You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Marcus Trescothick

Paul

What a fucking brave, brave fella. Absolutely gutted for him that he's had to fly home from the cricket CL after a recurrence of his anxiety/depression disorder. To keep putting himself to the test like that whilst in the full glare of public attention whilst suffering from such a misunderstood and stigmatised illness is amazing, I reckon. It's a real shame for English cricket too, because he's a very talented player. I've got huge admiration for him.

Only posting to echo what you've said there Paul. Talented brave cricketer who deserves to be respected for what he's achieved and not maligned for later part of his test career and dropping out of this series.

I've been fortunate to see him bat and see him makes some high scores for England in important Test Match (Edgbaston Ashes in 2005 springs to mind) Brilliant facing the new ball and more than capable of stepping it up if need be. Lovely stroke player. It was great to see him return to form (albiet at a short boundary and on one of the most lifeless wickets at Taunton seen for many year in county cricket). Over 1800 CC runs at about an ave. of 75.

I wish the lad all the best. Unfortunately Sussex got relegated last season so seeing him down Hove next year is less likely.

England would be a much better team with Tresco in. Much much better.

I'm glad he tried, he didn't want to grow old having doubts about whether he could have pushed himself harder to travel successfully. No shame in it not working out. Wish him all the best in his future county career.

Guest The Big Green Bastard

can anyone enlighten me on what triggered his stress reaction, i heard a rumour that someone was shagging his wife whilst he was away on tour? any truth in that?

Think you are getting him mixed up with Graham Thorpe, his missus was nailing his physio whilst he was on tour.

Thorpe was a genius too, naturally right handed but decided to bat left handed because it looked better.

Banger is a fantastic player, gutted for him.

can anyone enlighten me on what triggered his stress reaction, i heard a rumour that someone was shagging his wife whilst he was away on tour? any truth in that?

Nah, from what I remember, he was away on tour and had a stress reaction, he was embarrassed about it and didn't tell anyone what the issue was. He flew home and the England management put out a statement saying that he had gone home for "personal reasons". The press assumed this was his missus playing away.

I heard this rumour too. I was in Oz for the Ashes in 2007 and managed to get tickets for the game at the SCG. Ended up sitting next to a fella who's been in the barmy army fo years and knows the players. We got onto the subject of Tresco as our batting had been shit and naturally the talk was of players who could improve the team. Anyway he told me that Marcus's wife was caught out whilst he was away and that led to his meltdown. Obviously until your hear it from the player himself, its only ever gonna be speculation but thats a story i heard. Then again i also heard rumours Vaughan was piping her too so you take everything you hear with a pinch of salt.

Anyone read Trescothick's book? He goes into great detail about his illness and it's not something I can get my head around. I wouldn't try say that I understand what he's going through (even after reading his version of events) but he showed balls going abroad for this tournament and it's a shame that the illness is still with him.

The England team would be much better with Trescothick in it but I wish him all the best for his future career.

Anyone read Trescothick's book? He goes into great detail about his illness and it's not something I can get my head around. I wouldn't try say that I understand what he's going through (even after reading his version of events) but he showed balls going abroad for this tournament and it's a shame that the illness is still with him.

The England team would be much better with Trescothick in it but I wish him all the best for his future career.

His book is one of the best sporting books i have read