You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Cure

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

• 3 years later...

Went to see them last night at Wembley Arena.

It was superb - much, much better than I expected.

A 2 hr 40 min set - 28 songs.

Arguably the best sound > have ever heard in a large arena - crystal clear, great separation - and fuck me can Robert Smith sing...

The sound mix was great - the vocals were clean, clear and crisp and the drums and bass were thumping - properly vibrating through you.

6 men on stage - every sound coming from those men, no pre recorded bollocks/augmentation like you see with a lot of bands using loops and fills etc.

The new songs sounded interesting as well - long, sprawling songs.

Superb gig.

• Upvote 2

I can’t believe how good they still are.  Smith’s voice is still exceptional.

Could have done with some of the newer stuff being replaced by a few left out classics but that’s nitpicking and I’d never get all my favourites played by a band with such a huge back catalogue.

I see Paul Weller mocked Smith lately calling him out for having his hair the same in his sixties and said he'd give him a slap if he ever saw him. I'd love to see Smith batter the Wellend headed cunt. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.joe.ie/amp/music/paul-weller-robert-smith-758863

He's a f***ing knob end'

Paul Weller has launched a brutal personal attack on The Cure's Robert Smith, labelling him a "f***ing fat c**t" in an interview.

He was speaking to Record Collector for a special edition of the magazine in honour of the former Jam singer when he made the remark.

Weller seemed to take issue with the suggestion from the interviewer that one of the songs on Noel Gallagher's upcoming album sounds suspiciously like The Cure's 1980 classic A Forest. According to the magazine, Weller responded to this observation with a mixture of “incredulity and revulsion”.

“Really??!” the singer-songwriter continued. “I can’t fucking stand them. F***ing fat c**t, with his lipstick and all that bollocks. He is my age as well, isn’t he?”

Weller added: “He’s a f***ing knob end. I don’t like him. There you go. There’s someone I would work with. I’d f***ing slap him, or something.”

The Cure and The Jam's linked music history

It is not quite clear why Weller has such a passionate dislike of the Cure frontman, but according to Louder Sounds, The Jam inadvertently helped Smith's band during the recording of The Cure's debut album Three Imaginary Boys.

Back in 2004, Smith told Rolling Stone: "The Jam were recording their album during the day, and we used to sneak in at night and use their equipment – we knew the bloke who was looking after it – to record our album. We just borrowed tape and stuff."

Or it could be that Weller is still upset over a comment Smith made in 1985, when he mentioned Weller during an interview in which he said that punk wasn’t a political movement.

He said:"It [punk] later became that, because people wanted it to be seen as a movement."

Smith claimed that people were dissatisfied with listening to “bands like Yes and Genesis“, and instead “wanted to hear something they could dance to”.

“Even people who think they’re socially aware and lend their names to things, like Paul Weller and stuff…  I mean it does no good at all, ultimately,” Smith explained. “Because you’d have to be particularly stupid to believe someone like Paul Weller.

“You’d have to be particularly stupid to believe someone like me.”

3 hours ago, Grinch said:

I can’t believe how good they still are.  Smith’s voice is still exceptional.

Could have done with some of the newer stuff being replaced by a few left out classics but that’s nitpicking and I’d never get all my favourites played by a band with such a huge back catalogue.

I enjoyed hearing the new stuff - fact it exists stops them becoming purely a heritage act, which IMO when it does happen is the exact moment artists start to die.

55 minutes ago, Mook said:

Has Paul Weller ever weighed more than about 12 stone?

He's certainly pretty skinny in recent pictures although he does tend to look like someone's auntie.

Last time I saw him being interviewed he had a massive pot belly. He was still thin everywhere else though. Wearing those slim fit button down collar shirts wasn't doing him any favours. It was a few years back,within the last 10 for definite.

5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Last time I saw him being interviewed he had a massive pot belly. He was still thin everywhere else though. Wearing those slim fit button down collar shirts wasn't doing him any favours. It was a few years back,within the last 10 for definite.

Fair enough, I don't follow the fat cunt's career very closely as he's shite.