You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sunderland Match Thread (17th October 2009)

Herp McDerp

I dont think benitez's poor (imo) man management nor his insistance on not making changes until late in a game (70th minute today) help one jot.

We can argue all day about how much he's had to spend, net spend against expecting someone to just pump hundreds of millions into the club, who he's bought and sold etc etc but, he's got to manage with what he has.

Its not the first time bruce has out thought benitez. southgate did it last season and look how the team was playing then.

Benitez has two things saving him at the moment, 2005 CL win and the two owners who are taking flack over the purse strings.

But that aside, benitez should be doing better than this.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst i may have issues with Rafa and his management I would likie it put on record that he has my full support until the Owners have gone.

Lets not lose focus on who the enemy is year and its those Yanky cunts who need to die a very painful death and very quickly

USA TWATS OUT NOW

Valencia didn't want £30m for Silva.

I heard we had a deal in place with the other half of Alonso's transfer funds, but the yanks wouldn't release it. Something like £17m.

I have no inside knowledge but would be absolutely amazed if Silva was available for less than the likes of Valencia cost Man Utd.

Valencia didn't want £30m for Silva.

I heard we had a deal in place with the other half of Alonso's transfer funds, but the yanks wouldn't release it. Something like £17m.

Nope, we asked how much Valencia wanted and they gave us a price which we thought was way overpriced and then moved on.

We did not have a deal in place for him.

Nobody , player or manager emerges from today with any credit.

Sunderland are now a decent team so don't think the result is a massive surprise with arguably our 3 best players missing , but the thing that is bugging me is ( like the Fiorentina game particularly ) the casual way we started the game like we owned the fucking place.

I always remember Strachan saying after we walloped Coventry at one point that ' If the other team has better players than you & works as hard as you , you will lose the great majority of those matches '. No matter what injury/selection problems we have we need to get back to the 'hunting in packs' mentality' which seems to have slipped.

I have stuck up for Babel on here , but I was wrong & he should not play for us again.

On a more positive note , 2 massive performances this week would leave us in the mix in the prem & CL with practically a whole fit squad available.

On a more positive note , 2 massive performances this week would leave us in the mix in the prem & CL with practically a whole fit squad available.

That's a really good point actually. As worried and as disappointed as I am, I'm still gonna reserve judgement until next week.

And Coop is playing out of his skin on this thread to give us all a sense of perspective, just a shame that there's none more deaf than those that refuse to hear. Or something.

but the thing that is bugging me is ( like the Fiorentina game particularly ) the casual way we started the game like we owned the fucking place.

Good point. I was watching how many times our back line and Lucas/Spearing were rushing their passes and making mistakes cos Sunderland were working hard and pressing.

We wanted to take our time as we do alot away from home (Spurs in particular this reason) so we could play our game and resorted to too many long balls and back passes to Reina. Tactically Rafa was out thought, does'nt matter who was playing as this attitude of playing slow does'nt help us.

Gutted, ntaurally , we were shocking but a victory against the mancs and we 4 points adrift with 28 games to go.

It's a familiar pattern though, mate. God knows how many times we've been in this position before in the past. 'Beat the Mancs and we'll be 4 behind them', 'if we win and the Mancs get beat we'll only be x behind', 'if we win and the Mancs draw there we'll be x behind.'

If we win the League this season, I'll show my arse in Burtons' window.

If they have no doubts by now, they never will... Like those who backed Houllier till the end.

In all seriousness UR. getting rid of Rafa is probably the worst thing we could do.

We would have to pay him an Alonso fee and any new manager meeting the owners would be asking 'how much have I got' the answer will put genuine world class managers off.

We would only end up with a desperate klinsman or Curbishley who would manage to keep us mid table.

On reflection I don't wan't Rafa sacked or for him to resign simply because there is no viable alternative not because I have any faith in Rafa to win any silverware except maybe the odd cup here and there.

If they have no doubts by now, they never will... Like those who backed Houllier till the end.

How you can even compare Houllier to Benitez is fucking beyond me.

Gerrard and Torres got injured , we lost to a well organised team, we played poorly. End of.

Just for the fun of it , given our finacial plight, who exactly would you replace Rafa with?

Nobody , player or manager emerges from today with any credit.

Sunderland are now a decent team so don't think the result is a massive surprise with arguably our 3 best players missing , but the thing that is bugging me is ( like the Fiorentina game particularly ) the casual way we started the game like we owned the fucking place.

I always remember Strachan saying after we walloped Coventry at one point that ' If the other team has better players than you & works as hard as you , you will lose the great majority of those matches '. No matter what injury/selection problems we have we need to get back to the 'hunting in packs' mentality' which seems to have slipped.

I have stuck up for Babel on here , but I was wrong & he should not play for us again.

I think it would be unfair to criticise the players for that today. Mainly because they've been doing that for at least a year now. It's a strange policy whereby the first half is treated with outright contempt before playing like the 1970s Brazil in the last twenty minutes.

Today was arguably the worse display of the calender year, even worse than Everton away or Stoke. It took us 92 minutes to create a decentish chance, by then they'd had 3 sitters and potentially more had they actually been a decent side.

Forgot to mention that Steve Bruce is a bellend. How childish was his fronting Rafa over fuck-all; if Rafa had hit him, I'd be prepared to overlook the numerous mistakes he made today; as it is, that was just another one.