You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gigs I have been to recently thread

Thants

. . a bit like the film thread apart from you lot getting off your fat arses from downloading and going out. Hehe.

So who have you seen recently?

7/10/09 - First Aid Kit/ Fanfarlo - Hanbury Ballroom Brighton

First Aid Kit - whiny set from 2 whiny 18 year olds. Sorry, not my thing.

Fanfarlo - Wonderful set from the annoying multi - talented London bunch. My gad that girl is so young and so cute. 9 tight jeans out of 10

13/10/09 - Spiritualized - Royal Festival Hall 9.5 Lazer guided melodies out of 10

18/10/09 - This Will Destroy You - Audio Brighton 9 bleeding ears out of 10

An interesting evening of instrumental music started off with some post punk Chilli-esque loud boring as fuck support band. Not my thing but the front combed part shaved heads seemed to enjoy it. It helped me have a shit anyway.

Then came the beards. 4 of them to be precise. And my god did my ears get it. A brilliant wall of noise set from the US drones. All I could do was to shut my eyes and see where the music took me (which was probably annoying to others as I was at the front).

19/10/09 - Local band night at the Greenhouse effect -various scores

The first girl played a guitar a wierd way. It was interesting for a song but then got a little tireing. By the time she was playing a cover of Toto's Africa the crowd had had enough.

Next up were Stars Down To Earth, a great little band, nice songs of indie pop delivered well. The crowd were jubilent.

Then someone else who as far I could hear were poor. I then left as I only came to see Stars.

Pixies in Dublin's Olympia in late September.

Editors in the same venue in early October.

Josh Ritter on Friday, Bell X1 on Saturday.

Muse and The Prodigy in November.

I heard they were class. A mate of mine went to see them. It was two weeks ago wasnt it?

I heard they were class. A mate of mine went to see them. It was two weeks ago wasnt it?

Yeah, two weeks back.

Was a decent gig. I dont have their new album so only recognised stuff off their last album. Their music lends itself quite well to live performances but they stuck to the album recordings. Personally i prefer when bands mix it up for live performances.

Hmmm. I think that maybe the idea is to post a review of the gig. What do you reckon slick?

Tough audience.

Pixies were only OK. It pains me to say it. I was looking forward to this gig for so long, but I ended up slightly disappointed. They played for exactly an hour, then came back on for a three song encore. They mainly played songs from doolittle with a little bossanova thrown in. Very little from Surfer Rosa, which again was dosappointing as that is my second favourite album.

I believe they played for two hours at some other gigs in the UK, which ads to my disappointment.

For Editors review see previous post. I will give my verdict on Ritter and Bell X1 over the weekend.

Pixies last show of the tour at Brixton Academy. Awesome, just bloody awesome. And they finished with Where's My Mind and Gigantic, which (I've been led to believe) was the first time they played on the whole tour. I thought playing Doolittle in it's entirety worked really well. 9.5 wave of mutilations out of 10. Boo-ya.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ShoePiss
Airborne Toxic Event at the Ritz last night, ace venue, ace band, ace closeness to a Revolution bar and this is an ace tune.

[YOUTUBE]yVS0zGgZyys[/YOUTUBE]

Seen them a number of times now, back in February I won access to a special session they were doing through the local radio station. They were writing songs for their new album which was pretty cool to watch. Saw them last month too.

They're playing Portland again next month along with The Bravery for the princely sum of $9.47 (the radio station's frequency 94.7FM) which I will be going to also.

Saw Modest Mouse last month and they did an excellent set playing new stuff mixed with a lot of their older tunes.

Saw Kasabian in Glasgow last night. Can't think of any other current bands who could create such an electric atmosphere, it was fuckin mental which is unusual at the SECC. Band were on great form, their rhythm section is superb and they now have plenty of great tunes. Better than Oasis ever were? 8/10.

Was that the Echo gig, mate? I thought they were outstanding.

It was mate yes. As I said I realy loved there albums but i just thought they were boring live. 6/10

Now I went to see the Killers early this year and they were 9/10

Went to see Kings of Leon 8/10.

Bob Dylin 8/10

The Specials at the Olympia

Fantastic set in a proper old fashioned frayed around the edges slightly sleazy concert hall. The band were on good from, Terry Hall was very unhappy about Uniteds gutless performance at Anfield, he dedicated "Do Nothing" to Michael Owen and renamed "it doesnt make it all right" to "Nick Griffin is a fat, racist, one-eyed, holoucaust denying cunt"

They blasted through all the old favourites, Rat Race, Ghost Town, Too much too young, message to you rudi, Gangsters etc. Man at C&A was a particular highlight and the only slight disappointment was they didnt play the skinhead moonstomp.

Loads of arl arses bouncing around for an hour and a half, walls driping by the end of the night. Loved it, best £35 I've spent in ages.

sadly under-used venue the olympia, miles more atmospheric than the aircraft hanger on the docks.