Barlow produced it too well.

This year I have Delphic and Mirrors (which is why I bought the tickets although Delphic are the ones getting the hype at the moment).

Check out

MIRRORS on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

OMDtastic - nice bunch of lads too

Also Fanfarlo are returning to Brighton for the 3rd time in a year. Woot.

And I'm lining up tickets for The Joy Formidable. They're just fun live (and sexy).

Seen this?

Used to work at Hampden so in the summer saw...

Take That for 3 nights - I actually enjoyed it. They put on a really good set and there were over 150,000 really drunk women. Also the Saturday were on before them on their 1st night.

ACDC & The Subways- Amazing

The Eagles - I like some of their music but it was a shit gig and only sold 30,000 tickets so there was fuck all atmosphere.

Bruce Springsteen - Again amazing, and a set that lasted about 3 hours

U2 - Not a big fan of them but worthwhile seeing their stage and show

Coldplay & Jay Z - Was not looking forward to this one but the atmosphere that night was great.

Recently saw Massive Attack in Bratislava which was good but not great

Woooh I heard about this. Whereas it may be interesting to hear it I'm not sure it's £125 worth of interest. Especially as I forked out about the same amount to see it performed twice live this year! I'll get my contacts sniffing about to see what they can get it for. Much like the Stone Roses repackage I struggle with the point of it all.

My gig going is one thing I've got to really cut back on this year in order to save money for cars/houses/holidays/etc. I only have JoFo in a few weeks to look forward to and I'll be at Truck in the summer. Otherwise I'll only be going to the odd cheap one in Sheffield or those that really grab me, for example if the rumours of Bright Eyes and Arcade Fire touring later in the year are true.

• 2 weeks later...

Delphic/ Mirrors - Brighton Audio

Mirrors were even better than I hoped. Last year they were all using laptops, this year they've turned into a live band. They were fucking ace.

Delphic weren't as bad as I expected but I did still leave halfway through the set.

OK Go at the Lomax. (It's still the Lomax, fuckers.)

I'd only heard a couple of the singles, but the missus wanted to go - enjoyed it very much. Good interaction with the crowd, and they did one acoustic song on hand bells. 8 dings out of 10 dongs.

OK Go at the Lomax. (It's still the Lomax, fuckers.)

I'd only heard a couple of the singles, but the missus wanted to go - enjoyed it very much. Good interaction with the crowd, and they did one acoustic song on hand bells. 8 dings out of 10 dongs.

Were the Wave Machines supporting, Prof?

P.S Your CD is getting done . . .

Were the Wave Machines supporting, Prof?

P.S Your CD is getting done . . .

Cheers!

They were a local band, I think. Very young and didn't seem to know what they wanted to be. Can't remember what they were called - nothing on the venue or OK Go websites.

Totally forgot to write about the gigs i've been the last few months so here goes...

The Wedding Present- great gig, played a load of new stuff which i wasn't familiar with but really enjoyed it.

The Specials- Another great gig, done two encores which they haven't been doing on the tour. I was probably one of the youngest there at 32 but they place went mental and the atmosphere was great. My wife went into the toilet at one stage and some oul fella about 60 burst in and got sick all over the Womens toilet, ah the good old days.

RSAG- Highly recommend this fella. He plays, records and videos playing each instrument individually so when he plays live he plays the drums and sings but behind him he has a screen which shows him playing his instruments so it looks like a whole band playing. Hard to describe so here's a little youtube clip....

[YOUTUBE]KTHC5IGffGQ[/YOUTUBE]