You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sunderland Match Thread (17th October 2009)

Herp McDerp

Not good. Very unlucky for the goal off the beachball, but we still had 80+ minutes to respond and we didn't really go at them until the last few minutes. The lack of urgency in the side is worrying. Bad luck - can't do anything about that. Losing to a better side - difficult, but you have to take that on the chin. But today? We were out-muscled and Sunderland just seemed hungrier.

I'm not quite despairing yet. Chelsea lost today and Man Utd were lucky to get a draw at Sunderland with an own goal saving them last time out.

But while I'm not despairing yet, it certainly doesn't look very good. Must, and will, improve.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were going to be starting the game without Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres and Javier Mascherano. Three of the worlds top players. Our two key defenders badly out of form, another defender making his first return from long term injury and a young lad making his debut. We were playing against a team that are playing very well and should have beaten the Mancs in their last game bar a last minute own goal. Why is anyone suprised?

Our start was just as shaky last season as far as general quality of play and defending goes, yet we beat United without Gerrard and Torres. I'm not throwing in the towel in october when we can be four behinds the leaders by next weekend. I'm amazed at how quickly people give up on here.

We were going to be starting the game without Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres and Javier Mascherano. Three of the worlds top players. Our two key defenders badly out of form, another defender making his first return from long term injury and a young lad making his debut. We were playing against a team that are playing very well and should have beaten the Mancs in their last game bar a last minute own goal. Why is anyone suprised?

I think people are more angry at the lack of urgency, lack of willingness to actually fight. Fair enough if we get beat, but getting beat, while not trying is criminal.

We`re in absolute dire straits at the minute and if things go tits up in the next two games, I think Rafas position will become pretty much untenable.

Despite the owner issues, it`s Rafas team with his players and his tactics and as such he takes the ultimate responsibility and the squad he has built at great expence is patently no where near good enough. Unfortunately his new mega contract will almost certainly save him from the chop and condemn us to a lot more of this shite.

I think people are more angry at the lack of urgency, lack of willingness to actually fight. Fair enough if we get beat, but getting beat, while not trying is criminal.

Aye, that's fair. I was expecting the worst today, and we got it. But without fight, it makes it very hard to take.

Trust in Rafa, Trust in fucking Rafa, I'm not surprised by the result, without are best first 11 we are not capable of beating a side Sunderlands level, that was nothing short of embarrassing, the league is well lost and I can't see us finishing in the top four. The isn't knee jerk or negativity it's a fact, the squad is as bad as it's been in some time, Rafa the inept stubborn twat can fuck off and don't let the door hit him on the way out.

no one is surprised mate,thats the point sadly.our squad is woefully poor

Trust in Rafa, Trust in fucking Rafa, I'm not surprised by the result, without are best first 11 we are not capable of beating a side Sunderlands level, that was nothing short of embarrassing, the league is well lost and I can't see us finishing in the top four. The isn't knee jerk or negativity it's a fact, the squad is as bad as it's been in some time, Rafa the inept stubborn twat can fuck off and don't let the door hit him on the way out.

I haven't reached that point yet but I have to say I'm fast approaching.

We`re in absolute dire straits at the minute and if things go tits up in the next two games, I think Rafas position will become pretty much untenable.

Despite the owner issues, it`s Rafas team with his players and his tactics and as such he takes the ultimate responsibility and the squad he has built at great expence is patently no where near good enough. Unfortunately his new mega contract will almost certainly save him from the chop and condemn us to a lot more of this shite.

we have about 5 internationals out of the team for one reason or another, so it's not going to condemn us when they come back. if we have our first team fit we can beat anyone

Our start was just as shaky last season as far as general quality of play and defending goes, yet we beat United without Gerrard and Torres. I'm not throwing in the towel in october when we can be four behinds the leaders by next weekend. I'm amazed at how quickly people give up on here.

If Gerrard and Torres don't play next weekend, hand on heart, are you confident of beating United?

If they don't play, I reckon we will get bum raped in broad daylight.

compare the team we put out today with the team that played last year when Gerrard and Torres were missing.

We've lost Alonso, Keane and Hyypia since then and replaced all of them with lesser players

we haven't really replaced Keane because the owners made the money disappear (or it went on wages or something) and the only defender we could afford was the greek