You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gigs I have been to recently thread

Thants

Went Slam Dunk a couple of weeks back with 7 friends, spent the whole day running into old mates, colleagues and estranged family members of the group. Drank a skinful of over-priced beer and saw NOFX do possibly the best set I've ever seen them play.

A lot of the bands from the original line-up pulled out but were replaced with British equivalents, which is ideal for us because they all came from the ska-punk scene I grew up with. Getting to sing along with spunge and capdown like we were in an old dive bar club, but it's a massive stage and the sun is shining. Great times.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Superb that last night. Only caught half of the Zutons because the queue was huge. Easy to get a drink but the prices were a joke. 8 quid for a can. Went with my missus and her two mates and one of them bought a bottle of crap rose wine, 31 quid. 

Zutons were ace as usual but Chic were off the scale. Absolutely superb. I had a cone on my head at one point. The place was bouncing and surprisingly, very few bellends about. 

8132CFCC-C50C-471A-A3B7-CD50DC6C8F77.png

4D37AF98-5060-405A-BFAE-B2DF7157B86D.jpeg

Glad you enjoyed it.Fucking hate getting ripped off on the ale prices.

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Superb that last night. Only caught half of the Zutons because the queue was huge. Easy to get a drink but the prices were a joke. 8 quid for a can. Went with my missus and her two mates and one of them bought a bottle of crap rose wine, 31 quid. 

Zutons were ace as usual but Chic were off the scale. Absolutely superb. I had a cone on my head at one point. The place was bouncing and surprisingly, very few bellends about. 

8132CFCC-C50C-471A-A3B7-CD50DC6C8F77.png

4D37AF98-5060-405A-BFAE-B2DF7157B86D.jpeg

Looks good! I’ve got tickets for Sunday. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Went Slam Dunk a couple of weeks back with 7 friends, spent the whole day running into old mates, colleagues and estranged family members of the group. Drank a skinful of over-priced beer and saw NOFX do possibly the best set I've ever seen them play.

A lot of the bands from the original line-up pulled out but were replaced with British equivalents, which is ideal for us because they all came from the ska-punk scene I grew up with. Getting to sing along with spunge and capdown like we were in an old dive bar club, but it's a massive stage and the sun is shining. Great times.

Missing this shit massively. Long time since I had the pleasure of a decent gig. 

Hopefully, Le Guess Who in Utrecht in November. John Dwyer out Thee Oh Sees is one of the curators and there's some fantastic stuff planned. 

6 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Missing this shit massively. Long time since I had the pleasure of a decent gig. 

Hopefully, Le Guess Who in Utrecht in November. John Dwyer out Thee Oh Sees is one of the curators and there's some fantastic stuff planned. 

Was a great way to get back at it. Got a split venue fest in London next month I'm a bit more concerned about. Expecting an over-packed headline set in a pokey New Cross pub.

15 hours ago, Pidge said:

Capdown we’re great, but I thought Nofx was seriously boring. Less talk and play better songs!

popes we’re awesome as always, and seeing Snuff again for the first time since Uni was just wonderful.

2 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Capdown we’re great, but I thought Nofx was seriously boring. Less talk and play better songs!

popes we’re awesome as always, and seeing Snuff again for the first time since Uni was just wonderful.

Playing dinosaurs will die puts it immediately up with their better sets. The banters better than the days of him being shitfaced.

Seeing pope's again in new cross in a few weeks, was well impressed by their set although not listened to them much.

1 minute ago, Pidge said:

Playing dinosaurs will die puts it immediately up with their better sets. The banters better than the days of him being shitfaced.

I’ve seen them 5 times now all told. Saw them headline a one day festival in east London somewhere - Stratford I think it was - in about 2001 which was their first Uk show in a long time. That was the best, and they’ve gone a bit worse each time since.

was just so nice to be back at a gig though. Said that line to about 30 strangers over the course of the day.

even had a single toke of a spliff for tye first time in a decade or so a couple of songs into the Skints set which made that whole set just utterly wonderful.

great day.

5 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Seeing pope's again in new cross in a few weeks, was well impressed by their set although not listened to them much.

I’ve seen them half a dozen times probably, and they always deliver. Great energy and really good songs. There was a long while after seeing them first at rebellion (in 2018 I think) that I’d listen to their (first) album every week at least once. Apart from the second track, which part of my dislike for was personal circs at the time, I like every song.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I’ve seen them 5 times now all told. Saw them headline a one day festival in east London somewhere - Stratford I think it was - in about 2001 which was their first Uk show in a long time. That was the best, and they’ve gone a bit worse each time since.

was just so nice to be back at a gig though. Said that line to about 30 strangers over the course of the day.

even had a single toke of a spliff for tye first time in a decade or so a couple of songs into the Skints set which made that whole set just utterly wonderful.

great day.

Yeah 2002 Reading is still probably the best for me, but it was my first, followed by the punk in drublic tour a few years back. Enjoy some of their new stuff though, so loved the mixed set they did, Six years on dope especially.

16 hours ago, Pidge said:

Civil Disobedience is a great album. 

I loved Sponges first EP, but not too arsed after that.

• Upvote 1

I’ve got tickets to see Spunge in Leeds in December because my mates are supporting and I haven’t seen those lads in 2 years. 

I’ve never particularly liked spunge, but that first album was fun. There’s a line in one of the songs though that pops into my head at least a few times a year, which is quite a thing to say for a band 99% of people won’t have heard of.

”you live and work and will probably die in the same town you were born”. It’s a great line.

• 3 weeks later...

Genesis at the Arena last night. Collins is fucked physically and his voice has suffered but still a fantastic gig. Amazing back catalogue and threw in a bit of old Genesis as well with Carpet Crawlers ans Lamb Lies Down. Must have felt a bit odd singing 'You're no son of mine ' with his lad behind him on drums.

Apologies for football on gf ,  but amusing as Collins is waffling on and says ' great game today and your lot are still at the top of the league ' prompting a storm of boos from our noisy neighbours. Collins stops , obviously a bit baffled , then clearly vaguely remembers about Everton  and says ' oh yeah , forgot you are a two club city '. Left the Bloos proper fuming.

• Upvote 2

On a more serious note , I was very surprised with all that is going on at large that at the end of the concert every person coming out of each block were all herded in one stream of humanity the length of the Arena and only allowed out of 3 single doors at the front. A lot of people seemed quite upset and worried by this mini crush. Guy next to us said it is a regular occurrence and is to ensure everybody has to go past all of the concession stalls and food and drink outlets.

52 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Genesis at the Arena last night. Collins is fucked physically and his voice has suffered but still a fantastic gig. Amazing back catalogue and threw in a bit of old Genesis as well with Carpet Crawlers ans Lamb Lies Down. Must have felt a bit odd singing 'You're no son of mine ' with his lad behind him on drums.

Apologies for football on gf ,  but amusing as Collins is waffling on and says ' great game today and your lot are still at the top of the league ' prompting a storm of boos from our noisy neighbours. Collins stops , obviously a bit baffled , then clearly vaguely remembers about Everton  and says ' oh yeah , forgot you are a two club city '. Left the Bloos proper fuming.

Great show, Afterglow and Duchess were the highlights for me. Nic Collins was excellent. Watching clips on YouTube again now. 
Always like that getting out from the floor seats, even though they have side exits they send everyone down that back exit. 

• Upvote 1