You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

3-5-2

I know it's not 1996 anymore but looking at our top eleven players in our squad we'd suit 3-5-2 to a tea

-----------------------Pepe-----------

----------Skrtel--------Carra-----------Agger

Johson------------------------------------------Insua

----------------Mascherano---Aquilani----------------

------------------------Gerrard----------------

-----------------Kuyt------------Torres

Never seen Aquilani play, so i've just stuck him in centre mid and hoped for the best. Remember Rafa playing 3-5-2 at Wigan, West Ham and Newcastle (all away) a few years ago and we won all three. Only thought about it because I don't know who to drop outta Carra and Skrtel if Agger's back holds up?? And our two full backs look more like wing backs.

This time next year you'll have Dossena on your back of your shirt..

3-5-2 works well against 4-4-2 because it silences their fullbacks while providing an extra man in midfield. However it is weak against any formation with a single striker such as the 4-5-1 variations that are most common nowadays, because it leaves 3 relatively central defenders covering 1 striker, leading to an inevitable numerical disadvantage elsewhere on the pitch.

It's okay if you've got the centre halves for back-up. We've only got 3 and one's injury prone. It also puts a massive strain on the wingbacks as they're basically doing two jobs.

It fucked up Rob Jones good and proper, and when Evans started losing the likes of Wright, Scales and Ruddock he had no choice but to go back to 4-4-2.

I liked watching that team play but the formation had its limitations and (as often happens at Anfield) there was no plan B.

Definitely an option, but more useful away than at home (where you're more likely to be facing two strikers anyway, rather than teams coming here and packing the midfield). Rafa always does his homework meticulously, so sure if this was deployed it would be done so in the appropriate games. Looks nice!

As for overtired fullbacks they only do that extra work if we face a particularly counter-attacking team - otherwise the entire midfield should be covering when we're not in possession anyway.

The difference between us, I suspect, is that you actually remember watching the "Wunderteam"

Don't let my vast knowledge of football history lead you into thinking I'm older than I am.

I also know who won the Battle Of Hastings but I wasn't there at the time.

• 2 months later...

I'd like to see us give this formation a go, with Lucas instead of Mascherano, due to the suspension:

_______________________Reina___________________________

________Skrtel_________Carragher _________Agger___________

Johnson________Aqualani________Mascherano___________Aurelio

__________Benayoun__________________Gerrard______________

________________________Torres___________________________

I'd like to see us give this formation a go, with Lucas instead of Mascherano, due to the suspension:

i'm a fan of any formation that does not include Kuyt

Guest PurpleNose

Rather play 4-3-2-1

Reina

Johnson Carragher Agger Aurelio

Gerrard Mascherano Riera

Benayoun Aquilani

Torres

Feel a bit silly including Aquilani is any line up though really.

i'm a fan of any formation that does not include Kuyt

:lol:

In a 3-5-2 how about -

-------------Reina------------------

------Carra--Skrtel--Agger-----------

Johnson----Mascherano----Insua---

-------Gerrard----Lucas------------

----------Benayoun----------------

--------------Torres----------------

I know it is more of a 3-5-1-1 and it doesn't look as pointy on the BBC squad selector.

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | L | Liverpool | Squad Selector

Edited by rubberduckstyle

we've amassed a squad of players where we seem to struggle to fit in any conventional formation. 352 would work if we had anything like a second striker, a left footed central midfielder and a genuine hyypia replacement.

as it is we don't but its probably the only way we'll see barring injury gerrard, torres, aquilani, masch and yossi in the team together.

the more i look at it the more of a fuck up our recent transfer dealings look.

thatll do for me cocker! rock on tommy!